Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Makeshift Studio setup?

Since I got my Nikon, the girlfriend has been hinting that she wants to take some pictures . I want to as well, but taking pictures with a house background doesn't look all that well.

My question is, can I set up some sort of makeshift studio setup using a white sheet and the corner of a room? I am not looking for anything even ameteur worthy, just something fun to play around with. Is there any hints that you can give me? Or anything that will help my pictures turn out a little more professional (ish)?

Also, is there maybe a website or a video online that may explain some tips and hints as to what may help? Anything else that you would like to inform me about? Has anybody done something like this before? Any examples?

PS- No, you guys wont be getting any of the good shots

Quote Originally Posted by Myboostedgst View Post
    PS- No, you guys wont be getting any of the good shots
    You posted that and you want help? Forget it buddy!

Seriously check Youtube there should be some reasonable tutorial type stuff there. Also search for info from Bob Krist and Joe McNally both of them have sites with plenty of helpful info.

Get a large black or white sheet, use a couple of clothes pegs and some mild improvisation to attatch it to a curtain rail or some such thing, make sure there's plenty of light, and experiment.
    Gear List:
    Canon 40D + Sigma 18-50mm + Canon 55-250mm

My Gallery

I'd strongly suggest Nikons "Creative Lighting DVD" (by Bob and Joe).

That has a segment showing the difference different lighting sources make. I'd also suggest as a minimum an off camera flash.
    D800, D300, D90, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200VR f2.8, 300 F4, 105 micro, 16-85VR, 50mm 1.8, Tammy 90 macro, 70-300VR, SB900, 2xSB600, MB-D10, 055XPROB 322RC2. New computers to run photoshop faster. C&C always appreciated. PhotoGallery
    Pressing the shutter is the start of the process - Joe McNally ... Buying the body is the start of the process - Dread Pirate

I do have a SB-600 that I can use. But I unfortunatley dont have a remote trigger system yet. Maybe I will try that Ebay one to see if I can get a hang of it. From the reviews it seems like it wouldn't be a bad starting point for someone learning who has no need to get the shot right the first time.

I will be looking through those guys websites to get some more info. Do you know if there is anywhere online that the Nikon DVD is available to watch? Or is it a purchase only video?

As I said in the earlier post there is plenty of info from those two guys on Youtube or their blogs.

Aaaaah, try google and "photography lighting techniques" search engines can be your best friend.
    I thought about who I am... and realized I was an
    unformed, unreconciled imagery, without "GOD"

NikonD?
    and some other Nikon stuff

0.0%

I have found strobist.com a huge help for lighting information. They have a "lighting 101" section that can teach you everything you need to know to get started. As far as a background you can also head outside and use a stone wall, wood fence etc etc. You can also put some space between your girlfriend and the background and throw it out of focus. I have used a sheet as well and found ironing it was worth the time it took.
    ESP
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ezperkins2/
    Nikon D300
    Sigma 70-200 2.8 II
    Nikon 50mm 1.8
    Sigma 15-30mm 3.5/4.5
    SB-600 x2

Quote Originally Posted by esp View Post
    I have found strobist.com a huge help for lighting information. They have a "lighting 101" section that can teach you everything you need to know to get started. As far as a background you can also head outside and use a stone wall, wood fence etc etc. You can also put some space between your girlfriend and the background and throw it out of focus. I have used a sheet as well and found ironing it was worth the time it took.
    I set a can of Mountain Dew on a chair and took a few photos of it with a sheet as the background. Yes, I will have to iron it as you can see all of the folds (It is a brand new sheet). I only have the 18-55 kit lens, so I will not be able to get as much out of focus as if I had a 35/1.8 or equivalent.

I did buy the Nikon Creative Lighting DVD with Krist and Mcnally. I am planning on watching is soon. Heopfully that will give me some more ideas and educate me on lighting techniques.