Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Cool The REAL "Dynamic Duo" ?

The REAL "Dynamic Duo" ?

Over the past couple years, embroiled discussions have come and gone between the absolute utility of initially having the 18-(200)250mm f/3.5-6.3 lens, over any other.

The complaints abound that it is "not bright enough" for indoor use. The solution … get a flash. The 18-(200)250 is actually “brighter” across its range than the SONY 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6 DT “kit” lens.

But, I say there is still another option that TAMRON has recently released that covers a lot more ground than many others, that can alleviate the use of a flash. That solution is in the form of the …

TAMRON SP AF 60mm f/2 Di-II LD 1:1 MACRO (IF) lens

It you pair the 18-250 (most current incarnation of this lens for the SONY-mount) with this 60mm f/2, you have a one-two punch for indoors and outdoors. At f/2, the 60mm takes a terrific shot with your ISO at 1600 and your speed at 1/30th sec. under most indoor ambient light conditions (no flash required). That solves the lighting issue, right there, with one lens.

Not only that, the 60mm mounted on an APS-C sensor camera (if you do not own a a850 or a900 DSLR … yours is one of these) represents a 90mm full frame shot, which for a 1:1 MACRO shot is correct length. So, another hurtle falls to just one lens.

Outdoors, for flexibility, the 18-250 has no match. It can conveniently get the wide stuff and with a quick twist of the zoom ring, instantly reach across the park and zero-in with a 250mm close-up. It totally eliminates the need to change lenses. Again, if you desire to use this wide lens feature, indoors, you will, more than likely, need an external flash (SONY HVL-F42AM) to properly light a room.

So, regardless of the flash, two lenses … that provide an awesome range of capabilities.

I recommend you throw that “kit” lens away and start fresh with the

(Click on the below links to get a peek)

TAMRON AF 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di–II LD Aspherical (IF)

&

TAMRON SP AF 60mm f/2 Di-II LD 1:1 MACRO (IF)

This is a simple APS-C two lens solution, to start off with, to try and successfully solve life’s little problems.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-10-2010 at 06:50 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Or instead of the quite expensive Tamron 60mm F/2. You could opt for the Minolta 50mm F/1.7 and the Sony 50mm F/2.8 macro lens.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Question Shape changer? Nope!

Hey Ryan,

You did know that the SP AF 60mm f/2 Di-II LD 1:1 MACRO (IF) does NOT change its shape when focusing, right?

Some things are worth paying for ...
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Hey Ryan,

You did know that the SP AF 60mm f/2 Di-II LD 1:1 MACRO (IF) does NOT change its shape when focusing, right?

Some things are worth paying for ...
    Didn't realize it had internal focusing. I haven't used such a macro, but I bet it's nice.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    The REAL "Dynamic Duo" ?

Over the past couple years, embroiled discussions have come and gone between the absolute utility of initially having the 18-(200)250mm f/3.5-6.3 lens, over any other.

The complaints abound that it is "not bright enough" for indoor use. The solution … get a flash. The 18-(200)250 is actually “brighter” across its range than the SONY 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6 DT “kit” lens.

But, I say there is still another option that TAMRON has recently released that covers a lot more ground that many others, that can alleviate the use of a flash. That solution is in the form of the …

TAMRON SP AF 60mm f/2 Di-II LD 1:1 MACRO (IF) lens

It you pair the 18-250 (most current incarnation of this lens for the SONY-mount) with this 60mm f/2, you have a one-two punch for indoors and outdoors. At f/2, the 60mm takes a terrific shot with your ISO at 1600 and your speed at 1/30th sec. under most indoor ambient light conditions (no flash required). That solves the lighting issue, right there, with one lens.

Not only that, the 60mm mounted on an APS-C sensor camera (if you do not own a a850 or a900 DSLR … yours is one of these) represents a 90mm full frame shot, which for a 1:1 MACRO shot is correct length. So, another hurtle falls to just one lens.

Outdoors, for flexibility, the 18-250 has no match. It can conveniently get the wide stuff and with a quick twist of the zoom ring, instantly reach across the park and zero-in with a 250mm close-up. It totally eliminates the need to change lenses. Again, if you desire to use this wide lens feature, indoors, you will, more than likely, need an external flash (SONY HVL-F42AM) to properly light a room.

So, regardless of the flash, two lenses … that provide an awesome range of capabilities.

I recommend you throw that “kit” lens away and start fresh with the

(Click on the below links to get a peek)

TAMRON AF 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di–II LD Aspherical (IF)

&

TAMRON SP AF 60mm f/2 Di-II LD 1:1 MACRO (IF)

This is a simple APS-C two lens solution, to start off with, to try and successfully solve life’s little problems.
    Wait a minute, wasn't someone just making fun of an f/4 kit with a 50 f/1.8 as an indoor solution that fit someones budget? Why yes I think they were. Boy this sure looks similar in function, yes less expensive, but basically a slow mediocre lens paired with a reasonably fast prime. Hmmmmm! sounds very familiar....
    A good photograph is knowing where to stand.
    Ansel Adams

Rule books are paper, they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.
    Ernest K. Gann-Fate is the Hunter.

Red face Raking through the past ...

There was no TAMRON SP AF 60mm f/2 Di-II LD 1:1 MACRO (IF) lens back then, my friend. For about $150 more, this new addition basically offers the new user tremendous kick start to their photography, unlike the simple AF 50mm f/1.4, by providing most excellent TRUE MACRO capability. I suggest t that this is the best time to start.

For the cost, the challenge says there simply is nothing better or more flexible, unless you start buying used and discontinued lenses, inviting all sorts of maintenance and other issues people do not want. This pair of TAMRONs offer a six-year warranty ... and can be used well into the use of any other lens combination, for quite some time, before the new and better lenses exceed the capability of the superzoom.

What is the point of continually downing a very reasonable approach to getting it going?

If the "kit" lens was one solution, I suggest this is a much better one. That's it! I mean, what are you really saying here? For the SONY mount, this is a pretty plain and simple "beginning suggestion." As for Canon & Nikon, it would be the 18-270 "VC" version, but the "masses" are still going to need some kind of anti-sh-sh-shake in the PRIME lens. It's 2010, for goodness sake, and that problem STILL has not been addressed by Canon or Nikon. I mean, c'mon, what are they thinking?

Got an opinion, put it forward. Heck, commit to it and do a side-by-side.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-10-2010 at 01:02 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Opinions are good.

I wouldn't push the 18-250mm lens.

At 18 mm the lens is at it's sharpest but barrel distortion is very strong.

At 250mm it's decidedly soft, pincushion distortion is strong, focussing is slow and it will hunt except in the strongest light (hardly surprising with a max aperture of f6.3 coming in at 150mm). Even f11 is hardly sharp and colour fringing becomes strong.

Bokeh? well that's pretty bad too.

Shove this lens on the front of your shiny new DSLR and it effectively turns into a superior P&S. It may be great for holiday snaps but a tool for serious photography it is not and at around $600 I don't see it as cheap.

The entry level user probably has an 18-55mm Kit so my advice is to go out and buy a $150 Minolta 70-210mm f4 Beercan. I mean, what do you want, a P&S or an interchangeable lens DSRL.

There's plenty left for a $200 Sony 30mm f/2.8 standard lens and a $100 Minolta 50mm f1.7 Portrait lens.

Hey, thanks for sharing that, Peter.

I sure for the thousands of newly purchased intro-DSLRs, there are thousands of f/4 "beercans" just waiting on ebay to be bought and mounted. I forgot about ALL of those.

Another oversight on the way to the store.

flickr & Sdi

That's OK, Don, nobody's perfect.

BTW there are 23 (13 in UK) Beercans on the US eBay at this point in time. There are also some described as Beercans which are not.
    Last edited by Peekayoh; 01-10-2010 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Typo

Thumbs down The "who cares" & "whatever" generation

There are 100 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 lenses ready and waiting at B&H. Brand spanking new with major league warranties (6-yr) slapped on each & every one. What kind of warranty do you have on a long, forgotten "beercan" when it becomes ... trouble? Uh ... I would suppose: nada. What? Go buy another one? With the same non-existent warranty?

That's just perfect!

I come from a time when kids used to park their bicycles, by using the kickstand. All of them standing nicely erect and parked in some kind of order. Those bikes tended to last for a long, long time. Over the past twenty years, I have watched as these recent kids simply ride up and, quite literally, allow their bicycles to fall over and land in whatever haphazard pile that builds up. So, applying that kind of diligent care to their respective DSLR ... THEY NEED THE WARRANTY!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-10-2010 at 10:42 AM.

flickr & Sdi