Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

sony photo software

i just purchased a new alpha230 and was wondering how good the software
    is that came in the package. i currently have picasa on one of my laptops
    and was wondering which is better. by the way i am absolutley new to the dslr world but am learing alot thanks to forums like this one.

My best advice would be to shoot RAW, bring it into the Sony software to set white balance, adjust exposure, etc, and then use Picasa to manage the photos.

I eventually switched to Adobe Lightroom, which does a good job with both the RAW conversion and managing a library.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

Thumbs up Welcome to the forum

Welcome aboard, 'gboa' ... and I hope you get a lot out of the compilation of information and ideas that have been accumulated here.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

i have been shooting in raw + jpeg, what are some advantages/dis advantages to just shooting raw. i'm just a newbie trying to learn.

Raw-you will have to process every shot before you can send post print ect..jpg you can pop out prints right away..depends on what you want to do with the pics realy...raw uses more memory...how good of a computer do you have?

gboa, Hello and welcome.

Giving this sort of advice to a complete newcomer to the DSLR world is a bit of a nightmare. Learning how to use your camera, learning about exposure, composition, DOF, Bokeh etc,etc,etc is plenty to go at, and then the added complications of post processing and RAW conversions. There is an awful lot to learn and it's enough to put anyone off. You can't hope to learn everything at once so you need to develop your camera handling and photo techniques as a priority. You may have a grounding already (but you did say you were a newbie), see if there are any courses at the local Tech, some are free.

I'd continue to shoot RAW+JPEG; looking at the JPEG's, be absolutely ruthless in chucking anything that doesn't come up to scratch (unless it's unrepeatable like the kids growing up) as you'll be experimenting and there will be a lot of dross. Archive the RAW files which you can always return to when you have mastered RAW post processing.

Diverging a bit, we've had some discussion in the A450 thread about why a DSLR novice would choose Sony. As an A230 purchaser you fit the bill and it would be instructive to know your reasons for choosing Sony over Canon or Nikon or any other for that matter.

And this is a little off topic for software... but the first book I tell everyone to get is "Understanding Exposure."
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

[
    Diverging a bit, we've had some discussion in the A450 thread about why a DSLR novice would choose Sony. As an A230 purchaser you fit the bill and it would be instructive to know your reasons for choosing Sony over Canon or Nikon or any other for that matter.[/QUOTE]

I started out as most dslr newbie do: thinking of getting a better point and shoot then they already have. then it becomes for a little more money you
    can enter the budget dslr market so why not.
    i picked the sony because of the following reasons: price and generally good
    reviews, body image stabalization over lens, sd card, reasonable choice of
    lenses and prices due to the fact they are not stabalized, easy to use guide for us newbies, good reputable company. canon, nikon and olympus were all considered but failed in one or more of these aspects. This is my fist sony camera as i have had previous canon and kodak point and shoots, so it's not a brand loyalty thing.
    also, I have big hands and handling the camera isn't as bad as i've read, although the canon xs did fit a bit better.
    if the a450 was available when i was looking and in my price range I would no doubt put
    it at the top of my list.
    Last edited by gboa; 01-09-2010 at 01:45 PM.

Lightbulb Beginning the climb ...

The α230 is a solid start into interchangeable lens shooting. You are going to find out, that that was the cheapest part of shooting a DSLR.

Despite its ranking in the system, if you are going to buy another lens (and I have to assume you are, because you bought this kind of camera), you need to consider better glass right from the start, not low-end glass. While it may not seem to be very important in the beginning, if you are really going to get a solid jump on pricing, you do not want to have to replace your lens more than TWICE. Once for a good one and once for a GREAT ONE!

Please consider the sticky posting (<- click on this) at the beginning of this forum for solid, good choices in lenses. Worry about GREAT lenses when you get the best camera you can.

This is just some advice ... but it is time tested and should eventually save you hundreds, early on. .

Good luck with your α230.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Thanks, gboa, food for thought.
    I take it came with the 18-55mm?
    Don't forget to post pics and questions. There's always someone to help out.