Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Cool Some indoor, long-range test shots (800mm f/8 Reflex)

Here is a 60-ft shot inside the Cabela's store in Hoffman Estates, IL. I was out there picking up my new rangefinder (Bushnell "SPORT 600" Laser Rangefinder, good from 5 - 800 yds and rainproof - $169 {I had a $20 off coupon from the Cabela's website - good until Monday, 1/11/2010}).

Name:  60ft-handheld-800mm_DSC4228.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  393.9 KB
    EXIF: SONY α850 w/ 800mm - f/8 - 1/60 sec - ISO-2500 - CWA - Manual - Ambient lighting - Handheld - Subj Dist = 60 ft

Name:  100ft-800mm-f8_DSC4237.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  585.7 KB
    EXIF: SONY α850 w/ 800mm - f/8 - 1/60 sec - ISO-2500 - CWA - Manual - Ambient lighting - Handheld - Subj Dist = 100ft.

And, for what it is worth, take your "kit" lens and dog outside ... pace off 100-feet ... stake the dog's leash ... walk back to where you began and set the "kit" focal length to 70mm (or 55mm, if that is as long as it goes) and have it. Shoot the nonsense out of "Bowser" as he barks and yips for you to come back and get him. How dare you walk off like that! Shame on ya!

Then blow-up the resulting images up to proportionally match this one. Check resolution. Let me know how that works for ya. Enjoy

I have to admit ... it is a bit of a challenge, at this 800mm focal length, at 1/60th sec. 1/15th is quite simply impossible ... you would really need a tripod. Still, pretty cool for a $200 lens, indoors.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-09-2010 at 04:51 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

No, it's not. Cool, that is.

Show me a better $200 800mm lens, my friend.

I suppose you could slip a 2x T/C on a 400mm and have a spirited contest. Most 400mm do not AF with a 2x T/C on them, but then the 400mm is definitely a whole lot more than $200 ... and the T/C, alone, might be, also!

What's wrong, Peter, forgot how to have a little fun with your optics?
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-09-2010 at 04:52 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Can't do that, Don.
    Not knocking your choice but it wouldn't do it for me, sorry.

Okay ... it is an optional lens ... lightweight and ... okay, it's just lightweight ... on the budget and the IQ.

I do not envy those dudes dragging around those $6000, 10-12lb. tailpipe-looking lenses.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-09-2010 at 04:55 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Mind you, not really fair without a tripod.

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Okay ... it is an optional lens ... lightweight and ... okay, it's just lightweight ... on the budget and the IQ.

I do not envy those dudes dragging around those $6000, 10-12lb. tailpipe-looking lenses.
    You'd envy the photographs they take...or you should. I'd rather have no photo than those photos. Each to his own I guess.
    A good photograph is knowing where to stand.
    Ansel Adams

Rule books are paper, they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.
    Ernest K. Gann-Fate is the Hunter.

Unhappy The AGONY of photography ... in other words, "Get real!"

Man, if your back is up to the leverage, have at it. Carrying a bowling ball worth of weight for image taking is just too much for this guy. When I was 20-30, sure ... but 50? I value waking up in the morning. Sorry.

Of course ... there is always this solution for arm-chair photographers, I suppose ...

Name:  tank_wheelchair_resized.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  168.0 KB

just in case you want to sport, or should I really say "support" one of these ...

Name:  Monster_vs_400mm.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  43.2 KB

I agree that most any Reflex lens cannot provide superior images under less than ideal lighting. It's a solution for weight, not IQ (Image Quality). You need to be very delicate when focusing these mirror-lenses ... there is not a lot of slop when doing it and camera-shake ... SSS just is over-taxed at 800mm. It is all manual. But, you have to love the framing of such a lens. The bear's head fills the frame, at 100'! Awesome.

I am not a big time long lens shooter, by any means, so my investment in such lensing is ... well-budgeted. But, what I do support is having a cheap lens or two in your arsenal that can at least offer you a chance to get something up close and personal. I would not say publish them, but when you are out in bear-country, on "safari" ... and the bears are not hovering around your car, but are off feeding on some poor unfortunate ... you STILL have a quick lens that gets right in there at 3 of FOV.

You'd have to agree, it's a bit of a rough run-for-your-life toting a "sewer-pipe."
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-09-2010 at 07:16 PM.

flickr & Sdi