Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Exclamation Sony adds the A450 to the line-up

Here's the press release link: α450 (<- click on this)
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

instead of using their muscle to bring significant change to the dslr landscape, sony treat it like a glorified P&S market and have become an embarrassment in the process.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

My biggest question is: "If you have only one lens, how many different SONY DSLR models can you mount it on, this year, and still get the same sized image?"

I can't do a single poll with this ... there are just too many options!

Now, as some kind of saving grace, there is at least word that SONY is developing an Alpha 3D DSLR camera ... which uses just one optical lens ... and that would definitely be a fun item to incorporate into the ALPHA mount.

Check this out:

Name:  Optical system for single lens 3D Camera.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  19.7 KB
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-04-2010 at 10:24 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    instead of using their muscle to bring significant change to the dslr landscape, sony treat it like a glorified P&S market and have become an embarrassment in the process.
    The A450's not for me but It seems like a reasonable proposition and reasonable upgrade for A200 users.
    If you like the specs of the A550 but have no interest in Live View, then you save a bit of cash.
    Interestingly it retains Direct Manual Focus Check Live View!
    I'm not certain but it looks like the same body as the A550 so that's a plus for those who dislike the A2/3xx series handling.
    I can also see it as a second body for A7xx and up users. Ok so there's no DOF button or MLU but that's less of an issue on a second body.
    I suppose there'll be an A400 along soon, presumably with the smaller sensor.

So, Sony an embarrassment? To whom! As I said, the camera holds no interest for me nor does anything below the A700 but that doesn't mean that their strategy is a bad one. Yes, I'd love to see an A700 replacement, but I can wait; my A700 is an excellent camera and does everything I need apart from not being FF.

Unless I'm missing something, Sony's strategy seems to be to expand their user base by persuading the P&S brigade into the Sony camp, rather than the rather pointless exercise of wooing Canikon users. That requires a wide selection of lower end cameras and at this point in the A mount development, it seems to be at the expense of the higher end cameras. Whether the strategy is right remains to be seen but, in Europe, I believe they are now second in terms of market share.

Rooz, I don't uderstand your statement, neither do I know why you care. Sony certainly doesn't; they understand that your investment in Nikon hardware means that you are probably wedded to Nikon for life in the same way that Minolta users, like me, with a big investment in Minolta glass are now wedded to Sony for the duration

I actually like this camera, but I'm really not into Sony's idea of an SLR for every hundred dollar range. I felt like they needed a semi-serious camera for a little cheaper than the A500, and many people are going to be willing to give up live view. Also seems like a great backup body for an A850/A900 user. Yes an A700 or its replacement is better as a second body, but this should be considerably cheaper. And I guess at this point they have low, medium, high for very entry, then low, medium, high for upper entry, which seems dumb but I guess makes a little sense. If highest MP is important to you, get the A380 or the A550. If you don't care for LV get A230 or A450. Does this mean there will be a new FF A800 with slightly lower specs than the A850 (or an A950 with slightly higher specs than the A900), and 3 A700 replacements? I sure hope not.

And... to their credit, this seems to be a pre-announcement-announcement. As in this isn't a big deal, so they announce it a day before the real press conference. However if this real press conference doesn't have anything really good in the way of an A700 replacement, I think Sony is going to have some big trouble in the advanced amateur market.

Edit: I missed that this is an A550 without live view, not an A500 without live view, so it has higher FPS and 2 more megapixel. Plus I think a review a read gave a slight edge to the A550 in high ISO noise, which BTW seems to be a lot better than Sony's prior cameras, and I hope that trend continues for whatever they announce next. But with that in mind it makes it an even stranger camera. 2.6" screen (which I assume is not the VGA screen in the A550 and A700). Might be more expensive than the A500?
    Last edited by laydros; 01-05-2010 at 06:27 AM.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

Pardon me, but wouldn't the mirror design the the above diagram simply record a normal image in two halves? Looks to me like it just reflects one half of the image to one sensor and one half to the other. Unless there's a 3D tech I'm unfamiliar with that doesn't work?
    Gear List:
    Canon 40D + Sigma 18-50mm + Canon 55-250mm

My Gallery

If the A450 is a harbinger of things to come, I'll be quite happy.
    When the A700 replacement arrives it will probably have live view and who knows what other extras to satisfy the reviewers.
    Will there then be an A600 with all those useless (to some) extras stripped out for less money.

Quote Originally Posted by Peekayoh View Post
    If the A450 is a harbinger of things to come, I'll be quite happy.
    When the A700 replacement arrives it will probably have live view and who knows what other extras to satisfy the reviewers.
    Will there then be an A600 with all those useless (to some) extras stripped out for less money.
    Good point.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

Red face Where does it "shake & bake?"

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    Pardon me, but wouldn't the mirror design the the above diagram simply record a normal image in two halves? Looks to me like it just reflects one half of the image to one sensor and one half to the other. Unless there's a 3D tech I'm unfamiliar with that doesn't work?
    Apparently the stereo-effect takes place in the "parallel lights" area. I am uncertain.

All I am certain of is that is does work for the 240 FPS camera they built using the design.

flickr & Sdi