Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Lightbulb The Most Wonderful Time ...

Hey ... look at the calendar. Yeah, just around 35 days left till a photographic holiday. We should have enough members of the forum to put together some great Christmas shots, this time.

I know I always look forward to seeing some serious effort ... and yet, somehow, Santa leaves me deprived and a little more than depressed. I usually have to run out and cheer myself up with a major lens purchase!

How about we turn that around this time? Dress up the kids for the holidays ... stick them up the chimney ... hanging out of the Christmas tree ... sledding through the decorations ... heck, have them growing reindeer antlers out of the sides of their respective heads.

You might even consider something that could draw some REAL fire from the furnace?

Name:  sexy santa helper.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  44.3 KB

Click the shutter and let's ALL get something posted, this time.

Don't make me make a list!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 11-17-2009 at 11:20 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

I want one of those...

very nice lighting there Don. see you can do it if you put your mind to it !
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Lightbulb Dear "S.O. & S.O.", for Christmas ...

Okay, here is something you new SONY users can put on your Christmas list ...

Are you tired of trying to get a decent shot out of that awful 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6 "kit" lens you swear someone
    probably dropped into your box with your DSLR camera?

Well, here is an appropriate layout in lenses to make up for that faux pas and will make for a pretty well-rounded, third-party lens selection, that is going take serious money to beat.

The "Killer" Beginning Bag line-up *

Dear __________________, "love of my life" ... please consider these lovely lenses BEFORE anything else you may be considering for my Christmas gift.

|_| SIGMA 10-20mm f/4-5.6 DC EX HSM
    |_| TAMRON SP AF 200-500mm f/5-6.3 Di LD
    |_| TAMRON SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD Aspherical (IF)
    |_| TAMRON SP AF 70-200mm f/2.8 Di LD (IF)
    |_| TAMRON SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF)

Print this and just "accidentally" slip this little list of suggestions on the table ... one or two of them will be nice, ALL five ... priceless.

Merry Christmas!

Name:  bag off.gif
Views: 231
Size:  21.7 KB <- Click on Santa ... "All I want for Christmas..."

* - Until something better comes along ...

BTW: If you are a "student", ask about TAMRON's "Student Discount" at your retailer.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 11-23-2009 at 10:31 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Question Holiday stresses ... rockin' our world

Anyone doing the holiday houselights in a special way, this year? Yeah, I know these are "dark times" for the country ... and Thanksgiving & Christmas are just about the only things that seemed to have stayed "traditional" in any shape or fashion, other than no one has a free buck to spring for the extras.

We will get through these government giveaways and reclaim the sanity. Those printing presses only can collapse the economy just so far .. then it all becomes rather meaningless in the super wave of hyper-inflation. To heck with gold, I am waiting for my lenses to increase in value to 20x their current value.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    very nice lighting there Don. see you can do it if you put your mind to it !
    I'm pretty sure that's a catalog photo for the costume.
    Ouch.

Wink Stock shot ... for impact.

Quote Originally Posted by cdifoto View Post
    I'm pretty sure that's a catalog photo for the costume.
    Yeah ... that girl is a pro model ... and that particular "public domain" shot sells the costume, for sure.

Just for fun, I wanted to run some prices by you all (fortunate enough to read this) ... for you and your "S.O" to consider:

First, the SONY selection:

Sony SAL-1635Z 16-35mm f/2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* (1.9 lb) ....... $1,899.99 (Wide-Angle Zoom)
    Sony SAL-2470Z 24-70mm f/2.8 Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* (2.2 lb) ................... $1,599.99 (Normal Zoom)
    Sony SAL-70200G Zoom AF 70-200mm f/2.8 APO G(D) SSM (3 lb) ...................... $1,799.99 (Telephoto Zoom)
    Sony SAL-70400G Zoom AF 70-400mm f/4-5.6 G(D) SSM (3.4 lb) ....................... $1,799.99 (Super-Telephoto Zoom)

Total .................................................. ............................................. (10.5 lb) ...$6.899.96

versus the much lighter and more controlled costs of using SIGMA/TAMRON.

SIGMA 10-20mm f/4-5.6 DC EX HSM (1 lb) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$499 (UWA)
    TAMRON SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD Aspherical (IF) (1 lb) . . . . . . . . . . . . $429 (Wide-Normal Zoom)
    TAMRON SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) (1.2 lb) . . . . . . . . . . . . .$389 (Normal-Short Tele Zoom)
    TAMRON SP AF 70-200mm f/2.8 Di LD (IF) (2.5 lb) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $649 (Telephoto Zoom)
    TAMRON SP AF 200-500mm f/5-6.3 Di LD (2.6 lb) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $849 (Super-Telephoto zoom)

Total .................................................. ............................................. (8.3 lb) ...$2,815.00

Time to go shopping, eh?

Merry Christmas ... I hope.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 11-24-2009 at 10:51 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Cool Choosing what is "important" to your shots

Still, there are things to consider, when spending on lenses. Take, for example, the TAMRON SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) MACRO. While it does a really nice job, the edge of your image will soften a bit, which does not happen to the same degree with either the SIGMA AF 24-70mm f/2.8 IF EX DG HSM or the SONY CZ 24-70mm f/2.8, and therein lies your real defensible difference in price -> Center-to-edge focus. Please note that the SIGMA can be found for around $849 ... while the SONY is, as noted above, $1,599.99

If you feel this is a critical aspect of your photography, then the price goes up ... but, you will be hard pressed to find a reason to choose the SONY over the SIGMA for performance at all levels.

While the TAMRON is going deliver a nice, sharp center focus ... when you get to the edge of your frame, it'll be the SIGMA or SONY waiting to real get you the goods.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 11-25-2009 at 10:58 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Cool Light me up!

Well, we finally had a decent weekend in the Midwest to do something substantive around the house ... in regards to outdoor decorating. Anyone else pulled the pin on the electric company's enjoyment of the increased illumination activity?

I ordered one of those Gemmy Lightshow w/ timer devices and hooked up 90% of the outdoor lights to it. I also converted 90% of the outdoor Christmas lighting to L.E.D. style lights, to reduce costs. The lightshow device drops the lights to almost 25% duty-cycle. This could be the cheapest December electric bill ever.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 11-28-2009 at 09:09 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Yeah ... that girl is a pro model ... and that particular "public domain" shot sells the costume, for sure.
    Not to be a spoil-sport but isn't it paramount to plagiarism to post someone else's photo on a photo-forum without giving credit ? The assumption is that it's your work.

I get the feeling you're sort of owing us a modeling image of some Sexy Ms-Santa . Show us what those Tamron lenses can do Don.

Good theme though. I would like to go make something distinctly Christmasy to post.
    Lots of Canon DSLR stuff.