Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Head north 'til you smack a polar bear, then crank it back 50 miles.

RAW Processing on the Mac

I've decided to start shooting in RAW mode on my D60, but reading numerous message threads and reviews has left me wondering which RAW converter I should be using. CaptureNX appears to be decent, however lack of Snow Leopard support concerns me. Of course, Adobe Camera RAW is well regarded, and if I have to drop 600 bucks on it, I guess I will. I see there is another converter called Bibble that looks intriguing. Not much on the forums about it, but various Mac websites give it a healthy thumbs up, going so far as saying its better than Camera RAW.

So what say you folks? What are you using right now, and why? Ever used Bibble, or any of the other less popular choices?

Thanks.

Rod

I took a few RAW shots this afternoon, and while I'm busy asking dumb questions, I'll ask this one too: If RAW captures the scene as the sensor sees it, why aren't the processing options like Active D-Lighting and Image Optimization not disabled?

Edit: So I played more, and I noticed that various settings still make a difference in the RAW output. So how do you guys prefer to shoot your RAWs? Leave all the optimizations at base settings and use your RAW processing software to "develop" it?

Rod
    Last edited by DiamondSCattleCo; 12-31-2009 at 02:45 PM.

Try the beta of Lightroom 3. You will get free use of the product until April 2010 and if you haven't decided to buy by then you can dump it. Who knows Nikon may have Snow Leopard support by then. Just remember that the beta is a beta and there are some bugs but generally it seems fairly stable.
    The same installation of Lightroom will run on both Macs and PC's and the licence actually allows you to have it loaded on two computers.

You do not need to spend $600 to get ACR. Simply buy Elements 8 for Mac (under $80) ACR is free and will work within the Elements package.

Thanks Kiwi, I'll give it a shot. I'm not a big fan of Lightroom 2, but maybe 3 will be better. I'm downloading several demos right now and will play with them for the next little while. Ever used Aperature 2 for RAW work?

Your best choice for Nikon NEF's is Capture NX, but the no support is a big deal and not knowing when they will kind of sucks if you are looking into making a purchase soon.

I think K1W1s suggestion is a good one.
    Jason

"A coward dies a thousand deaths, a soldier dies but once."-2Pac

A bunch of Nikon stuff!

I've been using Aperture for all my RAW processing for 3 years now. I can't compare it to the others but I've been pleased with the application.
    Nikon D3, D300, F-100, 10.5 Fisheye, 35 f/1.4, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.4, Zeiss 100 f/2, 105 f/2.5, 200 f/4 Micro, 200 f/2 VR, 300 f/2.8 AF-S II, 24-70 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8, SU-800, SB-900, 4xSB-800, 1.4x and 1.7x TC
    (2) Profoto Acute 2400 packs w/4 heads, Chimera Boxes

K1W1's right. Buy Elements and use ACR. It works great on my Mac.

Your other question: because RAW isn't really 100% RAW.
    Adam
    -------------
    Canon 60D & lenses & flashes & stuff
    A bunch of cheap vintage film cameras

My Etsy store

I got a chance to play with NX2 for a bit tonight. I really wish I'd listened to everyone on here and started out with taking raw shots right from the beginning. I've got nothing worth posting here, but I was able to use the warming adjustment to really liven up a few shots that I normally would have butchered in PS Thanks for all the help everyone.

For what it's worth I really like Capture NX. I know others love lightroom for quick tweaks (in fact so do I) but I find LR really really limiting when I want to get an image right.

Capture NX reads the camera settings the shot was taken and thats what you see but you can adjust them after the shot losslessly in NX.
    D800, D300, D90, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200VR f2.8, 300 F4, 105 micro, 16-85VR, 50mm 1.8, Tammy 90 macro, 70-300VR, SB900, 2xSB600, MB-D10, 055XPROB 322RC2. New computers to run photoshop faster. C&C always appreciated. PhotoGallery
    Pressing the shutter is the start of the process - Joe McNally ... Buying the body is the start of the process - Dread Pirate

Quote Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Roberts View Post
    For what it's worth I really like Capture NX.
    Giving that advice to a Mac user is down right mean and nasty.