Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

A girlfriend upgrade dilemma.

I should probably state that I am not looking to upgrade my girlfriend But she is the reason I write this.

I've been shooting around with a D40 for a year now. All is great and I'm happy with it. Along comes 'Poly' and says she want's a DSLR so naturally I offer mine, being the gracious person that I am, thinking of getting something better.

Now that my D40 is all but gone, I'm having second thoughts I would get the D90 body and use the 18-105mm lens I already have. But I just read Ken Rockwell's review of both the D90 and D5000 and he keeps going back to "my D40 does that..." in both cases. And quite honestly, for an amateur that I am, his views of D40 getting the job done are probably spot on in my case. So I'm a little stuck/frustrated.

There will be a few thousand mile difference between us for a few months so I can either live without a DSLR for a while, or get something else.

Alright, end of rant. What do you guys think?
    Nikon D90, Nikkor 18-105mm f3.5-5.6 VR, Nikkor 50mm f1.8D, Nikkor 55-200mm f4-5.6 VR. Always looking for creative criticism.
    Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 P&S.

I'd listen to a Best Buy sales person before I listen to Ken Rockwell but that's just me

The D90 is a badass camera!
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

You appear to be in a situation where the choice is between retaining girlfriend 1.0 and upgrading camera 1.0 to camera 2.0 or uninstalling girlfriend 1.0 and retaining camera 1.0.
    The fact that you have even posted your query is a clear indication that you have fallen victim to the initial stages of NAS so it is inevitable the camera 2.0 and lenses 2.0 through 9.0 will eventually be installed.
    Retaining girlfriend 1.0 could possibly lead to marriage 1.0, mortgage 1.0, kids 1.0 through 3.0 and statistically, alimony 99.9 followed by marriage 2.0 and the cycle continues. During this whole process you ability to support your obvious NAS addiction will be severely curtailed both financially and time wise. You will go though life dreaming of the D9503 and the 14-24 f1.8 VR1V lens, you will hold your hands in front of your face in the classic picture frame shape and think "if only" and you will shake uncontrollably every time you are in a situation where it will seem every other person has a camera.
    The best possible advice I can give in your situation is to totally ignore this post and forget that you ever read it.

LOL your are too much sometimes K1W1...
    Nikon D90, D40 Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 | Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 35mm f/1.8
    Vertical Grip, SB-600, SB-24, Sunpak 433D, Metz 40AF-4N, Alienbees CyberSync Triggers

R3G Media | Flickr

"You're pulling some awesome action shots with a cam and lens that are supposed to be rubbish ! " - Rooz

If I had a D40 and had the money to upgrade to a D90, I'd do it in a heartbeat. It's a great improvement over the D40.

And read Ken Rockwell for the unintentional funnies, not for advice.

Thanks K1W1. That was by far the funniest reply I could have gotten, especially the marriage 2.0 But it does appear that in an effort to keep girlfriend 1.0 I shall go with camera 2.0. That was pretty easy.

Thanks

But wait, what is NAS?
    Last edited by polvadis; 12-09-2009 at 03:15 PM.
    Nikon D90, Nikkor 18-105mm f3.5-5.6 VR, Nikkor 50mm f1.8D, Nikkor 55-200mm f4-5.6 VR. Always looking for creative criticism.
    Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 P&S.

I second what photowerkz said (both about the D90 and Ken Rockwell), since hes the only one that has offered advice to your question thus far
    Jason

"A coward dies a thousand deaths, a soldier dies but once."-2Pac

A bunch of Nikon stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by polvadis View Post
    But wait, what is NAS?
    Nikon
    Aquisition
    Syndrome

It's terminal I'm afraid.

BTW I also third or fourth the comments about the blogger mentioned. If you are going to upgrade (cameras) the D90 is by far the best value for money option for you.

D90, I'd buy it if I wasn't broke from wife 5.0... same wife this just happens to be the fifth revision. Everytime I get close to figuring one out here comes an update. Somewhere along the line I missed the course on wifenomics, it has something to do with forever being broke and never understanding why?
    I thought about who I am... and realized I was an
    unformed, unreconciled imagery, without "GOD"

NikonD?
    and some other Nikon stuff

0.0%

Surely if its the same wife she would be 1.5?
    You know the rules .x revisions are the minor updates and X. revisions are major platform changes.