Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post

A700 w/ CZ 135mm f/1.8
    @ f/1.8 - 1/50 sec - ISO-100 - Spot Focus - Manual

or I will have a long face.

HAHAHA first laugh of the day. Thanks for that Don!
    Nikon D90, D40 Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 | Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 35mm f/1.8
    Vertical Grip, SB-600, SB-24, Sunpak 433D, Metz 40AF-4N, Alienbees CyberSync Triggers

R3G Media | Flickr

"You're pulling some awesome action shots with a cam and lens that are supposed to be rubbish ! " - Rooz

You can expect it to have perfectly round (circular) bokeh at f/1.8. You have to stop it down.

Take a look at what you will be getting (It's f/2.8).

http://www.photozone.de/sony-alpha-a...135_18?start=1
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Got the SONY MF 135mm f/2.8 [T4.5] STF, tonight. It really is a marvelous manual focus piece, and one that can only be appreciated by those who enjoy using MANUAL.

This makes like the seventh manual lens that I have ... so it'll fit right in.

Now, where's that DOG?

Ahh, another one OFF my wish list. Merry Christmas!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 12-17-2009 at 08:35 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

I thought you wanted to get something that will improve your actions shots?
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

Red face A change of heart...

You really need to go back and re-read some of this thread, Elisha. The flash can wait awhile. I want to try some other pushy ideas first, before I really get dipped into that system changer.

This lens came at a sincere bargain, so rather than let it slip away, I invested in my artistry ... instead of my illumination.

Name:  a850-w-135-STF.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  340.2 KB

Looks right at home,doesn't it?
    Last edited by DonSchap; 12-17-2009 at 09:04 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

I know you wanted the STF, but I thought you were gonna go the need first route rather than the want first!

I picked up a 540EZ for manual use and damn this thing is nice!
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

Question Where did the weekend go?

Moving into the season:

The SONY α850 creates some rather impressively large files (36MB RAW, 24.2MB cRAW & 11.5MB JPEG). As such, my modest storage capacity has been ... well, "tested", to say the least with files nearly 3x the size I am used to. So ... as solution always do ... I opted for another one. I purchased a 2 TB "My Book" eSATA-connected twin drive RAID device, to work in concert with my modest firewire-800 750GB that I had been using with the α700 files.

There really is nothing to the actual hooking it up from the PC, if you have an eSATA-port already in it. Just an eSATA-cable (not the same as a standard SATA cable and was not included with the 2 TB device) and the power supply.

Name:  eSATA-drive-and-cable.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  287.7 KB

If do not have the port in your PC, the installation of that eSATA-port interface card will be the hardest part. Well, that and the obligatory formatting (at least 3 hours) of the 2TB hard drive device, once it is attached.

The advantage of eSATA is that offers speeds 3x faster than USB 2.0 and 2x faster than Firewire 800. When you are doing large backups ... that speed is extremely handy to have.

Unfortunately ... these changes took most of the weekend, as after I finally got it all "singing" the same tune, but it took the better part of a day to backup my online data files on the RAID 1 330GB C: drive and twin 500GB drives. Whoa! Lotsa data!

Sunday afternoon, I got it all finished ...

We did not get the rather impressive SNW-whack that Frank and the other East-Coasters enjoyed. We could actually open our front doors, without a mountain of snow pouring in, but it looks like we are due a steady snow straight to Christmas, starting tomorrow.

If there is any shopping to be done ... better get it done today, Chicago!

The retailers are hungry!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 12-21-2009 at 02:52 PM.

flickr & Sdi