Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Cool Got that burning "itch" again!

No, do not be silly, it's not that one.

The "I want a new part added to my optical inventory" itch. Every photography victim of their manufacture has this. Some worse than others. You find a problem ... and you break out the wallet and solve it. Consumerism at its finest. If everyone did it ... I am pretty sure we'd all be broke.

Rationale: After photographing the indoor, college basketball games, I am finding myself rather limited with the darn indoor lighting ... I am willing to take the next step and get the consummate "fire-starter", the Metz mecablitz 76 (see "My Gear List", 'el WISH LIST' - near the bottom. Click on the flash's name).

This bad boy is like being 'punch drunk' and someone keeps wailing on you, but you cannot see who they are. Just flashes and purple haze, when you close your eyes.

Anyway ... it is the end of 2009, Q4 ... otherwise known as "Christmas" ... and I will find out if it makes its way here. C'mon Secret Santa! Name:  xmas dancers.gif
Views: 113
Size:  15.3 KB

I can just hear them now ...

Name:  digital flash capture.gif
Views: 116
Size:  6.6 KB "OMG ... I can't see! Name:  blast flash.gif
Views: 115
Size:  12.5 KB And, put out that drape! It's on fire!"
    Last edited by DonSchap; 12-12-2009 at 01:16 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

$1000 for a flash ? wow. and you were complaining about the cost of the CZ 24-70 ?
    glad to see you're "value for money" theme is consistent ! lol
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Red face What lights up your wallet?

Technologically, this represents superior firepower, indoors. No matter how great the glass, f/2.8 is just still just ... f/2.8! Where in the heck are you going to get all the extra light from? At f/1.8, I was feeling kind of light starved. You need a powerful reach, sometimes, and this kicks bootie in that regard.

Basically, that's just $1000 for the base flash. It actually is a heck of lot worse than that, with:
    1. the external recharge power pack, $400
    2. cables, $45
    3. 3-yr anti-drop insurance policy, $180
    4. the custom manufacturer matching TTL-interface. $85
    5. Slave Module $65

All totaled ... $1780

Yeah, easily the price of a CZ 16-35mm f/2.8 lens! The CZ 24-70mm f/2.8 is cheap, @ $1600, by comparison.

When you are shooting 50-feet away from your subject ... the HVL-F58AM just does not have the "oomph" to get out there. Plus, the darn thing overheats after ten consecutive full-power shots and eats batteries at an incredible rate. Thirty-feet is really pushing it. This Metz "bad-boy" is said to "light the house", so I think am going to find out.

While the 24-70 is just one lens, this 'micro torch' works with ALL my lenses. I would have to say that's "a utilitarian power play." YMMV
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

dayum.....thats pretty bad ass.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

And... exactly what do you plan on doing with said flash? You ain't takin' sports pictures with it, that's for sure.
    E-510
    E-1
    Zuiko 14-54 F2.8-3.5 MkI
    Zuiko 70-300 F4.0-5.6
    Konica Hexanon 52mm F1.8
    Cullmann 2503
    Benro KS-0

i never needed one at 2.8..

Smile The light that causes rainbows ...

Again ... this has been a choice for a long time. You get torn when you see the problem and want a resolution. I may have been a bit premature ... but, that still remains to be seen. The pressure is off, for a good month ... until school starts up, again.

Maybe I'll delay this for a lit bit. See what falls out.

flickr & Sdi

This is an on-camera flash for basketball photography?

What about just using and expanding your PW collection?
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Again ... this has been a choice for a long time. You get torn when you see the problem and want a resolution. I may have been a bit premature ... but, that still remains to be seen. The pressure is off, for a good month ... until school starts up, again.

Maybe I'll delay this for a lit bit. See what falls out.
    Well, the resolution is get a camera with a higher usable ISO.
    Any sports team important enough to have a paid photographer sent out to their games is not gonna let you use a flash strong enough to light up the entire gym. Way, way too distracting for players.
    E-510
    E-1
    Zuiko 14-54 F2.8-3.5 MkI
    Zuiko 70-300 F4.0-5.6
    Konica Hexanon 52mm F1.8
    Cullmann 2503
    Benro KS-0

Yeah,

I gave this a little more consideration, as I sat down and realized the "negative" impact I might have doing so. Oh, it is one thing to be snapping a pick-up game or something, but the organized teams would, more than likely, be adverse to such a tool.

I am not afraid to backup when I may have made an error in judgment. There really is no point in pressing a relatively bad position. Admittedly though, this is one kick your rump sideways ball of light. As school progresses, I may have need for it in another form, not sports.

I am hoping SONY's new a7xx DSLR will have a better high-ISO solution at its APS-C sensor, providing a better sports response and eliminate the need for power flash. We all would benefit from such a tool, Canon and Nikon, alike ... as SONY "willingly" shares it knowledge level for such a design. (Yeah, that'll happen )

As I have excitedly reconsidered this purchase, for the moment, I am putting the brakes it for the time being. I know it can honestly solve a lot of lighting scenarios, but there just might be a better push for the required resources ($) than this. It'll just stay on the WISH LIST for now. I can always pull the trigger on it later.

Thank you for your feedback, folks. That's why I enjoy this forum.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 12-12-2009 at 11:36 PM.

flickr & Sdi