Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

B&H Experiences Returning Opened/Tested Camera

I was wondering if any of you have purchased a camera from B&H before, but ended up returning it after opening it and testing it out.

How was your experience?

Did B&H charge you their 15% restocking fee? Seems like it's up to their discretion whether they charge the restocking fee or not.

I've returned stuff that was defective and had no problems. They were great to deal with. If you're returning an item because you changed your mind, especially after opening and using it, expect to pay the fee.
    Adam
    -------------
    Canon 60D & lenses & flashes & stuff
    A bunch of cheap vintage film cameras

My Etsy store

Quote Originally Posted by acmbun View Post
    I was wondering if any of you have purchased a camera from B&H before, but ended up returning it after opening it and testing it out.

How was your experience?

Did B&H charge you their 15% restocking fee? Seems like it's up to their discretion whether they charge the restocking fee or not.
    They didn't charge me when I returned a product. But I am Israeli and was able to shmooze a bit with the person I was talking to.

I didn't pay anything extra for returning my DOA camera.[img src=http://trend-fusion.com/pics/smiley8.gif][/img]
    Last edited by maali; 01-31-2010 at 01:33 PM.

My friend returned a Lens that I helped him buy, and absolutely no problems at all. But yet you will have to keep it in pretty good shape! he returned everything he recieved with the package!

Quote Originally Posted by acmbun View Post
    Seems like it's up to their discretion whether they charge the restocking fee or not.
    It is up to our discretion. Generally, if the item gets back to us in the same condition it was in when shipped to you with all the accessories, inserts, packaging and blank warranty card we do not apply a restock fee. Generally, a restock fee is applied if we have to make the item an "open box" special which means a lower selling price.

While I cannot quote specific figures, I can say the restock fee is applied infrequently. Hope this helps
    Henry Posner
    B&H Photo-Video

Wow someone from B&H presumably gets paid to check the forums

Having just returned a used $1,500 lens that I felt wasn't accurately described, I must say B&H were great. Apart from the pain of returning an international shipment (which is to do with freight and customs, nothing to do with B&H), the bit of the process within B&H's control was handled in an exemplary way. They didn't second guess my dispute, instead just a quite refund, helpful service and freighting out the replacement part.
    D800, D300, D90, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200VR f2.8, 300 F4, 105 micro, 16-85VR, 50mm 1.8, Tammy 90 macro, 70-300VR, SB900, 2xSB600, MB-D10, 055XPROB 322RC2. New computers to run photoshop faster. C&C always appreciated. PhotoGallery
    Pressing the shutter is the start of the process - Joe McNally ... Buying the body is the start of the process - Dread Pirate

Quote Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Roberts View Post
    Wow someone from B&H presumably gets paid to check the forums:cool:
    Indeed. They have to pay me for something, don't they? :-)
    Seriously I've been doing this for B&H (among other things) for a decade or so. I'm "henryp" in a hundred or more forums. Some get daily visits, some weekly and some when a google alert prompts me. I am always available to help and with 20+ years experience as a professional photographer I try to bring more to the table than just customer service hand-holding.

Having just returned a used $1,500 lens that I felt wasn't accurately described, I must say B&H were great. Apart from the pain of returning an international shipment (which is to do with freight and customs, nothing to do with B&H), the bit of the process within B&H's control was handled in an exemplary way. They didn't second guess my dispute, instead just a quite refund, helpful service and freighting out the replacement part.
    Thank you. We're sorry the return was necessary and pleased to learn it was a painless experience.
    Henry Posner
    B&H Photo-Video

I liked my non-camera experience with them. I bought a Leupold Ultimate Slam scope and their price was competitive and shipping was fast! They even sent me a huge catalog.

I am looking for a good camera (see my first post) so I'll likely get it there but I look forward to the advice I get here before I wander into the store. Camera choices these days are enormous. I just need one good one that will last me 10+ years!

I had to go with Amazon on a recent purchase due to the 12 month no interest deal. Had B&H had the same deal, I would have preferred to get it from them. I like that store.
    Last edited by Flintlock1776; 03-14-2010 at 12:56 PM.