Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Red face AF Micro Adjust - continuing stories

Okay, so there I am ... pulling out my old Tokina AF 20-35mm f/3.5-4.5 lens ... looking for a reason to totally quit using it, as I discover it backfocusing pretty badly. I mean it is on the order of being almost two inches off @ 18-inches subject distance. That's significant. You can get away with a lot with a wide angle, but this is truly awful autofocusing.

Not having the luxury of "AF Micro Adjust" on my α700, there really was not much I could do, other than take the lens over to the service depot for a realignment and calibration. Well, that is an easy $80 ... and while it might be cool if I didn't already have the K-M AF 17-35mm f/2.8-4 "D" lens ... which works spit-spot on, I really cannot justify spending that just to have it sitting around. The 20-35mm only cost me a hundred, at the time. I guess I know why, now.

So, I popped it on the α850 ... and began running an "AF Micro Adjust" to see if it could compensate for this god-awful shift in focus. At -20 ... it came in. Now, +/-20 are the range limits of "AF Micro Adjust", so I am not quite sure I got it all, but I know I did get a major chunk of the misfocus/misalignment and could probably now use it, effectively.

I also checked to see ... and the lens actually registered, so I will not need to reset it every time I mount it on the α850. It does not do me much good on the α700, but it really is a full frame lens, so ... what the heck?

Am I sold on "AF Micro Adjust?" Heck no. All it does is make a poorly adjusted "workable" (within its adjustment limits, obviously). This lens STILL needs repair, but what I sure of is that once done, this is still a decent optic. All "AF Micro Adjust" did was forestall the necessary repair. It did not fix it. It feels more like one of those temporary spare tires they throw in the new cars. It's not the real thing, plus I also do not know if I got it all ... because, I am at the limit.

EDIT: I ran my Minolta AF 35-70mm f/4 MACRO through the cycle and found that it is a -5 stepper. This is why it has not been all I expected it to be. The true beauty of that little zoom is that it is so small and compact. It really is not much bigger than the 50mm f/1.7 PRIME and also uses 49 filters. It also is in need of fine tuning, but nowhere near as much as the Tokina. Problem is, the tune-up costs the same!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 12-02-2009 at 10:49 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

translation:
    i was dead wrong about micro adjust and objected to it only, yes ONLY, cos sony didnt offer it. as soon as sony put it in their body all of a sudden it works.
    but i'm too stubborn to admit it. lol
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

The a850 with the Minolta 35-70 sounds like an awesome combo. I loved that lens, I knew there must be something wrong with yours. Lightweight combo with f/4 in the primary range, IS, and great image quality and color. That plus the 50 prime would be a great way to travel light.

I think micro adjust is nice for the case you mention above with the Tokina, but it really shines when you pick up that Sigma 50/1.4 that is off just a little. Tap in a couple of ticks of micro-adjust and forget about the wait to send your new toy back. At least long enough to get to the point that missing it for a few weeks won't suck so bad.

Seems like it would also be nice for a serious photog that is out in the middle of nowhere and suddenly a lens they need takes a drop and gets a little off. Yeah the lens needs to be fixed properly, but when you are doing a shoot on location you can't wait.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

Attached Images Attached Images  

Exclamation Now, hear this ...

Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    translation:
    i was dead wrong about micro adjust and objected to it only, yes ONLY, cos sony didnt offer it. as soon as sony put it in their body all of a sudden it works.
    but i'm too stubborn to admit it. lol
    Well. as terrific an idea as our mate, 'Rooz', seems to think it is ... I would much rather my glass be ... now, get this:

"INTERCHANGEABLE!!!"

Don's Definition: Being able to be "successfully" used between at least two similar cameras. Isn't that the reason we have multiple DSLRs?

(Shhh, not really. It is because we are too darn mad about what we paid for the first DSLR and will not suffer the resultant "financial loss" by selling it off. )

Well, unless I get these two lenses repaired, that ain't happening. Only the α850 will be able to use either of these lenses and produce a somewhat usable result.

Bottom line: Use aligned glass ... that way, when you share the lens, your friend won't beat you with it after he/she gets back from their trip ... abroad!

Quote Originally Posted by SONYNUT View Post

And YOU, you sittin' on the sidelines, waiting for the bell to ring, popcorn chewer, you! ... Name:  popcorn eating.gif
Views: 216
Size:  2.9 KB ... What do you think this is ... entertainment?
    Last edited by DonSchap; 12-03-2009 at 09:30 AM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    "INTERCHANGEABLE!!!"[/CENTER]

Don's Definition: Being able to be "successfully" used between at least two similar cameras. Isn't that the reason we have multiple DSLRs?
    That's a lovely definition you dreamed up there, Don.
    E-510
    E-1
    Zuiko 14-54 F2.8-3.5 MkI
    Zuiko 70-300 F4.0-5.6
    Konica Hexanon 52mm F1.8
    Cullmann 2503
    Benro KS-0

Well, at least you can now say I am truly definitive.

flickr & Sdi