Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Best Low Light Super Zoom

Hi All:

Amongst the Olympus SP-590U, Fuji s100fs or 200EXR, Canon SX10 IS or SX20IS, Panasonic DMC-FZ35, which camera has the best IQ and lowest noise at High ISO/Low Light?

Experienced owners please reply. Need a P&S to take to concerts. Venues prohibit DSLRs. thanks

Rob

Rob-

Different Forum, same answer: go with the Panasonic FZ-35.

Do I have experience? Yes, I own over 100 cameras including 7 different super zooms (including the FZ-35) and 5 DSLR outfits. I have been a digital camera instructor for the last 15 years for both our state university and our local Community College. I have a BS in Mechanical Engineering, a MA in Aeronautical Engineering, and oh yes I also have a Phd as well. Yes I think I am qualified to answer this question.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Sarah Joyce

I don't often find myself disagreeing with Sarah, but you might also want to consider the Fuji S200EXR. It has slightly less agressive noise reduction, which results in a bit more high ISO noise, but also gives a little more detail. Having used the earlier Fuji S9500 extensively, I feel that the control layout, particularly the manual zoom ring and control dial, is significantly more convenient than the menu based controls of the FZ-35.

If you can get to a shop where you can try both cameras in your hand, you might find that helpful in making a comparison.

Comparative test shots:
    FZ-35
    S200EXR

That is an excellent suggestion, Alex-

My understanding was the OP wanted more zoom than the Fuji F-200EXR provides which is 5X optical zoom, perhaps I am mistaken. An yes the F-200EXR would have less noise.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce

Alex suggested the S200, not the F200. The S200 has a 30-436mm lens so should meet the requirements of the OP.

Fuji's naming conventions are pretty bad, and lead to confusion like this.

Many thanks for the heads-up, David-

That one slipped by me. I am doubtful that the S-200 could get past Security scrutiny.

Sarah Joyce

Well, Rob did include the S200 in his shortlist, and I assume he knows more about the concert security than I do. It probably is the largest and most DSLR-like camera on his list though.

Then, Alex, its a good suggestion-

The kids were not able to get my Fuji S-100 through Security at the last concert they attended. I guess the demands of Security seems to vary somewhat.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce