Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DSLR or not?

DSLR or not?

Hey guys

Before I post all my requirements and answers to the questions, I had two quick concerns: Will buying a DSLR mean I will be able to take very good quality pictures? How long does it take to learn a DSLR if I have never used one before?

Budget: $300-$400

Size: Doesnt matter

Image quality is SUPER IMPORTANT (10)
    Ultrazoom would be nice (5x plus)

Camera general usage will be for my outdoor trips and family events
    No big prints

Like Sony, Cannon and Nikon
    Would prefer image stabilization.

Thanks,
    Jeff

A camera with a powerful zoom lens and fantastic image quality, not to mention image stabilisation, for that budget? A DSLR isn't really an option.
    Gear List:
    Canon 40D + Sigma 18-50mm + Canon 55-250mm

My Gallery

Sorry if I am asking for too much here...I'll remove the extra powerful lens preference...anything 5x or better should be okay...the emphasis is on image quality and preferably having image stabilisation...any suggestions? what is the cheapest dslr currently?

Sorry if i am asking for too much!

-Jeff

Try Amazon.com, they have the Nikon D3000 w/18-55mm vr lens for $469.00.

You're asking a lot for the price point unless you shop the used/refurb camera market. Don't dismiss Pentax and Olympus - there's often bargains there and image stabilization is built into the camera, not the lenses.

The price point is in the fixed lens superzoom range. Look that the Panasonic FZ35.

It isn't hard to learn to do the basics with any camera but getting into the science of photography takes a bit of study. It's not enough to know what all the buttons and dials do but when to use the features and the effects of the actions.

jeff-

We are here to help. Please ask any questions that you might desire.

It sound like in addition to good image quality, you are also seeking a lot of zoom. That is where the super zoom cameras triumph. Cameras like the Panasonic FZ-35/38 and the Canon SX-10/SX-20 offer 18X and 20X optical zoom and are excellent with their outdoor photos. Indoors a flash has to be added.

A comparable DSLR camera with that much zoom would be very expensive indeed, due to the need for a long zoom lens, roughly 3 to 4 times the cost of either the FZ-35/38 or the SX-10/SX-20 cameras.

Have a great day and a Happy Thanksgiving.

Sarah Joyce

Which camera would you guys recommend between the Sony Cybershot H20, the panny lumix fz-35, nikon coolpix p90 and the cannon sx-10?

More than anything, the emphasis is on image quality...which camera would help me take the best pictures?

We can ignore the zoom and image stabilization for now, let's first work on image quality...

Any other suggestions? Sorry for my high demands hahaha....

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving!!!!

-Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by iluvcameras View Post
    Hey guys

Before I post all my requirements and answers to the questions, I had two quick concerns: Will buying a DSLR mean I will be able to take very good quality pictures? How long does it take to learn a DSLR if I have never used one before?
    No. The quality of the pictures is still dependent on you, but a dSLR has a greater capability to take good pictures than a point and shoot camera.

Not long. People are worried about the complexity of dSLRs, but most if not all entry-level dSLRs have reasonable automatic modes, and you can start to learn the parts as you go.
    E-510
    E-1
    Zuiko 14-54 F2.8-3.5 MkI
    Zuiko 70-300 F4.0-5.6
    Konica Hexanon 52mm F1.8
    Cullmann 2503
    Benro KS-0

jeff-

You can get into the best choice of the super zooms, the Panasonic FZ-35, for around $(US)325.00.

The best buy among the entry level DSLR cameras is the Sony A-230 or A-330 in a two lens kit for $(US) 599 from Amazon. Go with the A-330 if you want Live View which allows you to frame your photos using the rear LCD screen.

Sarah Joyce

Thanks for the info but since the entry level dslr's are out of my budget, which camera would you guys recommend out of the following:

Sony Cybershot H20

Panasonic FZ35

Cannon Powershot SX10

Nikon Coolpix P90

Anyone have any first-hand experience using any of the above?

Thanks for the info!!

-Jeff