Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Need Viewfinder in compact

My wife wants a compact digital with a viewfinder too. She really likes the very small ones, but most only have the lcd screen. Any suggestions?
    Thanks

David is right. Last year Sony had a W300 ultracompact with viewfinder. If you like to hunt around, there may be a leftover for that one somewhere. Otherwise the viewfinder cameras today are SLR-like ultrazooms. Which are not super small, and their viewfinders are electronic, not optical.

Kelly Cook
    Canon EOS 50D, Fujifilm F45fd, various film dinosaurs

yes,Daivd is right.
    i recommended Canon PowerShot SX200 12.1 MP Digital Camera
    Last edited by gotocin; 02-20-2010 at 09:17 PM.

The SX200 doesn't have an optical view finder. It has an electronic view finder, a small LCD in an eye piece. It's similar in function to an optical view finder but there are noticeable differences, including lagging behind the image. It's also not very small.

Huh? The SX200 doesn't have any viewfinder. Just LCD.
    Sony NEX 3 with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 lens. Canon 300HS, Fuji F70, Panasonic ZS19.

Quote Originally Posted by bascom View Post
    Huh? The SX200 doesn't have any viewfinder. Just LCD.
    Oops, you're right. I was thinking that he'd recommended the SX20, which does have an electronic view finder. That makes even less sense for the OP.

The Canon G-11 still has an optical viewfinder.

Sarah Joyce

Thanks for the info. I purchased the Canon SD780 from B&H. Their price was the same as the local stores ($199). Man this thing is tiny. I bought their package that included a spare battery, two 4 gig cards, a small case, and a two year replacement coverage. That was an additional $100 and seemed like a fair price. The batteries are charged, a card is in the camera, and the wife can start shooting when she unwraps it on Christmas. Thanks again for the help since I hate to shop.

Quote Originally Posted by GCP View Post
    Thanks for the info. I purchased the Canon SD780 from B&H. Their price was the same as the local stores ($199). Man this thing is tiny. I bought their package that included a spare battery, two 4 gig cards, a small case, and a two year replacement coverage. That was an additional $100 and seemed like a fair price. The batteries are charged, a card is in the camera, and the wife can start shooting when she unwraps it on Christmas. Thanks again for the help since I hate to shop.
    I was going to suggest the SD780. If you want the video to look decent and not choppy you'll need to get a very fast card for it. IIRC it records @ 24mbps. I'll also warn you that it sucks in low light. Since the sensor is so small and it's that high of a resolution noise is an issue. It does pretty well with a decent amount of light though.

The best thing about it.....the size!