Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Elisha82 View Post
    Maybe I need a better lens on the 7D to fully capitalize on it's AF speed.
    What glass do you have for the Canon, btw? I hadn't heard much about that. I know Ryan is "getting by" with the 24-105.

I feel like shooting Canon without USM is pretty bad. That is one thing that felt a lot better with Sony. I could throw an old Minolta lens from the 80s and outside of the fact Minolta put junky MF rings on because they thought no one would use it, they were great lenses with IS and very good AF. I loved the build quality and the color rendition of the Minolta glass.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

Quote Originally Posted by jr_rodriguez View Post
    Thanks, Jason, for taking the time to write your response. I really appreciate it.
    Not a problem. I wish I could tell you if you should switch or not, but I think in the end there is a lot less difference in systems than it appears. The only reason people are in one camp or another is because it is so, so expensive to invest in more than one system. I think most of the arguments we have about Sony vs. Canon/Nikon is high ISO vs. in-body IS. That is going to depend on what you shoot. The further I go the less I find myself depending on either one. I shot a lot in low light at first, and now that I have a better idea of how shots are going to come out I skip a lot of pictures I used to fight for.

You also have to keep in mind that many of the greatest photographs of all time were shot on cameras with a single focal length manual focus lens, ISO 100, no IS, no live view, and FPS depended on how fast you moved your thumb. So much of what we take for granted today didn't exist, and any SLR you pick up today with 8MP+ is going to be able to do almost anything that could be done on the most professional cameras of even 20 years ago.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

Quote Originally Posted by laydros View Post
    What glass do you have for the Canon, btw? I hadn't heard much about that. I know Ryan is "getting by" with the 24-105.

I feel like shooting Canon without USM is pretty bad. That is one thing that felt a lot better with Sony. I could throw an old Minolta lens from the 80s and outside of the fact Minolta put junky MF rings on because they thought no one would use it, they were great lenses with IS and very good AF. I loved the build quality and the color rendition of the Minolta glass.
    Possibly the lack of USM is what it is.
    Still only have the 18-55mm IS and also have a 28-80mm a buddy gave me from his old film body. Haven't used it at all though.
    I did use a 17-40mm L f/4 shooting some of the abandoned mill on Sunday but stopped after I realized the shots were not sharp as my kit-lens.
    My buddy had a filter on it and it was not a known name brand one and it probably needed Micro Adjustment as well.

I was gonna get Don's 35mm f/2 but now I can't decide which other one to get. I tried my cousins 50mm f/1.8 and it front focused like crazy and AF was garbage. I bought a new one and AF was still garbage on it but it was much sharper.
    I think I was spoiled with the awesome Minolta 50mm f/1.4

Might get the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 instead. However I had to pay 2 traffic tickets amounting to about $500 so that took away from gear purchase.

One ticket for running a red light when I was going to get the D90 and another ticket was running a red light when I was coming home from getting the 7D.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

I believe there is a "message" in there, Elisha ... somewhere
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Don't let the camera impair your driving?
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

That or get a picture of the cop! LOL
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    That or get a picture of the cop! LOL
    Wasn't the cops. It was the traffic cameras.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

When cameras prevent photography the terrorists win.
    Nikon D90, D40 Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 | Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 35mm f/1.8
    Vertical Grip, SB-600, SB-24, Sunpak 433D, Metz 40AF-4N, Alienbees CyberSync Triggers

R3G Media | Flickr

"You're pulling some awesome action shots with a cam and lens that are supposed to be rubbish ! " - Rooz

Angry Picked off by a pic!

Next time, when you go camera shopping -> change that license plate! Name:  off topic.gif
Views: 30
Size:  1.6 KB
    Last edited by DonSchap; 11-24-2009 at 12:08 PM.

flickr & Sdi

I wasn't even gonna tell the wife cause I knew my gear budget would be affected. She ended up getting the mail hand delivered to her by the postman!
    He's on my hit list now....
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR