Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    I'll remember to tell the ship's captain to pull in a little closer to that ICEBERG, as I get a shot of the polar bear sipping on the real thing.
    So, a more severe crop on good glass versus a less severe crop using a teleconverter that's going to mush away all the fine details anyways.
    E-510
    E-1
    Zuiko 14-54 F2.8-3.5 MkI
    Zuiko 70-300 F4.0-5.6
    Konica Hexanon 52mm F1.8
    Cullmann 2503
    Benro KS-0

Question What is "hard?"

Jim, what's really painful is watching $5000 subtracted from your bank account and sent off to SIGMA Photo. Believe me, that's a hard one to pass.

The 3x T/C arguably, just gets you closer ... to get something for your trouble. If you are lazy and cannot be troubled to just walk up and blast away with your basic lens (whatever it is), that's a different matter entirely ... and YOU of all people should realize it. Why do you plague me with such errant observations?

Personally, I do not carry T/Cs in my sling bag. They are in the backpack and ready for use, if need be on a big trip or whatnot. With the glass I sport, it is rare to need better than 500mm, except when birding.

My sling caries the 17-35, 28-75 (mounted), 70-200 or alternately 80-400, and the awesome 200-500mm, on special occasions. I also have three flashes, the HVL-F56AM, HVL-F58AM and the HVL-F20AM Compact flash w/ extra recharged battery sets.

In the top flap and front pocket I have a couple of cables ... USB to camera-USB, Timer release, and camera-USB to Video. It seems like a lot, but when you stop to figure it out, it really covers a good piece of the action, day or night, and when you are ready to "pinch off" a shot to a PC or video display. It is a "grab&go" satchel, like they use in Iraq, only al Queda usually has other stuff in theirs.

The leaves the PRIMES in the backpack, along with the 1.4x, 2x, & 3x T/Cs and 0.45x T/C widener lens, MACRO ring flash and lamp, the remainder of cables and the tripod. I just need to remember the Sherpa when I head out with all of it.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 11-20-2009 at 07:20 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Jim, what's really painful is watching $5000 subtracted from your bank account and sent off to SIGMA Photo. Believe me, that's a hard one to pass.

The 3x T/C arguably, just gets you closer ... to get something for your trouble. If you are lazy and cannot be troubled to just walk up and blast away with your basic lens (whatever it is), that's a different matter entirely ... and YOU of all people should realize it. Why do you plague me with such errant observations?
    Why is it an errant observation?

Don, you spend the most money on a regular basis of anyone on these boards, yet you do not reap the benefits of your purchases because you continually do stuff like this.

Seriously, what's the point of spending money on photography gear if you:
    1. Don't know how to use it, and;
    2. Cripple it so severely?

You might as well top up your investments, or go on vacation, or pay down your tuition costs or something you'll actually get use out of.
    E-510
    E-1
    Zuiko 14-54 F2.8-3.5 MkI
    Zuiko 70-300 F4.0-5.6
    Konica Hexanon 52mm F1.8
    Cullmann 2503
    Benro KS-0

Okay ... let's say the "purists" win ... and we have to use REAL lenses ... and not some bastardized version of something we are toting around due to weight constraints and vacation locales ...
    You need a 900mm lens on vacation?
    Ouch.

CDI ... you bored or something?

I suppose you take a pocket P&S with you on yours, right?
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Experimenting anyone???

So why do so many people on this forum rag on those who experiment with their equipment? One of the true fun things about photography is experimenting. Look at something in a new way. Try something different to see how it works. So what if falls flat. Sometimes it takes multiple failures before you have success.

Okay, so yeah Don's shot of the basket ball court was very soft in detail. But hey, he tried it. We would never know how soft or sharp such a combo would be unless someone tried it. Who knows with a bit of tweaking and different combos, he might well be able to produce a comparatively good quality image, for oh say about 1/3 the price of a $5K+ piece of glass. And guess what, at the end of the day there's a much wider range of uses in that combo than the single $5K+ lens.

Or, think of it another way. Some of the pros say you're lucky if you get one great image out of every 10 taken. This was a 1 in 10 experiment. Don's still got 9 more tries.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???

Darin ... that was right out of the camera without any post-processing. It does sharpen up a bit ... but you are correct ... it was a demo shot. Even I had to know what I could EXPECT from the combo.

Thanks for the support, buddy. It can be a struggle to use ALL this glass, sometimes. The pile can be daunting .... LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    so show us a shot of the polar bear.
    "Just keep it coming, barkeep."

Last edited by DonSchap; 11-20-2009 at 11:50 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DWessel View Post
    So why do so many people on this forum rag on those who experiment with their equipment?
    what exactly do you think don intended to do with his OP dripping with sarcasm ? its provocative and was done to insight a reaction. and he got one.

"Just keep it coming, barkeep."
    so thats taken with a 3xTC and the 200-500mm ?
    Last edited by Rooz; 11-21-2009 at 02:59 AM.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

No, it's a image of a polar bear ... as requested.

It was taken with the TAMRON SP AF 180mm f/3.5 Di LD MACRO, hence the tight DOF.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 11-21-2009 at 05:40 AM.

flickr & Sdi

CDI ... you bored or something?
    No. Are you?
    I suppose you take a pocket P&S with you on yours, right?
    Usually. I only shoot polar bears if they come up to my beach chair though.
    Ouch.