Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Opinions please .........

Hi ,

I currently own the Digital Rebel Xt w/ the kit lens and also own a 50mm 1.4 lens. I would like to purchase another lens and after reading all the reviews I am really confused. Unfortunately I don't live anywhere close to a good camera store. What I am hoping to buy is a good walk around lens that will deliver sharp, clear pics. With my current lenses I am frequently disappointed not having a wide enough lens and also need a good lens to take indoor low light shots of people. I am not sure if I will be able to purchase one lens to meet my needs or will I eventually need to purchase two lenses? Maximum cost cannot exceed $800. I want to get good lenses that I will be able to keep for a long time. I was thinking about the Canon 17-40mm f/4 L. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
    Shelly

The 17-40mm L f/4 is not gonna be good enough on the XT for low light. You want something brighter like the 17-55 f/2.8 or the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

Thanks Elisha for your response.

Shelly

you never said what lens you got with your kit... the 18-55mm..??...the next logical choice would be a medium-long zoom...like the 70-200mm; but for available indoor lighting; the 28-135mm IS would probably be a better choice

there are 2 topics in this forum you need to look at... 1> the lens reviews...it just won't get any simpler than that 2> the Canon rebate thread... you can get 15-500 in rebates on certain canon lenses, if you act quickly

Smile not interested in zoom

The kit lens is the 28-105mm. I am not really interested in a zoom don't really find must use for a zoom. I just sold a 75-300mm IS lens on Ebay because I never used it. I purchased to use for my son's basketball games and he is now done with basketball so the lens was just collecting dust.
    I sold it for $350. and want to put that money towards a lens that I will use more frequently.

Shelly

35/2 or maybe save for another few months and up the budget by $200 for a 17-55/2.8 IS.
    Nikon D300 | MB-D10 | Nikkor 12-24/4 | Nikkor 50/1.8 | Nikkor 70-200/2.8 VRI | Sigma 18-50/2.8 | SB-800 | SB-80DX (x4) | Radiopopper JrX Studio |

If you don't want a zoom, why are you considering the 17-40mm?

Maybe you mean you don't want a telephoto lens...those are the ones that give you "reach".
    Ouch.

You are right ! I meant a telephoto lens.

Shelly

The lens linked below is sort of an update of Tamrons 17-50 f/2.8. They've added VC (Tamron speak for Vibration Compensation = IS (Image Stabilizer). This should make it a pretty good lens for handheld shots in lower light than normal and would make a good walk around lens. It's new to the market, so as B&H's site shows, it's not available as of yet. If you're not in too much of a hurry for a new lens this might be worth a look when it's available.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...0mm_f_2_8.html

This is the original non-VC version below. I do have this lens and it's been good. Only minor annoying thing is when it auto-focuses, there is a bit of buzz noise.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...2_8_XR_Di.html
    Last edited by Mark_48; 11-16-2009 at 06:11 PM.
    Mark........

Do you think the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 is as good as the Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS?

Shelly