Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lighting Help!

Lightbulb The SONY portable flash solution

I almost hate writing this one up , because you probably will not opt for it, although it may be the best overall SONY solution. People NEVER do what is right (shaking head) because it often costs more money. The reliability is a lot higher.

Parts:
    Qty . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Item
    1 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .HVL-F58AM - Controller

2 or 3 . . . . . . . . . . . .HVL-F42AM - Remote

Superior flash control, add these:

1 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . FA-TC1AM - a Triple Connector

1 (ea flash) . . . . . . . . FA-MC1AM Off-camera Cable for Flash (one for each flash) 5-feet long

1 or 2 (ea flash). . . . . .FA-EC1AM Off-camera extension for Flash (one or two for each flash) 5-feet long

Opt 1 . . . . . . . . . . . . FA-CC1AM a Off-camera Cable (one for off-camera flash with only one flash) 5-feet long

The SONY built-in Wireless Option is troubling because you absolutely have to have optical LOS (line-of-sight) for the flashes and the controller unit, connected to the hot shoe of the DSLR. It will offer ratio control of shadows and highlights, by adjusting the remote flashes from the controller unit. That's pretty powerful stuff.

Required: 1 HVL-F58AM & 2 or 3 HVL-F42AM on flash stands.

Wired option is the most reliable, but will require that you adjust the flash intensity manually on every flash unit, to adjust for shadows and highlights.

Required: 1 HVL-F58AM & 2 or 3 HVL-F42AM on flash stands and all connected via the cables and hot shoe triple connector

item . . . . . . . Price per unit . Qty . . . . . Total cost

HVL-F42AM . . . . . $299.99 . . . 3 . . . . . . $899.97
    HVL-F58AM . . . . . $499.99 . . . 1 . . . . . . $499.99
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Wireless total . . . . $1399.96

Adding reliable wiring ...

FA-TC1AM . . . . . . .$69.99 . . . 1 . . . . . . . $69.99
    FA-MC1AM . . . . . . .$59.99 . . .3 . . . . . . .$179.97
    FA-EC1AM . . . . . . . $59.99 . . .6 . . . . . . $359.94
    FA-CC1AM . . . . . . ..$59.99 . . .1 . . . . . . . $59.99

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Total -----------> $2,069.85

Don't forget to buy lots o' batteries!

Name:  flash setup.JPG
Views: 268
Size:  50.2 KB
    Last edited by DonSchap; 11-15-2009 at 04:37 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

radio triggers work with any dslr. its not expensive and is absolutely reliable. having all those wires is a colossal mistake.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    radio triggers work with any dslr. its not expensive and is absolutely reliable. having all those wires is a colossal mistake.

The wired option is viable and reliable ... but not the best where safety or a lot of people is/are concerned.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

i dont think its viable at a wedding or a concert. you're talking studio in which case, yes i agree its a suitable option.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Red face Artifical lighting ...

I have to say, of all aspects of photography, this is the absolute worst to deal with. It holds the most potential for disaster, to all your equipment and other people, no less.

Good luck with this ... I'm done. That is about as "flash kit" suggested as I am prepared to go.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 11-15-2009 at 04:39 PM.

flickr & Sdi

100w halogen shop lights..7.99 each..;-)

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    I have to say, of all aspects of photography, this is the absolute worst to deal with. It holds the most potential for disaster, to all your equipment and other people, no less.

Good luck with this ... I'm done. That is about as "flash kit" suggested as I am prepared to go.
    you mean flash photography is the worst to deal with ? i couldnt disagree more, i love using flash. you just need to learn how to use them properly. a little bit of effort and some practice is all it takes.

going the radio trigger option i'd do this:

cybersync transmitter: $60
    2xcybersync receivers: $180
    2xsb28's, (adorama have them all the time used in excellent condition) ~ $300
    couple of lightweight stands $50

thats around the $600 mark for a perfectly capable system. go nuts and get a couple of ebay foldable lastolite ripoff softboxes for around $50each and for $700ish you're golden. moveable, transportable, light and effective.

the penalty of course is that you dont have TTL so its all manual flash...which again, is far less of an issue than most people think.
    Last edited by Rooz; 11-15-2009 at 07:04 PM.
    flickr

I agree... I've never used TTL with off camera flash and once. Dealing with a static setting is cake. Once you get the proper exposure your golden. Any minor compensation you might need to make due to different skin tones or something can be done with the aperture so its not like youll have to run around changing flash settings the whole time. Wireless is definitely the way to go.
    Nikon D90, D40 Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 | Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 35mm f/1.8
    Vertical Grip, SB-600, SB-24, Sunpak 433D, Metz 40AF-4N, Alienbees CyberSync Triggers

R3G Media | Flickr

"You're pulling some awesome action shots with a cam and lens that are supposed to be rubbish ! " - Rooz

+1 for wireless.

Just get a FS-1100 (I think that's the Minolta model number) adapter for your hotshoe and a handful of old manually controllable flashes. You can even get away with poverty wizard ebay triggers to start. (That's what I personally use when I don't get to use my friend's pocket wizards).
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

I still have my CTR-301P ( 1 transmitter and 3 receivers) for Sony Hotshoe and FS-1200 adapter if you are interested. You may have to change the batteries on the transmitter and receivers though.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR