Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool Some of the more misunderstood opinions and facts of DSLR photography.

For some reason, many new buyers of DSLR & SLR cameras are rather stunned and surprised that the "next" lens they might buy for their camera actually costs more than the camera body they will fit it to.

Well, you really need to get use to this fact, because we're not in Kansas anym ... sorry, stuck with a P&S camera, anymore. The manufacturing of excellent optics is a long and painstaking process. Once you begin to understand what is involved in the design, manufacturer and testing of a good lens … your fear of spending "too much" will be very different than it probably is, right now.

Got a few minutes? Watch this and learn (<-click on this). Then ...continue on with this and finish up with this.

Obviously, to save money, we can all do this at home, right?

As ignorance fades, wisdom sidles up and keeps you company. Love your glass.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 11-12-2009 at 11:21 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

No wonder the lens in the videos costs $6400.
    Last edited by fdexclpl; 11-12-2009 at 06:01 PM.
    -Paul-
    Canon 7D - Canon 17-55 IS USM - Canon 70-200mm f/4 IS - Canon 50mm f/1.8 - Sigma 30mm f/1.4 - Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 - Canon 430EX II Speedlite

I find it hard to believe that during the assembly of the 7 lenses not 1 spec of visible dust or anything gets inside the lens. Or are they assembled in vacuum sealed rooms? Doesn't seem like it. Watching this does make you appreciate good glass though.
    Nikon D90, D40 Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 | Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 35mm f/1.8
    Vertical Grip, SB-600, SB-24, Sunpak 433D, Metz 40AF-4N, Alienbees CyberSync Triggers

R3G Media | Flickr

"You're pulling some awesome action shots with a cam and lens that are supposed to be rubbish ! " - Rooz

Very interesting, Don. Thanks for the post!

I just hope the technicians assembling those lenses don't have to listen to the music played in the videos as they actually assemble the lenses. If that were the case, you'd never get a decent lens.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???

Very impressive. I think alot of us n00bs realise that the body is the cheapest part, I certainly was aware, but I think the shock comes when we're all told that 2 days in we're expected to scrap the kit lens and pay 2,000 on a replacement! I can't speak for all the n00bs out there, but I'm planning on working my way up :P

Biomech ... a serious replacement should not be anywhere near that.

Please take a quick look at the sticky in the forum, addressing what to do next, after getting your DSLR. 300 seems a little more fair.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Biomech, you don't have to spend large amounts of money (a relative expression, I admit) to get satisfactory results from your photography.
    We all spend what we can afford at the time, whether it's 100 or 1,000.
    The secret is to make informed choices and don't forget there are thousands of decent Minolta lenses out there at sensible (if not bargain) prices provided you buy from a reputable source. If you were to choose this route ...

Minolta - AF 50 F1.7
    Minolta - AF 35-70 F4
    Minolta - AF 35-105 F3.5-4.5
    Minolta - AF 28-135 F4-4.5
    Minolta - AF 70-210 F4 1985 version (beercan)
    Minolta - AF 75-300 F4.5-5.6 1986 version (Big Beercan)

This is not a comprehensive list, just a few recommendations. Perhaps Elisha will sell you his 28-135mm classic?

Peter ... you trying to sell your inventory of glass. LOL

This sounds a little too familiar a listing to this guy.

flickr & Sdi

Don, sorry to disappoint you if you were hoping for a bargain. The only ones on the list that I currently own are the ..
    Minolta - AF 50 F1.7
    Minolta - AF 28-135 F4-4.5
    Minolta - AF 70-210 F4 1985 version (beercan)
    and none of them are on sale at this point in time. That's why I proposed Elisha as a possible source for Biomech.