Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    How many teeth ya got?

(the "tooth faery" solution )
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

lol I kinda had my eye on that 15mm tube, ha!
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

It was a 12mm tube ... ha ha
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

yeah, 12mm rather. no lens to fit it to anyway. I was thinking it would be good for the 100mm macro and a 1.4x or 2x TC for beyond 1:1.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

I often found the focus always seemed to be too close to be truly practical. That's why I decided to skip that solution with the SONY/Minolta lenses and went straight to REAL MACRO solutions.

Anyway, too each their own.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Anyway, I am on my way over to rescue my SONY 50mm f/1.4 from the repair depot. They say it has come back from SONY, so we shall see. Timing is everything.
    Don,

Sad to see the 50mm 1.4 is still giving you problems. Knock on wood, mine's been functioning great and really comes in handy indoors.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???

I got the SONY 50mm f/1.4 back, last week, and it seems "okay", now. They finally took the problem serious, ripped it open and did the mechanical work.

From what I have been able to tell, it is working the way I expected it too and without delay ... in aperture response.

I guess you could say, "All bad things have come to an end." LOL

flickr & Sdi

Thumbs up In the history books ... I am published!

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Thanks, Frank ... that became the one I turned in for the story.

Talk about variety, my next shooting assignment is "fashion shots."

Wow, talk about the areas I have not gotten too deeply involved in. I was probably going to have to study this type of photography in the BAF program ... and, now, I am faced with it, head on, in a trial by shutter fire.
    The Community College newspaper was printed and my recent work dominated it with seven shots for the related stories. That redone basketball shot was one of them. Nice call, Frank. Thanks.

So, my days as a "non-professional" have come to an end. My first ordered assignment is paid for and this one is in the history books, as "published" work. Most cool.

I cannot say how long this is all going to last, as the Editor-in-Chief wants to use "full-time" students (registered for 3 or more classes) at the Community College for next Semester ... and I am long past that point, having graduated with my degree in Art and completed my Certificate work, too. I have moved on to the Art Institute for my bachelor's degree ... and that does not allow for that kind of local class participation, audited or otherwise.

One of the things that make for a compelling argument for my "photographer" position is that it is my experience that most photography students do NOT have a full bag of glass. Heck, they are lucky if they have two lenses and those lenses usually are pretty dark. I mean what student has enough to even consider such an expense? Especially with today's tax-happy Congressmen finding new and clever ways to rape the populous of their means? Popping for $500-$2000 glass from a community college student is just plain unreasonable, unless they have access to Dad/Mom's camera goodies. The photographer position just does not lend itself to going too cheap, because you sure will not get rich on the pay.

Sports photography is tough stuff, I have to admit, even with the f/2.8 and f/1.8 lenses. Doing it with an f/4 (or f/5.6) is just plain insanity. Achieving a focus is just about a magical act, otherwise EVERYONE would be able to get by with a 70-300 f/4-5.6 and a smile!

Anyway ... I guess we shall see what the next semester brings. One can never be sure. I am already two assignments into this next issue.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 11-24-2009 at 10:39 PM.

flickr & Sdi

That's great news Don. Good luck on all your future shoots.

Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro
    Slingshot 200 Bag

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/sparkie1263/

Red face Opportunity shots ...

Thanks, Frank. It is a "foot-in-the-door" ... and I am a big guy. This is going take real work, but it is out there and being viewed by hundreds of students, faculty, and parents.

Maybe I need to drop in on a magazine ... LOL Have camera, will travel ... as it were.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 11-25-2009 at 11:04 AM.

flickr & Sdi