Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

A720 IS - erratic flash behaviour, advice please !

Hi

This camera behaves very strangely, especially in low-lighting.

Often it just refuses to take a picture, or takes one when the "flash" symbol is light in the viewfinder, but doesn't flash.

This even happens if the flash is turned to "On" (not just "Auto").

Sometimes if you play about changing the shooting mode / type of autofocus it might work, bit often not.

Often when this happens, the orange focus assist light (on front of camera) stays permanently lit until you take finger off shutter button.

Also, it sometimes doesn't want to take a picture in daylight ! You either get the focus square (on LCD image)) staying orange or not appearing at all.

I bought this camera over 12 months ago and Canon haven't been very helpful e.g fault vs some setting that needs changing vs operator error etc. - all they have advised is send it for repair.

Can anyone shed further light on this problem ?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by swayzak View Post
    I bought this camera over 12 months ago and Canon haven't been very helpful e.g fault vs some setting that needs changing vs operator error etc. - all they have advised is send it for repair.
    There's very little that they or we can do with the information you've provided. Your best bet is to do a reset by removing the batteries for 24 hours. Beyond that you'll probably need to send it in for repairs and I'm not sure it's worth it on a camera like this unless you suspect a defect.

Thanks

Oh dear, I thought I'd described the problem in reasonable detail ...

Quote Originally Posted by swayzak View Post
    Oh dear, I thought I'd described the problem in reasonable detail ...
    You did, but it's not something that is affected by settings. It's most likely an electronics problem, not something that is really possible to fix by an owner. Unfortunately, that's the way it is with cameras, there's not much you can do aside from a complete reset and hope for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by David Metsky View Post
    You did, but it's not something that is affected by settings. It's most likely an electronics problem, not something that is really possible to fix by an owner. Unfortunately, that's the way it is with cameras, there's not much you can do aside from a complete reset and hope for the best.
    Thanks, will try it.

We also have some further consumer protection beyond manufacturers warranty period ....

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...html?t=2050639

I think there is a strong argument for this fault (if it is a fault) to be repaired under this act.
    Last edited by swayzak; 11-02-2009 at 11:57 PM.

Or you dropped the camera or got it wet, which invalidates any claim you might have. It's always best to ask, and ask nicely at first.

My honest feeling is that you are tilting at windmills if you expect Canon (or any manufacturer) to extend the warranty without showing a design or build defect. The fact that it doesn't work isn't proof of defect.

But good luck.

Someone advised to try the Reset All option - and seems to have fixed it (have only played around with it briefly however)

No idea what setting change would have made it behave like this though ..