Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

"Pocket" camera w/zoom during video and OVF

Hi Folks,

Canon personnel are not much help so maybe there's a forum member that can ride to my rescue.

I use a Canon A710 for field work right now with my bird dogs. It's fine except that I really like to zoom during video,....it makes it easier to show the range of my dogs etc. I had hoped to get something with HD video that zoomed and had an optical viewfinderor EVF. It seems that combination doesn't exist except in the S series. I'll settle for standard definition. Canon does a good job with it.

So, which of the Canon "pocket" cameras have a viewfinder and zoom during video? I think the E1 and the SD990 are the only ones. Any opinions appreciated. I'm not locked into Canon especially but I am locked in to zoom during video and viewfinders.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Out of the box, none.

With the CHDK firmware hack, pretty much all of them do.

You can get zoom on your A710 I believe. I've got it installed on my SD800 and it works fine.

I know it's not current (sorry), but the A650is could do optical zoom while recording video... fantastic camera that...

Quote Originally Posted by David Metsky View Post
    Out of the box, none.

With the CHDK firmware hack, pretty much all of them do.

You can get zoom on your A710 I believe. I've got it installed on my SD800 and it works fine.
    I use that as well on an SD880......only problem is the zoom motor is really prominent on the video. Otherwise it works well.
    Nikon D7000 | D80 w/Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8 | Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 | Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED | Nikkor 18-200mm VR | Nikkor AF D 50mm f/1.8D | SB-600 Speedlight | Manfrotto 055XB w/322RC2 Ballhead
    Flickr