Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I was just using the D300--which has taken a backseat role since I got the D700--along with the D700 for a Military Appreciation night at a football game.
    D300 w/80-200 and D700 w/24-70.

The D300 files at IS0 1600 are smooth looking--noise reduction set to low--and colors look muddy.
    I was so happy with the D300 until the D700 came around. ISO 6400 looks great in newspaper print and I look forward to the next iteration (D3s sensor)
    Perhaps the D400 will pick up the D700's excellent sensor.
    US Navy--Hooyah!

Nikon D700/D300|17-35 f/2.8, 24-70 f/2.8, Sigmalux, 80-200 f/2.8, 16 f/2.8 fisheye,

Lots of flashes and Honl gear.

Well tonight I finally got rid of my 30D, 17-55 & 10-22 and ended up with a backup D3 in the process. I don't plan to keep two D3s but at least I'm fully Nikon now- this feels good!
    Nikon D3, D300, F-100, 10.5 Fisheye, 35 f/1.4, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.4, Zeiss 100 f/2, 105 f/2.5, 200 f/4 Micro, 200 f/2 VR, 300 f/2.8 AF-S II, 24-70 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8, SU-800, SB-900, 4xSB-800, 1.4x and 1.7x TC
    (2) Profoto Acute 2400 packs w/4 heads, Chimera Boxes

Quote Originally Posted by RichNY View Post
    Well tonight I finally got rid of my 30D, 17-55 & 10-22 and ended up with a backup D3 in the process. I don't plan to keep two D3s but at least I'm fully Nikon now- this feels good!
    2xD3's ? hmmm...maybe we need to talk lol
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Bean Crock
    Nikon D90 | Sigma 10-20 HSM | DX 18-105 f3.5-5.6 VR | DX 55-200 VR | 35 f/2.0 D | 50 f/1.4 D | 85mm F/1.8 D | SB-800 x 3 | SU-800
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Flickr | Twitter

I think everyove has been set up. Notice only 1 post TOTAL and never returned to enter the discussion. Didn't even reply with reasoning why dropping full frame for crop. Also, as I re-read original post, some of those questions - like focus and refocus quick - at the end seemed very elementary for someone with years of experience that started with a Xti and progressed big time to a 5d.
    Digital: Nikon D40; Nikon D90; Nikon D7000 Nikkor 18-55; Nikkor 55-200VR; Sigma 10-20; Tamron 17-50; SB-600; SB-900; Pocket Wizards
    Film: Canon AE-1; T70; FD 28mm 2.8; FD 50mm 1.8; FD 135mm 3.5
    Wish List: Unlimited! Let's not go there.

Is the fake OP just someone doing it for fun, or something more malicious?

--------------------------------------------

Since it is a bum thread, I'll hijack.

I saw a D90 with 2 lenses (don't know what kind) show up on Craigslist today for $400. It is either a scam or a guy genuinely not knowing what he has. He said he bought it from a friend of a friend and just isn't getting into photography. The convincing thing is that he wants a phone call instead of an email, and it is a local phone number, so it doesn't appear to be someone that wants you to put money in an offshore account or something...

At any rate it kinda got me thinking about Nikon. The thing is that I have been shooting older manual focus film cameras lately and loving it. However it would be nice to share lenses between my everyday digital and my MF film camera. Right now only two brands allow that without significant loss in features, Nikon and Pentax. After having a fight with Sony's lack of marketshare (and therefore lack of accessories and used items) and poor high-ISO, I have kinda sworn off using anything but Nikon or Canon. When I switched off Sony I had a hard time choosing Canon or Nikon, at the time I choose Canon because of the stronger mid range (f/4 L glass, USM on non-pro stuff), and the fact that Nikon glass tends to be a little more expensive.

I tried to look around Ken Rockwell's site to figure out a bit about lens compatibility, and ended up pretty confused. I used to think that anything AI or later (around 1972 right?) would do everything except AF on any Nikon camera since then, with the exception of the "G" lenses not working on older cameras (1980s and earlier?). Dropping pre AI stuff, can anyone summarize this for me?

Any other feedback on this, such as experience manual focusing older lenses on a new digital? I'm familiar with the Katz eye and might get a screen. Which lenses will support AF confirmation? Are flare/CA etc a bigger issue with the older lenses? Am I totally wasting my time and should just forget about film?

The other option would be to get a Nikon to EOS converter and stick with my 40D, which I love. But I think that would require stop down metering, and have no chance of auto aperture. An FD to EOS converter isn't an option because of flange difference, so as long as I am shooting Canon manual focus I'm stuck with maintaining two sets of lenses.

It is also possible that a switch would have no cost benefit because older Nikon lenses are more useful since they are forward compatible.

Sorry for being long winded, thanks for any help.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

Quote Originally Posted by laydros View Post
    I saw a D90 with 2 lenses (don't know what kind) show up on Craigslist today for $400. It is either a scam or a guy genuinely not knowing what he has. He said he bought it from a friend of a friend and just isn't getting into photography. The convincing thing is that he wants a phone call instead of an email, and it is a local phone number, so it doesn't appear to be someone that wants you to put money in an offshore account or something...
    sounds like a scam to me. way too cheap.

I tried to look around Ken Rockwell's site to figure out a bit about lens compatibility, and ended up pretty confused. I used to think that anything AI or later (around 1972 right?) would do everything except AF on any Nikon camera since then, with the exception of the "G" lenses not working on older cameras (1980s and earlier?). Dropping pre AI stuff, can anyone summarize this for me?
    the dxxx or dx cameras can meter off all the older Ai/ Ais lens without a problem. for dxx cameras you will need to meter manually. this is by far the biggest difference so really buying a d90 is only a half solution. if you really wanted to make the most of it you;d need to buy a d300 cos at least then you get metering.

Any other feedback on this, such as experience manual focusing older lenses on a new digital? I'm familiar with the Katz eye and might get a screen. Which lenses will support AF confirmation? Are flare/CA etc a bigger issue with the older lenses? Am I totally wasting my time and should just forget about film?
    why should you forget about film when you love shooting it ? yes, there are some CA aswell as a number of other optical issues with older glass but its not half as bad as some would lead you to believe. besides, film is more forgiving cos we are less inclined to zoom to 200% to pick out flaws and pixel peep.

sharing lens ? hmm...i dunno if it really brings you that much of a benefit really does it ? a couple of older nikkors for a nikon film camera is all you really need isnt it ?

personally i dont think its worth switching just for that. id stick with what you have.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

You can pick up very good glass cheap for film, bodies are more affordable now than ever with the older ones (imagine paying 500 or less for a body that was top dog in it's hay day). I've been looking myself thinking.........
    Stephen: Another kiwi bumming around Aussie welding shit up missing home....

Bloggy thing

Yeah, I have a Canon A-1, which was the nicest below the pro-level F-1 at the time. Only paid $60 for it. The most I have paid for any of the other FD lenses in my sig is $30. The camera is also small enough I can throw it in my laptop bag so I have it with me all the time.

My thought is just that it would be nice if I could try out some of these lenses on my digital. I think it would be especially nice for portraits, where focus speed doesn't matter much.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

Quote Originally Posted by laydros View Post
    Is the fake OP just someone doing it for fun, or something more malicious?

--------------------------------------------

Either scam or fencing stolen property.

As you can see from my signature, I also use to have Canon with FD lens. Yes, I still have them, use them, and they have served me well.

My issue was with Canon not supporting their existing customers, requiring me to buy new glass when going digital. Not only did they lose a captive customer with a lens collection, it raised the issue - if I have to buy new glass how does Canon earn the business. The fact that most Nikon lenses still worked, within the limitations of the lens, demonstrated that Nikon was attempting to engineer support of it's customer base. That elevated Nikon to #1.

In your case, you have invested in glass for both systems, and yes, Canon does make good equipment. Suggestion, stay with what you have and use the equipment within it's limitations as originally developed. If money is burning a hole in your pocket, buy new glass to compliment what you have, or upgrade the 40d to a new body for additional features.
    Digital: Nikon D40; Nikon D90; Nikon D7000 Nikkor 18-55; Nikkor 55-200VR; Sigma 10-20; Tamron 17-50; SB-600; SB-900; Pocket Wizards
    Film: Canon AE-1; T70; FD 28mm 2.8; FD 50mm 1.8; FD 135mm 3.5
    Wish List: Unlimited! Let's not go there.