Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Exclamation A “HOLE” in the line-up?

Okay, someone at SONY is making an “early call.”

I mean, based on the resistance I got with the APS-C extinction issue … I am left wondering, with the disappearance of the “feature-rich” α700 from the APS-C line … leaving the less than ambitious α550/α500 in its place, what is going on here? The α5xx-series is not an alternative for the prosumer. It's more like a step-up for the INTRO-gang. The Advanced Potographers will HAVE TO GO TO Full Frame, in the meantime! Ah ha! Anyone listening?

I mean we now have the complete loss of the PC “remote control”, “wireless remote” control of shutter and playback options, and several other unnamed options from the α7xx-series, with no heir apparent!

Is it just me … or do we now have a monstrous “pothole” between the middle of the road SONY DSLR cameras and the high-end ones?

C’mon, two Full Frames, now, and NO announced α7xx?

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . APS-C . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . FULL FRAME
    Name:  no bridge DSLR.JPG
Views: 93
Size:  28.6 KB

If you are going to jump … jump hard. Unbelievably, this is almost as stupid as the year long wait for the α700, when it was first anticipated back in 2007. Isn’t there someone at SONY in the Marketing/Scheduling Department? Or are they all playing with their over budget Playstation 3s?

Wake up, dudes!

Claiming "Oh, we’re not ready" is NOT getting it done. I recommend you … GET READY! and announce some intent, if you are retiring the α700. This is utterly embarrassing.

Oops, what did I say?
    Last edited by DonSchap; 10-26-2009 at 09:17 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr® & Sdi

I'm sure there will be one and if they were smart enough, they will use the same body so they can use the VG for the a700. It was such a bad ass VG.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr®
    FLUIDR

C'mon Elisha ... I am trying to incite some excitement, here ... as of now ... there's just nothing.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr® & Sdi

Just waiting on a hd video dslr

Lightbulb A little more reference ...

You guys need to check out the SONY Backstage 101 forum, for a little background to this thread. There are some posts that SONY actually has blocked and are under review!

flickr® & Sdi

Shouldn't be too much of an issue for you Don since you don't need a better crop camera anyway!
    But it does suck if they don't replace the a700!
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr®
    FLUIDR

I have no doubt that a replacement is coming, but it wouldn't surprise me if they brought it a little more downmarket (think D90) or a little more upmarket to compete with the D300s and 7D.

Actually, given recent history with Sony (which I don't agree with) I'm expecting no less than 2 cameras. It seems they are trying to make the lineup as confusing as possible for the consumer. It would make much more sense to just have:

A330 - Entry Consumer, sell it for $550
    A500 - Mid-Level Consumer, sell it for $800
    A750 - Prosumer, $1300-$1500
    A850 - As is, this is a great camera/price point
    A900 - Include the battery grip with $2500 price

Kinda like Nikon does.... but even with the above listing the A900 isn't really "pro" enough.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr