Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 9 of 84 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DWessel View Post
    Don,

If the goal is to try and make it of that time period (more authentic), then the latest version is much better. Full red and black was the theme of the day in Germany at the time. And, I have to say, I appreciate the detail in the Cabaret lettering.

That said, with the full color background, now the hat appears slightly washed out and overexposed. I would recommend a slight darkening (about 1/3 stop) of the hat.
    I agree with all of the above. The poster is getting there, glad the purple is gone.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

I am afraid of losing detail to the shadow. I do have a darker DERBY ... I need to pull it up.

EDIT: Darin, I have updated the last image.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-23-2010 at 04:17 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Cool Nearing the final stage (no pun intended)

Well, the "Harlo" font I used on the earlier posters was a kind of 'close approximation' to the Cabaret-style I really wanted for it. I also tried "Black Forest" font, but it was a little too far out. After some research on MyFonts, I found the "Cabaret-Normal" font. You have to BUY these fonts, because they are commercial in nature. It is easy enough, but it kind of does what I wanted for the overall effect.

So ... here is the near-final project image:

Name:  Cabaret-RED---Cabaret-normal-font.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  491.3 KB

Maybe this time ...
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-26-2010 at 01:00 AM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Cool Project 2

"Project 2" has begun ... and this one is a collective effort among six members ... a "design team." Preliminary photographic duties are between myself and another photographer. Then there are two Graphic Artists for their elements, the Web Designer and a VMX element.

Final design will be viewed as all of the following
    CD cover/spine/back
    Poster for the new album
    Homepage with 2 working links
    15-30 second trailer advertising the new album

Emphasis will be placed on use of basic understanding and use of:
    • photography
    • use of texture
    • strong typography
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-31-2010 at 02:02 AM.

flickr & Sdi

Red face Another WIP

Okay ... the second project ... something along the strange.

A rough idea ...

Name:  Project-2-base-image.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  316.1 KB
    (original art concept photographed & laid out by Don Schap)

Wow! Were does this rate? Some bizarre art, to be sure.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-31-2010 at 02:04 AM.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Okay ... the second project ... something along the strange.

A rough idea ...

Name:  Project-2-base-image.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  316.1 KB
    (original art concept photographed & laid out by Don Schap)

Wow! Were does this rate? Some bizarre art, to be sure.
    Don,

Bizarre art, yes. Where does it rate? Not bad for initial concept, but the image needs work, IMO.

The jacket has good three-dimentional quality and lighting. The creature's face, however, needs work. The top of the head has a 3D quality similar to the jacket, but the face itself lacks depth and shadowing equivalent to the jacket and top of the head -- so, it ends up having a flat 2D quality that makes it look out of place. The same goes for what is supposed to be flowing out of the hands. And, for true nit picking, I noticed that while the right hand has a thumb, the left hand is missing one. The overall effect on the viewer ... lacking a realistic look.

I think that with some additional work, you could end up with a top notch image that makes me think I'm going to be transported into a different world.

Unless you can add CGI elements with a 3D quality into the image, I would suggest that once your team tweaks the elements of the initial concept image, the model actually model's the elements (mask, hands, etc.) to the extent possible. That way you would end up with fairly consistent lighting/ shadowing across the image. That should help reduce the amount of PP added elements that might be lacking in similar lighting quality.

But hey, it's easy for me to say ... I'm not the one doing the project!!!!
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???

I used softbox lighting on the jacket and the subject's right side ... but, I also use a snoot on the left upper part of the mask, to accent the "flames."

It has taken a while to get the lighting somewhat "working" for this image. I think a larger studio might allow for some better flexibility in that regard. I have to admit, it is rather tough in close quarters with something six feet tall.

Again, this was more of a working concept shot ... to see if the group wanted to travel down this road. I needed something tangible to show how it might effectively look.

Thanks for the feedback. You're right, that mask needs ... something. Perhaps some transparent flames through another layer. Hmmm ...

flickr & Sdi

Thumbs down Semi-participation from classmates

One of the main issues I have been struggling with is the disjointed aspect to the "group" concept. Unfortunately for me, I would be much more prepared for this kind of project after the next quarter's classes, which cover all the missing aspects I currently am enjoying (NOT!) of the assignment. For the moment, I have to rely on members whom I haven't even discussed this with (not for lack of trying), plus one group member has fallen gravely ill (that certainly is unforeseen).

I know that I would like to get a whole bunch more shots of my own image model ... problem is, no model! The first image (above) was done with a tripod holding up the mask, jacket and hands. (Kind of amazing what you can do with a coat hanger and a few pillows, ain't it?)

Happily, it looks like they have adopted my subject choice as the image theme and that will make make the overall solutions easier to do. Now, it becomes a matter of just getting some more shot selections going, e.g., varying poses, lighting variations and whatnot.

If all I had to do was worry about the photography for my grade ... this would be a snap. (pardon the pun)

Quote Originally Posted by DWessel View Post
    And, for true nit picking, I noticed that while the right hand has a thumb, the left hand is missing one.
    @ Darin: you need to "nit pick" a little closer, because both hands have ALL of their fingers and thumbs. As far as the lava flowing over them, I am having another student try and add some detail to the shot, to make it look more real. Try and take in account, that the above image was simply a "base line" or working shot, for discussion and effect suggestion, not the final image, by any means. In a way, I wanted to just show you how it is starting out. Truth be told, I probably should not have published it, yet, but this is an interesting turn in what I have been up to ... and I felt some of you might enjoy the insight for these advanced classes and working with Photoshop CS4 "masking" techniques.

I tell ya, the α850 might be making the images too large for multiple edits, like this. I may have to kick back to the α700 and its 12.2 MP images. I am finding the RAM really stressed with masks and multiple edits. You get some strange responses from the cursor, as edits are made in areas you are not correcting, but the program has gotten lost, apparently, in the RAM. I have to back out and close the document. Even then, the image becomes ... touchy.

I suppose I could simply use the MENU on the α850 and select the APS-C Capture mode (11 MP) ... or reduce the resolution a bit, by going to 'M" (13 MP) instead of the "L" (24 MP). Most students do not have Full Frame imaging available to them, so I am going to assume they would not have this file size issue to worry about.

Where my desktop only has 2GB of RAM to manipulate an image in, the new MSI laptop has a full 4GB to mess with ... and a CORE 2 Duo processor to jockey it around. The ATI Radeon video card is also pretty neat, but that darn LCD screen is unreliable as a measured video evaluation/color management resource. It you tilt the screen just a bit, you get an entirely different looking shade due to polarization. That can be really hard to make image adjustments/judgments from.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-01-2010 at 10:20 PM.

flickr & Sdi

by the looks of how much photography there is involved so far, you may as well just use a compact.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    by the looks of how much photography there is involved so far, you may as well just use a compact.
    Silly Rooz

By using his dSLR Don can write off a portion of the purchase price against his taxable income.
    E-510
    E-1
    Zuiko 14-54 F2.8-3.5 MkI
    Zuiko 70-300 F4.0-5.6
    Konica Hexanon 52mm F1.8
    Cullmann 2503
    Benro KS-0