Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 56 of 84 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade906 View Post
    Is there something special about the mug? I don't see it's importance.

But the photo looks good though.
    The logo on the mug is ... uh, mine.

Anyway, here's another couple shots from the same shoot.

Name:  _DSC7533-small.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  384.1 KB

Name:  _DSC7653-smalll colors.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  772.1 KB

Name:  _DSC7578-small.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  387.9 KB

These were all taken "on location", so they have some issues with height factors, tight spacing and whatnot that need post processing attention, but I think you get the direction of the photography. These shoots are finished for the time being and I am now creating the catalog in which they will reside. Unlike many others, I am taking the time to do some reasonable photography work for the publication. I figure no matter what, it is good practice ... and the price is right.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 05-05-2011 at 07:39 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Oh, well in that case the mug as AWESOME! lol

Red face Reorganized the lens tote

I took a look at how I pack my current Tamrac 5770 Slingbag ... and along with the 12-24, 24-70 & the 70-400, Metz 76 MZ5 flash, I have added the 60mm f/2 MACRO in a lens case, piggy-backing on the side, opposite the Slik Mini-tripod. This should offer a pretty good pack for getting dirty ... when it comes to grabbin' the bag and goin'.

I have to admit, it is a doozie in weight, with that big-boy telephoto (54 oz). It only exceeds the SIGMA 70-200mm f/2.8 (48 oz.) by six more ounces. Thank goodness the MACRO only weighs 14 oz.

Anyway, now I have the close work lens ready to rock, when you get right in there and have to count hairs on the model's navel.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Red face Into each life, a little rain must fall

Sadly, this quarter has been a complete annoyance in regards to my photography. Most of the work has been at mine design and not the schools. The courses are more focused in the practical aspects of the business of photography and graphic design. That is not my forte' and I believe the other photography students are struggling to figure it out, too.

Not to be dissuaded,though, I will press ahead and embark on a personal show of force, as I set up and shoot various ideas I have. Some days are harder than others, as the rainfall, this year especially, has been awesome.

flickr & Sdi

What do you have in mind to shoot?
    Sony A33 | Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 II EX DG APO Macro HSM | Sony 30mm f/2.8 DT AF Macro | Tamron SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD

Flickr

Well, I am going back to Brookfield Zoo, to supplement/replace a couple of pages in my 50-page spectacular. I need to make it more ... interesting, so if the animals are game ... and the creek don't rise ... unfortunately, this coming weekend is out, due to precipitation. Monday looks cool and sunny through Wednesday ... so, that's where I have my sights set.

Me and my buddy, the polar bear.

Name:  _DSC3266-adj.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  439.2 KB
    Last edited by DonSchap; 05-10-2011 at 08:32 PM.

flickr & Sdi

What's new at the store ...

Went to Chicago, today, to make a stop at the Calumet Photographic store. I had to pick up some 11"x17" "Luster" for putting together a new, more focused portfolio, based on the recent fashion shots I did with my model. The push is to have a very tightly constrained specialty for your photo work. The "generalist" photography gig does not sell all that well in a city. You will starve to death. You have to be "focused" on a specific genre and create a portfolio depicting your focused efforts in that regard.

So, that means no cute, cuddly kittens with your images of skyscrapers. No nature photographs with your fashion runway girls. No aviation shots with children's portraits. No fine food photographs with those images of astronomical events.

One theme ... and you better make it good.

The photographs of my fashion model are mostly within the past 5 weeks. Happily, I made these images for my still coalescing 24-page catalog and there are a few additional images from last November's restaurant shoot that I am also adding to the pile. All in all, roughly 20 images, all printed on 11" x17" "Luster" paper and in a, more or less, equally-sized portfolio presentation book. That should nail down the "A" for that part of the course.

I mentioned this to the Portfolio I instructor and his jaw just dropped. He wanted to know what we would do in the upcoming Portfolio class, now? Search me, I don't know.

Two other open projects remain for the Business of Photography course, also:
    1. The 3-piece promotional/marketing material ("leave-behind") items (<- it is a glorified business card for photographers) and
    2. the notorious "business plan" for going to the bank and getting that start-up loan. With the current gear I am sporting, my list of improvements is notably different from many of the others. The 8TB RAID array for image management really got their attention.

Their completion wraps up that course.

Now, the instructor was truly impressed with my 50-page book and said I could use it in my portfolio presentation, but it needed some changes to smooth it out. He wants it "marketable" to the zoo, itself, for their gift shop outside the exhibit. The problem is, it would take two weeks to round trip the thing and time is getting rather tight. I would hate to have to hang my final grade on such a precarious item. Of course, it all depends on what I can produce, tomorrow, and assemble for the weekend. If it looks solid, I will create Ed. II of "Touring the Great Bear Wilderness." It's another $100 ... but, has real potential of a profit.

For now, though, it has been a tremendous amount of work for absolutely no financial return. I, literally, am my hobby, at this point. Perhaps, that is why it is still a lot of fun and I do enjoy it.

Also at Calumet, I wanted to grab an additional piece of memory for α850. I originally asked for a 32GB CF card, but they told me it had gone UP in price, because they were, now, "ARMORED." Even with my student discount, it was unacceptably high, but then I asked for an "UN" armored 64GB and it was only $60 more, with my discount. Man oh man, that was a 'no-brainer.' Admittedly, the 32GB was a 625x speed card. The 64GB is a 420x. Still, at this point, I'll willing take the storage over the speed. I am not sure the α850 would even make use of something that feisty.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 05-11-2011 at 09:14 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Don, good luck with the Book.

Also I think you did good to tell Calumet where to stick that "Armored" card and you're also right that the A850 couldn't use the extra speed seeing as 36MB/sec is about the maximum write speed. A UDMA6 card reader would improve the transfer speed to your computer but that's about it and not worth the additional expense unless you are sports or news Photog.

I took a look at what Calumet say about the "Armored" card and AFAIK it's meaningless and doesn't justify the price hike.

ProSpec Armored memory cards are built tough for use in harsh environments and exceed normal memory card's performance. Each Armored Compact Flash card is subjected to rigorous testing, then put through a patented process that protects the card from extreme operating temperatures (-58F to 212F / -50 C to 100 C), underwater submersion, rain, humidity, impact, shock, dust and more. Although optimized for use with professional-quality DSLR cameras, it will also offer maximum performance when use with other digital devices.

This card features a lifetime warranty and a hassle-free exchange. Calumet is not responsible for loss of data.

*Card must be allowed to dry for at least 24 hours with the contacts completely dry before it can be used again.

....exceed normal memory card's performance ...... but what's normal?. They don't say but they claim 91MB/sec in the spec, big deal.
    ....Each Armored Compact Flash card is subjected to rigorous testing....... Yea, that's called binning and everyone does it.
    ....a patented process that protects the card from extreme operating temperatures (-58F to 212F / -50 C to 100 C)..... which is anyway way outside the spec of any camera. At -50C your LCD is frozen solid and the battery's not doing much.
    ....a patented process that protects the card from ---- underwater submersion, rain, humidity.... but they don't say seawater and they go on to say "Calumet is not responsible for loss of data" so not that much protection then.
    ....a patented process that protects the card from ---- impact, shock, dust and more..... What the hell does that mean. How much shock? how much dust? Thay don't specify and who has any problem with dust in any case.
    ....Although optimized for use with professional-quality DSLR cameras.... Optimised how? Does it work faster? I don't think so.

It's all just marketing speak designed to separate you from your money. Just buy what you need right now.

Sandisk say this about theirs....
    SanDisk Extreme cards guarantee operation at extended temperatures ranging from minus 13 F (minus 25 C) to 185 F (85 C). SanDisk Extreme Pro CompactFlash cards feature RTV Silicone coating for added protection against moisture and humidity. The cards can withstand accidental drops of up to nine feet, and carry a lifetime limited warranty.3

Hmm, Silicone coating. Do you reckon that's what ProSpec are doing?

Thumbs down Oh, the memories...

Well, I was surprised when they did try to spring the extra cost for the same functionality. It just seemed a silly waste of cash, to be honest. The 64GB is definitely the better value, to me. It allows me to not have to "wash" the card, every time I shoot. I like to keep the images handy, when I am out running around, too. If I had to erase them, constantly... well, you can imagine the rest. The a850 does make some whopper images and the card storage goes fast enough, with just routine shooting.

The 32GB in the a700 has stuff on it from last September. I mean, all the images have been downloaded, but it takes a lot longer to fill it when the files are a mere 12.2MP

I pulled my recent "THOR" images from the Pic of the Day, because I just don't feel it is the kind of thing that really is a "taken" image, per se. There is a lot of post processing and editing to smooth it... and by the time I am done, it is more of an illustration, than a photograph.

Anyway, I will leave the latest one, here... as it was to demonstrate some of the Photoshop skills I picked up, last quarter, with the green screen and layer stacking.

"You're definitely going be THOR after this, varlet!"

Name:  _DSC7996-small.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  362.2 KB

"If it isn't a SONY, I tell thee NAY!"

In regards to the book ... I was a little dissatisfied with the result, but I knew I had to wait until Spring to get back and fill in the parts I felt were... lacking. Unfortunately, until a few weeks ago, the weather really did not allow for much. I am certain the Eagles were still indoors, due to the temperatures and they were some of the exhibit I wanted to get more of. They retired the birds in November... which left my book kind of incomplete... but, the show must go on, right?.

Of course, everything is all green, again, so it will be a "mixed bag" in regards to the background vegetation. Ah, these trying times, eh?
    Last edited by DonSchap; 05-15-2011 at 11:08 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Thumbs up The book project continues ...

Okay ... Zoo time!

Name:  _DSC8014-entrance.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  575.0 KB

I walked up on the Grizzlies ... and both were sacked out. Nice digs, though. I'd be sacked out in the sunshine, too.

Name:  May2011Grizzly_HDR2.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  582.6 KB

Name:  Grizzly-twin-2-small.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  552.0 KB

I also went for a more enclosure based shot of the polar bear.

Name:  _DSC8185-adj-small.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  454.7 KB

Name:  _DSC8193-small.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  472.2 KB

Name:  _DSC8242-small.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  398.7 KB

The Eagles STILL are not in their habitat, so those shots are not going to be there. The Wolves and Bison also were pretty scarce, but the the wind was up ... and they are pretty exposed out there in their respective yards. Unfortunately, not a particularly good day, yet.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 05-16-2011 at 10:25 PM.

flickr & Sdi