Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 5 of 84 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Lightbulb Schedule for this quarter

Quote Originally Posted by laydros View Post
    What kind of classes are involved? At least what are you taking this semester?

Good luck, have fun, let us know how it goes. And what the heck they teach!
    Well, I have taken most of the basic photography stuff with my Photography Certificate courses, at the Junior College, over the past three years. Now, it involves a little more advanced things, such as:
    • Advanced Image Manipulation - This course is further enhances the skills acquired in previous image manipulation and technology-based classes. Emphasis is placed advanced applications and the appropriate selection of variables for the required task. Students study the possibilities and constraints of image transport and display over the Internet. Interface design is studied in an application-oriented approach.
    • Electronic Imaging - The traditional techniques of illustration are translated to the electronic media using vector-based software. Special considerations for computer-generated artwork are explored.
    • Typography - Beginning with the history of letterforms, students in this course explore the fundamentals of typography including terminology and professional standards.

This will go on until the 27th of March, as these are quarterly classes, not semester, like the junior college was. The work is assigned as weekly projects, until the culmination and final.

I am not sure exactly how much actual photography may be involved, as this is mostly post-processing. I will try to keep up as things change and what is involved.

The classwork, they say, is designed to be more like what would happen in the actual working environment and a level of excellence will be expected, in all aspects of the assignments.

One impressive analogy was that if you miss one minute of class time, due to absence or just being late, it is exactly like taking a twenty dollar bill and cutting it up into worthless pieces. Yeah, twenty bucks a minute, throughout the course. This was made more obvious by realizing the fact that I am PAYING THEM to go there. "Bang for the buck" ... or you're out of luck. Makes sense to me.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-10-2010 at 07:43 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Talking Following up with the rest of the "game plan"

Since you asked ... and remember I had a pretty good lead into this school, this is what I am looking forward, into the Spring 2010 curriculum, the classes are:
    • Fundamentals of Video ProductionStudents will study the technical terms of video production and learn to operate basic video production equipment, using typical industry techniques
    • Digital DarkroomThe course addresses issues related to color theory, resolution, contrast and density controls and the production of photo quality digital prints from scanned film and direct digital captures.
    • Database and Web PrepThis course will educate the student on photo database management, batch processing, and the transfer of work online. It will also include some exploration of AfterEffects, Dreamweaver, html, and Flash.
    • Digital Photographic ProductionIn this introduction to digital photo production, student become acquainted with the concepts, hardware, and software related to digital image acquisition, manipulation, and output, including scanning, masking, layering, retouching, and printing.

the Summer 2010 quarter
    • Digital Grid SystemsIn this course, students learn to effectively create and utilize grid systems for layouts in a digital environment. Students gain an understanding of page layout software and how it can be used to combine typography and imagery into successful single page and multi-page designs.
    • Advanced Camera and Lighting TechniquesIn this advanced camera and introductory lighting class, students are introduced to basic lighting concepts and terminology and how they specifically relate to media productions. Students also learn to identify and use various types of lighting instruments and applications.
    • Location PhotographyThis course explores the special needs of location photography, including both the technical and logistical aspects of location work. Students are challenged with a variety of assignments related to fashion, portraiture, product, stock, and architectural photography.
    • Print ProductionThis course introduces the production process for printed materials. All aspects of production, from file formatting to binding, are explored.

the Fall 2010 quarter
    • Professional DevelopmentThis course prepares students for their chosen field by examining career paths, assessing their experience, introducing them to methods to further develop their skills and marketability, and giving them practical experience in writing business correspondence and interviewing.
    • Editorial PhotographyIn this course students produce assignments related to photojournalism, location, and editorial photography. Emphasis Is placed on digital technologies and formal assignment presentation. The class is devoted to subject research and creative photography in both fine art and commercial applications.
    • Advanced LightingThis course expands on the Fundamentals of Lighting, with an emphasis on lighting for products and people in both the studio and on location. Students learn the necessary and correct utilization of electronic flash and lighting tools in the studio and on location. Emphasis is placed on the imaginative application of lighting technique and style.
    • The Business of PhotographyThis course review considerations faced by photographers when establishing and managing a studio operation. Topics include recruitment, appraisal, and delegation to a studio staff; negotiating with clients and talent; and management of large productions. Students use business management software to estimate costs for photographic work and manage a studio budget.

the next Winter 2011 quarter
    • Photographic StudioIn this course students develop the ability to solve problems of visual communication through assignments designed to challenge their skills in lighting, camera operation, and commercial interpretation. All aspects of studio photography are discussed from lenses to lighting and people to products.
    • Web Marketing and E-Commerce LawThis course addresses the fundamental concepts and principles of marketing and E-Commerce. The overview of marketing provided here helps students place their knowledge in a framework and understand how each component contributes to the strength and utility of a marketing plan. This course also focuses on an analysis of current laws affecting the interactive media field, including copyright law, trademark law, the law of libel and slander, right of publicity and the right of privacy, misappropriation, unfair competition, moral rights, and trade disparagement.
    • Photographic Essay and Visual NarrativesThis course addresses photography as a narrative or illustrative medium used in support of the text content of publications. Students are required to produce their own renditions of picture stories, illustrations, magazine covers, and page layouts for all types of print media.
    • Art Directionthis course examines the role of the art director through a team environment. Leadership, communication skills and negotiation are an intricate part of the team design projects. By coordinating creative efforts from concept to finished product, students develop professional quality portfolio examples.

then things go “Gen Ed”, for the next Spring 2011 quarter, as I finish the three Level C Gen Ed courses
    and I do an internship

Then, the next Summer 2011 with two final Level C Gen Eds and:
    • PortfolioThis course prepares students for job interviews by helping them compile a portfolio. Students demonstrate their conceptual design, craftsmanship, and other skills as they assemble and refine their portfolio pieces. Students select representative pieces, showcasing work that reflects a unique style. Particular emphasis is placed on identifying short and long term professional employment goals, as well as related strategies and resources.
    • SpecializationIn this course, students specialize in one or more of the major fields of photography, including photographic illustration, industrial, editorial, photojournalism, landscape/nature, commercial and portraiture. Advanced application, marketing and preparation of portfolio for employment are stressed. This is the most important section of the overall portfolio requirements.

And finally … the kicker , Summer 2011 and Graduation with a Bachelors in Digital Photography
    • Senior ProjectThis course focuses on the completion of the portfolio and enables students to begin their career search. Students come into this course with work for their portfolio and learn to determine the quality of the work so professional enhancements can be made. Students also complete a professional resume and begin the job search.

So, Jason ... you, like, got all that? It's a wall of work, no doubt and I kind of have my nights planned for a year or two. But to be honest, I have never felt more ready to tackle it.

Tomorrow, 1/11/2010 ... DAY ONE!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-10-2010 at 08:54 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Red face Ed-ja-mucation update

Well ... two days into classes and I have to say ... I forgot just how art oriented photography is. I rarely sketch out my shots.

I know, I know ... what am I thinking?

Well, what I am usually thinking is that I have, at best, 10 seconds, to get the damn shot ... or it becomes history. Camera up, meter check and BANG!

Yes, it is more like snap-shooting ... only a lot more controlled with settings and other issues I face just using the DSLR and whatever lighting.

Now ... I am being asked to generate thumbnails of my ideas. WHAT IDEAS? I am a reactionary, not a composer. Talk about a major shift in thinking. I find myself actually having to relax and absorb. At 50 ... yeah, sure. It could be compared to driving from the right side of the road and then having to switch to the LEFT. Someone is going to get hurt by doing this. Namely, my grades.

Oh well, perhaps it is "starting again" jitters, from my transferring to a senior college. Their methods are far more intense and no where near as liberal as the junior college was. They are concentrating on procedure (pre-=processing), here. Problem is ... I have none! I am a loose cannon with a camera. I sees it, it gets shot. Off to post-processing.

Just some notes ... I hope you can kind of understand.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-13-2010 at 12:00 PM.

flickr & Sdi

You're only 50?
    Jebus you look 70!
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

Thumbs down We're not farmers any more ...

Well, thanks for that ... Elisha

photography can be rough on a soul.

No, I am a retiree of the IT-stress Syndrome. In other words, IT will kill ya! The same can be said of customer service, field engineer positions or wedding photographers. The daily expectations are rather unreal and often more demanding than a human should have to endure. Plus, the pay sucks!

When I see "Joe Blow" executive out golfing the day away ... what's wrong with this picture?
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-13-2010 at 12:21 PM.

flickr & Sdi

I hear you. I'm an IT graduate myself and currently trying to get out of it.
    Pay is ok but I know I can do better.

Trying to find me a Sugar Mommy to finance my re-schooling.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

I have to agree that most "artists" need a benefactor to initially survive. It is has been a long-time-fact with a history of starving artists.

I built up a kind of cushion for doing this, with my previous career, but it is having a hard time dealing with the current economy. I am having to go much faster than originally planned.

Competition is also unpredictable. I mean, look at SONY. The customer base continually tells them what they would appreciate in their next generation of cameras, but it seems the masses are not being heard. You will get what we want to release ... and nothing more. Then the competition releases "not ready for prime time" stuff and everyone goes nutz.

Anyway ... good luck in your academic pursuits, my friend. Despite the intensity of the training, it is fun.

flickr & Sdi

Trying to get into this: http://www.sheridanc.on.ca/Programs%...otography.aspx

But it seems like it's full time only. May have to get my boss to lay me off come fall.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

There a quite a few two-year programs out there, Elisha. But, what I have found that is even if you have the Associate's in Photography ... they all want the Bachelor's, down here. for the big positions. Most of the school is based in a networking environment, because they have a set working ethic and standard which affiliated corporations can rely upon and do.

In effect, when you have an Ai degree, it is a measurable quantity of quality. It is really tough to graduate, if you do not do the work. The work is your portfolio ... and that is just as important or more so than any resume.

Best of luck!

flickr & Sdi

Nobody here wants to see the papers.
    Hell all 4 of the jobs I have had just took my word that I had a degree.
    Nobody I know have had to actually produce their degree to the employer.

But I suppose it would be nice to have if you have your own office and are trying to attract clients and they come in and see you have some official papers framed on the wall!

I found mine when I moved in May. It's all crumpled to shit!
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR