Views: 83
Size:  291.3 KB

"Guess we need to recycle these ..."

Name:  _DSC6383-adj-acc-edges-small.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  242.0 KB
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Smile Quarter coming to the end

Man, these latest grades are looking good. The only "iffy" one will be the Advanced Lighting, but judging from what else was turned in, it should be secure. I was none too happy with the subject matter, that's for sure. Just depends on how the instructor receives the submitted work. But, it looks solid.

My research paper on 3-D Photography got an "A" and the 76-page Web Marketing Plan was commented as just what the doctor ordered, with a good handful more. Got my fingers crossed ... for a trifecta.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-23-2011 at 04:22 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Don,

Good to hear. Your post just reminded me of just how fast school on the Quarter system flies by. It's the 50 yard dash of schooling versus the "run-walk" mile of the semester system.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???

Cool Quarter vs Semester

I was on the Semester system during my Associates pursuit. Those extra six weeks in the same subject ... OMG. No thanks.

The quarters are 12 weeks long and you have to move to get all the projects in on time. There are no "lates" as it were, unless you got hit by falling debris from some passing comet. Two absences ... and your grade begins a decent. Three ... kiss it goodbye. They just have no tolerance for any disruptions to the schedule ... and that might be a concern if you already have a busy life. I mean, the school wants to see the "bells and whistles" you can create, to really earn an "excellent" (aka "A"). Oh, nothing too over the top ... but, it does not hurt.

There are no "A+" grades in the system, so I am a little dubious of people graduating with 3.9-4.0 GPAs. Either they are blessed with unlimited resources (which some of these kids are) and talent or something else may be in play. It is an area that leaves me ... disinterested. There are some terrifically creative individuals that graduate from the system. Are they "all-around" heroes ... probably not. Life probably does most of that to you. Then again.

I cannot stress how nice it is to have a bag full of various glass selections for the various class projects I have had to do. Yeah, it is an investment in "tools" to get the job done. You would see the same kind of results using professional tools for any job, I suspect. They are just ... more "developed" for the end product and result. Many students still try to get by with a kit-level DSLR ... and while this may be fine, during the first part of the educational process, it becomes restrictive when you get to the more intensive efforts at the junior/senior level. Often, there are struggles to rent the high-end glass from the school's on-hand inventory. I mean, c'mon, 6 lenses (maybe less, depending) for over 100 students ... and you better be using a Nikon body. After week-3, and the projects are determined, you have to get up pretty early to snag one and also grab studio space if needed.

Anyway, the quarter does go by quickly. In fact, this particular quarter, it seemed like people were noticing it a lot more than any of last year. Same amount of time, just didn't feel that long. Now, it's over. The Spring Quarter begins April 4 and runs to the end of June. They pack a lot in it.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-24-2011 at 07:06 AM.

flickr & Sdi

Thumbs up So, three "A"s later

Yes, photography school can have its moments. Receiving straight "A"s this quarter really put a smile on my mug. For various reasons ...maybe it was just getting used to the grind, I was not able to pull that off, before now. Oh, I was close, last semester, then got into the "grudge match" with one of the instructors and all hell broke loose. It did not end pretty .. and the bruises will take a while.

Name:  beaten.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  70.2 KB

But, by doing this, I also impressed my college-attending son, who I love to inspire to greater heights. I figure you can never motivate the youth enough, these days.

I am trying to do my best with my work ... to give the other students a point of reference. It is a lot harder than I ever imagined, actually. I and my work are becoming a little too easily recognized. I need to change up my models and the focus on "dirtying up" my shots a bit more. They seem to be technically correct, yet tend to look a little too sterile and unnatural.

Hey, it's why I am going to school, right?
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-28-2011 at 09:28 AM.

flickr & Sdi

Smile Extra-curricular seminars

I joined the American Society of Media Photographers a couple months ago and they just happen to be conducting a series of business workshops, under the heading of "Strictly Business 3", this coming weekend, conveniently in downtown Chicago.

So, in an effort to precede my entry in "The Business of Photography" course, this coming quarter, starting next Monday, I figure why not knock heads with some real world heroes of the genre? I'll let ya know what I find out. It should be "edu-ma-cational."

Go SONY!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-28-2011 at 03:01 PM.

flickr & Sdi

are you saying that "free at last" got an A ?
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Cool Free ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    are you saying that "free at last" got an A ?
    Yes. Big time. Remember, as I have to ... deliver the art. It's in the eye ... of the beholder.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-29-2011 at 06:31 AM.

flickr & Sdi

if i were you i'd be questioning the authenticity of the grading system when that image is considered "as good as it gets". that's not a put down at all and i mean that. its a good image as a starting point but if it is being judged on the execution of photographic techniques i don't quite get the "A" grade. sorry but i want to be honest.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Question Not for sale

Look, the images are not being sold ... they were developed under no budget and to comply with a requested theme, which I personally, did not have much interest in. Based on the competition, though ... I have to figure it was a true and fair assessment, relatively speaking. There were presentation aspects that I could not include with the project that you cannot appreciate, either/also, and while they are "standard" in their nature, not many of the other students bothered to comply with these simple mounting procedures. That cost them, not me.

I cannot even use these images for any promotional work, because, frankly speaking, I do not promote captivity or oppression like this. I figure that if I cannot get support, I'll leave my detractors behind, not oppress them. Just get out of my way! The heart of America has been a kindred search for wealth and self, tempered with the freedom to enjoy it.

Again, I digress. Back to the grading system ... I have found that it often defies logic (as I found out, last quarter), so I mitigated my efforts, as someone suggested, earlier, in this thread, by simply complying with what the instructor "wanted" to see and not what I wanted to create. You know ... shaping it for the viewer. I know that sounds like "photographic whoring" out of my work ... and, to tell you the truth, it kind of feels like it, too. Oh, cripes, my ideals have been so compromised, 'Rooz.' I am going report myself.

Yeah ... it is more like, "welcome to the real world of work, mate!"

You should see what they are doing with a Giger Counter for $5000/day, in Japan. It'll kill ya. That warrants a great, big "F" in my book, for "lack of vision."
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-29-2011 at 06:44 AM.

flickr & Sdi