Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 47 of 84 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast

Lightbulb Two Despots

Well, funny you should mention that idea, Darin, because I did create the "Two Despot" image, on Saturday, but did not post it. Since you asked about something of this nature, though ...

Name:  _DSC6012-despot.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  290.7 KB
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-28-2011 at 09:29 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Don,

That's why I was thinking that you reduce the opacity - it makes up for the fact you have to use poor quality images of the dictators while giving a slightly more subtle message.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???

Okay ... it will have to wait until later, but I will make the correction. Good thinking and thanks.

EDIT: Went with a 65% opacity. Verdict?
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-28-2011 at 08:44 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Don,

I think the reduced opacity helps the image imho. They might need a boost in contrast though.

That said, the aspect I really like is how Ahmadinejad's pinched fingers are right at the tip of the knife. Nice touch ... ouch.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6

Film:
    What's next???

On my digital negative project, I hit my first problem straight out of the box this semester. For some reason, the printed Over Head Transparency (OHT) negatives had a mottled cloudy look, kind of like tiger stripes. It transmitted through to the contact print. I didn't have that problem last semester. While last semester's OHT negatives had a similar cloudiness, it was uniform across the negative.

But, I've narrowed the problem down to either a printer issue or bad batch of OHT and I'm leaning towards the printer as source of the problem. Here's why.

I'm using the same brand of OHT film as last semester - Arista's OHT. The only apparent difference in the OHT is the latest purchase has a corner notched to help orient printing on the correct side - the side that is designed to accept the printer ink. But I can't rule out a non-visible change in the manufacturing process, so I will be checking with FreeStyle Photo about that.

As far as the printer, I used the school's newer Epson 3800 printer rather than the one I used last semester. After my professor and I looked at and compared the negatives from last semester and the current batch, I decided to try printing a new negative using the older Epson 3800 that I used last semester. Also, I fortunately had a left over OHT from last semester. So, I printed the same negative on the older 3800 using the OHT from last semester and one from the current batch to compare. Both negatives printed out with a fairly uniform cloudiness and no apparent tiger stripes. I printed another OHT negative using the newer 3800 and found it had a bit more mottled look, but no where near as bad as the earlier batch. That's when the professor mentioned that he thought the school just had that printer serviced during the past week. While that sure tends to implicate that particular printer, I'm not out of the woods yet. There's another wrinkle.

The printing technique I used last semester (using Dan Burkholder's recommended print settings) takes advantage of the Espon 3800's matte black advanced B&W print settings with a warm tone (brownish orange) that acts much like a safelight to help provide density in terms of the amount of light reaching the photographic paper. Part of this semester's exploration is comparing the different available techniques of creating digital negatives using different media. One of the techniques is to apply a color fill layer that mimics a red/orage (0 71 71 0) in PS to your B&W digital negative. So, I did that and printed out some negatives on a different Epson 3800 printer that is designated by the school for glossy and luster printing. Same problem of mottling.

While it is frustrating, it is also a learning challenge. After all, as the saying goes, you learn more from your failures than you do your successes.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900

Film:
    What's next???

Unhappy Talent coordination

Perhaps the hardest and still most divisive issue I face in school is getting the "talent" to cooperate. For as many people that are out of work, these days, they sure seem pretty busy ... or ... not?

The old saying goes: "If you want something done, ask it of a busy man."

Those who languish, these days, would seem to support this sage approach and I find it rather disappointing that they would allow opportunity to go fleeting by. Yes, I know this is an open observation, but one I would hope you may take to heart and know ... yeah, Don is not a happy camper.

The working budget is less than zero. Heck, I would like it if someone paid my freight to create, but that is not happening in this go around. This is my hobby and welcome to it. I am punching out the degree with as much enthusiasm as I can muster ... and the weather is not being all that cooperative, either. I mean, who would have thought we would have such a cold and frosty winter? Well, yeah, I did. It did not disappoint and, unfortunately, limited my outdoor considerations. People in the southern states even got a wicked taste of what we go through on an annual basis.

I not saying I want to spread the misery. Hardly. A mild winter can be a nice change, to be sure.

Come on, subjects ... let's shoot something!

flickr & Sdi

with my bad eye now 3d has no use to me...

I am wondering what they are going to do when we all get a third eye? I can just see it, now ...

Steve, you just need to focus, man.

flickr & Sdi

Thumbs up A more professional acceptance

I had a promotional shoot, using the "Entourage" restaurant, again, as a backdrop, today. Problem is ... that location is going away, as the management people begin to find other opportunities, due to the closing back in August. None-the-less, hit it while it is still hot, right?

So, here is the "staircase",

Name:  _DSC6038-Entourage-staircase.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  351.8 KB

in use, again.

Name:  _DSC6103-adj-small.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  283.6 KB
    EXIF - A850 w/ SONY AF 85mm f/2.8
    @ f/11 - 1/250 sec - ISO-200 - M - WB=Flash +/-0 - Beauty Dish, snooted fill, studio kicker

Last edited by DonSchap; 03-15-2011 at 04:34 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Red face Bound to get that grade

Okay ... Subjugation. A subject that left me tied up for quite a while.

A couple shots ...

One studio strobe ...

Name:  _DSC6301-back-at-it.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  278.2 KB

and two studio strobes.

Name:  Bound-for-glory.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  318.3 KB

Man, this is a subject I am not really hep with. I hope it qualifies for the grade.

I also tossed in a couple of "Struggle" images ... but, there are intensity issues with these shots. The real fight was with the Sun, using a single fill flash to get a decent exposure.

Name:  _DSC3389-struggle-small.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  402.1 KB

Name:  _DSC3318-back-stabber-small.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  415.9 KB
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-23-2011 at 12:09 AM.

flickr & Sdi