Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 46 of 84 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast

Cool Alternative processes

The new semester starts next week. This time it is an Independent Study - creating digital netatives for silver gelatin and alternative photographic processes.

I will first continue on with last semester's final project of printing digital negatives to then use in the darkroom to print on photographic paper. This will be a bit of fine tuning and experimentation with making the adjusments in PS to the printed negative rather than traditional darkroom techniques.

Then it's on to Cyanotypes, VanDyke Brown prints, and Plantinum/Palladium prints. Again, these are contact prints using digital negatives printed on OHT (overhead transparency film). The teacher I'm working with also wants to try (teach me) Litho prints as well.

Should prove to be a time blending modern technology with old world techniques.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???

Unhappy Things being left behind ...

I must say, Darin, these alternative methods are not being offered here at the school. As far as an industry standard that is marketable, I sense they do not feel it is strong enough to support any instruction as to how to do it. It would more of a "Fine Art" approach to digital photography than the one adopted here.

Now, the weird part is that the local Community College does support this instruction and they do not even have an Associates of Photography program, just the Photography Certificate. I often feel there is more art support there than here, and I have made mention of this lack of true photographic interest.

"Color Management" is also formally missing in the Bachelor's curriculum and more than a few instructors have mentioned that they did move to have the curriculum encompass this important mainstay of press work, but to no avail. Obviously, no two prints look the same on different printers and hence, I print and edit ALL of my presentation work at home. I am so glad I bought that EPSON 3800 and the Xrite I1 spectrophotometer. It truly a leg-up on my competition, who remain pretty clueless about such exacting things in their prints.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-21-2011 at 07:14 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

The alternative processes these days are more "fine art." The problem for most schools is cost of materials given budget cuts. So, I'm paying for the supplies. In my book, it's a small price to pay for the knowledge.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6

Film:
    What's next???

Lightbulb In the bigger picture, something to consider ...

As we have experienced, advancements in TECHNOLOGY can be brutal, especially if you're in it and it catches you "flat-footed" for the investment. I have a sneaking suspicion that "the school", by virtue of NOT getting involved in deploying a 3D photography program in response to the increasing wave of new televisions and 3D-media devices, may be (I say this as an understatement) putting themselves behind the eight-ball with the program.

Sure, 3D may still seem new and have some very duplicitous standards at the moment, but the concept and idea has been around since 1838! Ignoring its presence, at this time, is going to be difficult to catch up on. The folks in Japan and other Far-East countries are going to have a tremendous advantage in editing, marketing and just about anything concerning this methodology and design, because no one else formally knows or is teaching the rules!

A couple of years ago, I proposed we begin gearing up for this change with various ideas that really needed some exploration and discussion. Sure, you may think this move is in its infancy, but when there are five or more foreign manufacturers (and the biggest ones. too) bringing the overall design to the market ... time is being wasted, the warehouses are currently filling with these TVs (whatever 3D-standard they have adopted) and you had best be ready for this major shift.

Again, demonstration has already taken place and it is simply a matter of accepting fate. I know it has that stigma of being a novelty about it, because we (as a society) have been tinkering with it as such. But not any more. It is one to thing plunk down $10 to watch a movie in a theater and quite another to cough up $2000-3000 for a brand new television (or series of replacement televisions) in your home and heave perfectly good and still relatively new HD televisions to the curb.

It used to be that when you bought an analog color TV ... that "one-eyed, all consuming monster" was with the family until it just ... died. I would surmise that it was not uncommon to have a particular television for over twenty-years, if it was taken care of. Now, not so much. The various "digital formats" are out-dating the presentation of the image in the flip of only a couple years. Most people simply cannot keep up with the changes and they are just running out of ca$h to do so. Times are tough.

So, back to 3D. In my opinion, under such circumstances, with the oppressive economy and the aggressive technology, making a change to this format is a commitment beyond most. It will need support and skill to deal with "dual editing" of the imagery. Most amateur and semi-pro 3D efforts are simply going to be ... "AS IS", right out of the camera, much like it is today ... but, is it really? With computer editing programs included in the Adobe Suite and elsewhere ... even a novice can throw together some very nifty edits. The point is, the person who can actually edit 3D, more than likely, stands to make a mint. Yes, its relatively new, but the school should want to produce such a trainee, with this new added value. It would suggest that 3D-acceptance is on the horizon and they will have the talent in main focus.

In other words:
    "3D ME for FREE!"

Name:  SONY nx810_hero_right_front_white_3d_logo_scrnfill DCRP colors.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  127.3 KB
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-22-2011 at 09:36 AM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Thumbs up 3D for me

Now, SONY could produce a 3D lens for its DSLRs if they wanted to. They are the "3D Master Race", right? Well, uh ... there isn't a lens.

Sooooo, I was bounding around the Internet, looking for something novel like that and ... WHAM! I found one. The lens is made by Loreo and is designed in an Alpha-mount. Loreo has a model for APS-C sensors (what they call "3/4-sensor") and another identical-looking model for the Full Frame. Make you sure you specify the correct one.

Anyway ... it kind of looks like this ...

(click on image for link)

and when I put it one my α850, it kind of looks like this ...

Weird how that works.

It shoots a twin image, the left one a little larger and a bit further to the left than the right one is. When you place this stereoscopic print in the viewer ... viola ... your seeing DOF in a whole new way. To boost the 3D-effect, they recommend you have a foreground and a background (dirty up the framing) to get that isolation to create and enhance the optical illusion.

How much? $125. 3D ... almost instantly. Pretty cool.

Anyway, I am wondering how this "beastie" would work with the α33, α55, α77 (when it arrives) & the α560 & α580 in "movie mode."

I understand that it was originally designed for print viewer, with the Loreo viewer lenses ...

Name:  deluxe_viewer_3_1_800.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  98.7 KB

not electronic presentation, but if you did size the video screen presentation WINDOW so the viewer could actually see it at the proper distance ...? 3D movies? BTW: The back of that plastic viewer flips flat ... so you gain two more inches between your mug and the screen.

How about it, Steve ... you ready to play stereo, pal? You have the camera ...
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-23-2011 at 05:03 PM.

flickr & Sdi

The next "complex" assignment

I often wonder how this happens, but the next assignment is based on "What's happening in politics"

No kidding. As much as the process of photography on this discussion board tries to shy away political rhetoric, this assignment has me right back in the middle of it. It deals with Subjugation, Struggle and Liberation. The main follies of the Middle-East. Truly inspirational and confusing, because as it now stands, no one is really clear on which side of the fence you are correct to stand on. One thing is for certain, there will be blood.

So ... here is one for my next submission of nine shoots in the series ...

Struggle - "Middle-East meets Midwest - Crossed Ideals in Steel"

Name:  crossed-ideals.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  115.2 KB
    α850 w/ SIGMA 24-70mm f/2.8 DG EX IF HSM
    @ 50mm - f/9 - 1/200 sec. - ISO-200 - Tripod - Studio Strobe (1x) - Light tent

Dealing with all three issues ... there are three advanced lighting set ups for each. In other math ... 3 x 3 = 9 shots. I definitely want to make use of my collection of sharp stuff and the next shot will probably be of the two-light source variety, as another "struggle image" making use of male models. Now ... who to get?
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-24-2011 at 09:51 PM.

flickr & Sdi

what does egypts struggle against a murderous corrupt dictator have to do with the midwest ?
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Red face Excuse me ...

Who mentioned Egypt? I clearly stated the Middle-East. You can pick the location, I suppose, but I like the nebulous aspect to all this ...the entire region is erupting with an excited populous, screaming for democracy ... and those who would oppose such a move, because of a loss of power, wealth and several other aspects of a privileged life will be struggling to hold the other side. There are, at this point, no clear winners on either side ... even the banks are getting the shaft. Call it the "fog of immorality" and when it lifts, the pitiless despair will still be there.

Consider the 30-40 years worth of fantastic "bribes" that were paid to certain individuals of power to keep the flow of oil going. Now, or in the very near-future, all of that ill-gotten scratch will sit trapped in various Swiss bank accounts, FROZEN! The peoples of the respective nations will want it back, as restitution ... and to alleviate the suffering ... and as oil goes up in cost ... watch what happens in the Midwest. We are already broke ... and broke countries get desperate. It is a vicious circle ... and I suspect that blades will be crossed, hence the artwork.

Photo opportunities will flourish by the second ... as this all gets resolved. What scope, huh? The entire northeastern corner of Africa, areas of the Ivory Coast, the Arabian Peninsula, and Persia. Basically everything OIL, mate.

When the states stopped the pumping of oil in the Gulf of Mexico & the Alaskan boondocks ... opportunity knocked. Heck, it flat kicked in the door! Guess who was standing there? Everybody with an axe to grind. Momentum shift ... and it's getting uglier by the hour.

The instructor of the Adv. Lighting class stood before the class, on Wednesday, and asked, "Okay, who's a photographer?"

Well, one or two of us raised our hands. He then asked why we thought as much and I wondered what his point was of asking this. He then revealed that he believed a photographer was a person dedicated to "getting the shot", despite the environmental restrictions (you know, like a battlefield or other dangerous/conflict filled scenarios). That a "real" photographer would do whatever it took, go to whatever location they need to ... to an interesting shot.

Well, I tend to disagree with that perception ... because getting yourself annihilated for the sake of a picture sounds a little too mercenary to be a practical and classifiable vocation, such as a simple "photographer." Sure, there are those dedicated to taking chances jumping into the fray to get the shot, but still ... hospitalization is not in my lens bag. Yeah, I agree that taking world event shots are important, but not every "photographer" does this, nor do they need to present such work in a portfolio for consideration for most practical jobs.

Prospective Employer: "Excuse me, this artwork is wonderful ... and very well shot, but do you have any images you've taken of an assassination attempt or a major riot in the streets of some foreign country?"

Photographer Interviewee: "Why, no ... I never ..."

Prospective Employer: "I'm sorry, I'm afraid we're done here. Please, feel free to come back when you do."

C'mon ... photographer [fəˈtɒgrəfə]
    n
    (Business / Professions) a person who takes photographs, either as a hobby or a profession

Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003

That's it to qualify. You don't have to be some kind of heroic, in your face, snapper. I understand the need to motivate, but this seems more like a false representation of what the job is all about. It may apply to a few, hardcore members ... but, not the entire genre. Photography is a BIG field of opportunity. Narrowing it down to some kind of sniper for social or political causes seems a little narrow-minded, if you ask me, and wisdom would suggest you carry one heck of a long lens with you.

On the subject of Egypt, actually, "spotters" in the crowd were scoping out high points on surrounding buildings for photographers ... who were then tracked down and, subsequently ... dealt with. Many permanently mounted camera systems in the area were also rendered INERT. Admittedly, these are rough situations ... and you really need to think long and hard before you do commit to "exposing" yourself to such ... ahem, scrutiny.

"Cease and desist your villainy ... I am a photographer." Yeah, like that's going to happen. It is more like: "Get 'eem!"

Even your WiFi-downloadable images won't save you. WHY? Because the all-controlling government shuts off the Internet, that's why! You cannot download anything, so when they eventually walk away with your camera ... it is all gone. And that begs the Catch-22 question: If you don't have access to a camera, are you still a "photographer?"
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-26-2011 at 10:50 AM.

flickr & Sdi

Cool Another "Struggle" shot

Still working on more ideas for the "struggle" assignment shots. The model support for Sunday fell through, so we do without. This is the two light shot.

Name:  Crossed-Swords.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  782.7 KB

EXIF: α850 w/ SIGMA 28-70mm f/2.8 DG EX HSM IF
    @ 35mm - f/22 - 1/200 sec - ISO-200 - Two Studio Strobe - light tent - HDR mix of +/- 0.3 EV images
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-27-2011 at 03:16 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Don,

On your assignment, the photography is good, but I think the concept could use some more inspiration and creativity. As a thought, how about adding in about a 10-20% layer of some of the despots that are falling like flies or an image of all of the protestors as a background. Just some thoughts.

Now on to the start of my independent study - first couple of weeks is going to be a bit tasky while I expolore creating digital negatives on different media and using different printing techniques. Here's one of the images I'm using for my comparisons -
    Name:  _DSC0692-EditCropped.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  287.4 KB
    a900 w/ Sony 50mm f1.4 prime at f8, 1/160th, ISO 100
    converted from color to B&W in PS

Some of the different ways of creating the digital negative:
    1) Overhead Transparency (OHT) - printed on Epson 3800 using matte black setting adjusted to an amber tone to create a "spectral density" negative.
    2) OHT - Epson 3800 straight matte black
    3) Paper print negative - printed on regular photographic paper; mineral oil, vegetable oil or wax is then applied to the back of the paper to make it transluscent
    4) OHT - using a color CYMK tone of 0 71 71 0.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900

Film:
    What's next???