Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 44 of 84 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast

Thumbs up Thanks for the instruction

Darin,

Thanks for the previous post of instruction on this green screen artifact removal. I am sure many will also find it quite helpful.

There are many challenges to photography and "getting it right." It would be way cool if the camera had a matching feature to reduce the fringe effect, green or otherwise, since it would easily be something the photographer could identify to the firmware and let the camera's JPG-processing clean it up.

Hmmm ... a "green screen" option in the menu. Awesome advanced protocol for the more aspects of image production. But, then again, optical purple fringing does not take any special capability, you only need a sharp transition between black & white (high contrast). Admittedly, it just sucks and can be pretty bad with various optics on the front of your camera.

-- I wish Canon would quit sending me promotional material. They had their shot at my continued business, back in 2006 ... and I was not fooling when I left them behind in 2007. No anti-shake in the camera ... no bake in my oven. I had way too many third party lenses (90%) in my lens bag that did not have IS built into them. Sure, there may be a few new ones, today, but looking back, had I stuck with Canon, I would have been "sentencing" myself to another 5-years of no Image Stabilization anywhere, other than my tripod (as SONYNUT likes to point out), and STILL would not have it on MACRO and many, many PRIME lenses.

Well, folks, with the SONY system, I received anti-shake with EVERY lens I mounted, no matter how old or fossilized ... or how new and sharp. I even have anti-shake on the telescope lens, when I handhold it! Yeah ... that's a great idea with a 2032mm, ten-pound lens <grunt> (You don't need anti-shake, you need anti-drop).

The point is ... anti-shake is in there! ANY A-mountable* LENS!

Using indoor, practical shutter speeds (1/15, 1/20, 1/30, 1/45, 1/60th), the images look very solid and it is a nice feeling knowing that when I sit down, in front of the PC, to make a closer inspection of my handheld shoot ... lines on non-moving subjects are sharp looking and not blurr-r-r-red. That saves time, re-shoots and makes ME smile, as the number of first-time "keepers" goes up. <insert "fist-pump" & "Boo-yah!">

* - "A-mountable" means if you can adapt it to fit on the SONY. The camera has to have an ignore "lens missing" function if there is no electrical contact between the lens and the camera body, such as when using a T-mount adapter collar or a manual lens (e.g,, Samyang 8mm f/3.5, 14mm f/2.8, 85mm f1.4, TAMRON Adaptall2 series, etc).
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-12-2011 at 08:13 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Forgive Me!

Forgive me Don (and Don's model) and SonyNut,

But to demonstrate my thought on adding some sort of alien headpiece to the model shot, SonyNut's fantastic macro yellow jacket photos got me to thinking ....

Name:  _DSC5578-worked-stars-w-logo-&-slogan-contrastmodified.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  531.1 KB

It's not always a matter of spending money for added props, but utilizing digital photographic editing techniques to add elements in.

On a related matter, Don, when I got your image into PS and could enlarge it, I noticed that in the lower right area, you do have some left over green screen creeping through your background.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    -- I wish Canon would quit sending me promotional material. They had their shot at my continued business, back in 2006 ... and I was not fooling when I left them behind in 2007. No anti-shake in the camera ... no bake in my oven. I had way too many third party lenses (90%) in my lens bag that did not have IS built into them. Sure, there may be a few new ones, today, but looking back, had I stuck with Canon, I would have been "sentencing" myself to another 5-years of no Image Stabilization anywhere, other than my tripod (as SONYNUT likes to point out), and STILL would not have it on MACRO and many, many PRIME lenses.
    Don,
    I don't get it. You keep referring to the in-body IS as being the greatest thing Sony has given you. But I think it's the ONLY thing you like from the system, since you keep bringing it up so it sounds like you are trying to reassure yourself you made a good decision.
    I mean, most of the things you mention you'd like Sony to do with their full frame bodies are things Canon (and Nikon) have had for years.
    I think the lack on in-body IS is a price worth paying if you get all the other benefits you seek (better high-ISO performance, higher FPS, etc.). Well, unless your hands are really shaky, in which case you should always carry a tripod or monopod...

Quote Originally Posted by jr_rodriguez View Post
    Don,
    I don't get it. You keep referring to the in-body IS as being the greatest thing Sony has given you. But I think it's the ONLY thing you like from the system, since you keep bringing it up so it sounds like you are trying to reassure yourself you made a good decision.
    I mean, most of the things you mention you'd like Sony to do with their full frame bodies are things Canon (and Nikon) have had for years.
    I think the lack on in-body IS is a price worth paying if you get all the other benefits you seek (better high-ISO performance, higher FPS, etc.). Well, unless your hands are really shaky, in which case you should always carry a tripod or monopod...
    Nah, SONY has had the IS-in-body for five years and it has served me well. I cannot complain, because the EOS 20D did not have it ... and then the 30D didn't ,,, and the 40D didn't, ... uh, 50D ... nope! and the 60D still doesn't ... hey, wait, how about the 7D? Uh, buzz ...

Sure, the sensor upgrades itself every time buy a new camera. You get the improvement, but there is still ONLY one α700. It is a survivor. So you give your money to Canon to upgrade to get the latest in sensor technology. That's an expensive row to hoe and couple that with IS-capable lenses. Cripes, forget that nonsense.

Let's add that up and we'll skip the 30D, because is is just a 20D with some tweaks.

20D = 1399
    40D = 1299
    50D = 1299
    60D = $999

About $5000.

Sorry ... the $1399 α700 still shoots ISO 6400. The upgrade (SLT-α77) is finally coming this year, promising an ISO of 25600. One upgrade. That's it. It still has Image Stability and now the SLT-Mirror technology, eliminating mirror knock.

SONY ... the only way.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-13-2011 at 09:58 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Don,
    You are assuming that people would buy every generation of, in this case, Canon's cameras. Most people skip a generation or two (or more). So your cost figures are a bit of an exaggeration.
    And, let's be realistic: the α700 cannot do ISO 6400. It may be able to, but it looks like garbage.
    Oh, and I thought you were all about full frame bodies now.
    I guess this is enough of going off-topic.

But then, at ISO6400, they all look like garbage.
    Some people probably do buy each new body but they also sell on the "old" one so Don's sums still don't add up.

Thumbs down No right answer

Look ...

there is no right answer with how people deal with the manufacturing nuances of our industry/hobby/toys. Everyone has their own story and mine is as varied as yours.

The reason I spotted the α700 as the focus of my discussion, is because all the cameras I sighted were APS-C "croppers" ... so it just made sense (I guess I was the only one that it made sense to, though). While the α500-series is relatively new, it really is a serious step below the 700-series and the costs of getting into it reflect that. While the SLT-α77 may be considered the uptick on the α700, it really isn't. In my opinion, it appears to be a higher level version of the SLT-α55, and not a refined version of the α700.

I suspect a lot of people are just throwing up their hands, in regards to SONY, and saying "what the heck, I guess we're done waiting for the α7xx." SONY certainly is not courting these people very well.

The ideal would be, as Rooz recently proposed, a "swappable sensor" and image processing board, that can be inserted as a replacement/upgrade into the camera body. While the new SLT designs would make this a terrific idea, since cumulative mirror actuations really don't matter anymore, the idea of keeping the same ergonomics is truly attractive and not wasting money on something you already have even more so.

The manufacturing time would also be shortened, lowering the overall costs of such a device. Soft menu screens make selections just a transparent as ever. Redefinable hard buttons would be the new item. SONY already employs these with the "C" customizable button.

Anyway ... the road to "upgrade heaven" is lined with pick-pockets. We must be cautious ...
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-14-2011 at 12:04 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Who's been a messin wit my monkey?

Red face Buzzin' off!

Quote Originally Posted by DWessel View Post
    Forgive me Don (and Don's model) and SonyNut,

But to demonstrate my thought on adding some sort of alien headpiece to the model shot, SonyNut's fantastic macro yellow jacket photos got me to thinking ...
    There is a degree of carving up the shot that I am limited to ... and I was going for more focus on the product and not the model, as it truly is a product shot. I just wanted to add an attractive element to it, without being ... too aggressive with it.

Thank you for the suggestion, though.

As for the image ... I reworked it with different background that I made this weekend, where I dusted up the green screen remnants.

Name:  _DSC5578-oily-final.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  716.4 KB

And after some discussion in class, they loved the new background creation, so I thought I would add it to the other pose I was liking.

Name:  _DSC5744-skin-moon-variant.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  555.4 KB
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-15-2011 at 01:05 AM.

flickr & Sdi

Red face After a substantial amount of conflict ...

I had a grade that was "unfairly" given by one of my instructors ... and now there is a pretty good notch in records of the school, that can truly state that these people can be reckless in their use of the rules. Unfortunately, it will take some evidence to truly derail this person's efforts, but the spotlight is now on!

Had it been another student, they may have suffered the system ... and I have not walked away from this matter unscathed, but that is to be expected when you question the academic powers that be. People get torqued. Personally, I would rather correct the problem, through the proper channels, than worry about the silly scars. Professionalism can be the shield for correcting many wrongs. Hold your tongue, but give a clear accounting of yourself ... and always have your cannons at the ready.

Finally, after six weeks, I have my Fall Quarter grades. No, they are not as pretty as I believed they'd be, when I started, but a bit better than they looked just a little while ago.

Did I burn a few bridges? Perhaps, but they weren't mine, thank God.

flickr & Sdi