Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 39 of 84 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Final Presentation - Digital Darkroom Class

Final presentation for my Digital Darkroom class (aka Photoshop) is this coming Friday. The assignment produce a portfolio of 8 cohesive images edited using various PS techniques learned throughout the semester. Images to be printed and mounted.

My series was out of the ordinary for the assignment - creating digital negatives for contact printing in a regular darkroom ala silver gelatin photographic paper. The overall theme - Prarie/Farmscapes.

Here's the first 5 images in negative and positive:
    Name:  Final_WesselDarin01.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  201.8 KB

Name:  Final_WesselDarin01Positive.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  126.6 KB

Name:  Final_WesselDarin02.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  175.4 KB

Name:  Final_WesselDarin02Positive.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  124.1 KB

Name:  Final_WesselDarin03.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  208.3 KB

Name:  Final_WesselDarin03Positive.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  174.7 KB

Name:  Final_WesselDarin04.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  242.8 KB

Name:  Final_WesselDarin04Positive.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  199.5 KB

Name:  Final_WesselDarin05.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  264.5 KB
    I'll post the rest later today or tomorrow morning.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???

Red face Too close for comfort

Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    peter, note the costs included in the above...100 8x11, (why not 8x12 ??), images don printed to help him decide which images to put in the book. i mean....WOWWWWWWW !!!! lol thats not going to be a cost 99.99999999% of people would need to pay.

not sure why you picked that OOF image to be the front cover Don. otherwise the book looks good. is that your idea to put it into a book format or was that the actual project ?
    The OOF image on the cover was the selection of the instructor. She saw it as an "artistic" entry, I suspect. Personally ... I saw no harm in it. Remember, there were only a thousand or so images to chose a usable variety of 50 or so. These animals are not that spectacular or motivated. To find them moving at all is ... well, special. The only motivation they have is chow time, otherwise ... they are not threatened, in need to hunt or anything, for that matter. The polar bear caught me by surprise in that shot, as I was stuck with children all around and in the way, I had a long minimum focus lens on ... and the rest in the bag.

The creation of the picture book WAS the project. You really ought to read the thread a little closer.

Well, there you have it.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

and its only $97 to buy ? cheap as chips !
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Don, just previewed the book & it looks pretty good to me you. I know it's a photo assignment for you but only thing I'd comment is that if you are hoping to sell it to recoup some costs then I'd have preferred some more text running through it. Not exactly a story or War & Peace but just some brief narative to tie it all together with short comments on how each shot was taken with settings. Just my 2c, oh & the back cover shot is my favourite I love that one, hope you get good marks.
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them

Red face Cause and effect ...

Quote Originally Posted by Phill D View Post
    Don ... the book ... looks pretty good to me ... I know it's a photo assignment for you but only thing I'd comment is that if you are hoping to sell it to recoup some costs then I'd have preferred some more text running through it. Not exactly a story or War & Peace but just some brief narrative to tie it all together with short comments on how each shot was taken with settings. Just my 2c, oh & the back cover shot is my favorite I love that one, hope you get good marks.
    Hey Phil, thanks for the review and pardon my condensing your quote.

You are dead-on with your expectation. I will admit that I was rushing to beat a deadline to have the book "on time" for publication and return. The requirements were for a fifty page photo-book ... only requiring minimum text. I did not want to create something with more possible points to pick on. "Keep-it-simple" was my slogan ... and doing that along with all the other production projects I have been involved in, this quarter ... I just was running out of gas. In my estimation, this quarter of study has been a tremendous load of work and I am a little embarrassed that I still owe most of my models from the November shoot their image disks, which I will tend to this weekend, as school is OVER!

So, bearing that in mind, I am going to do something I rarely ever do ... I apologize in earnest for releasing the "simplified" result. It is as basic as I could get away with and still get an "A" for it.

Okay, I did it. I 'fess'd up! Whew, glad that's off my chest.

To be honest (and personally speaking ... shhh, don't tell anyone) my own evaluation of the book did reveal its apparent and basic shortcomings ... and believe me when I say that I am planning an ongoing "correction" of sorts, when the weather improves. This past week, Brookfield Zoo announced the shutting down of several exhibits (really?). In the Spring 2011 ... basically, I will return to modifying the book (Second Edition) and will incorporate some additional new shots, if possible, to replace those that should really be cascaded on the same page, the modification of some pages into cascaded images and title pages and threading narrative to properly describe the various exhibit animals. I will also add an index, table of contents and some useful contact information. If I can get an interview with an animal or its keeper ... I may throw that in also. Kind of a "nice to know" aspect concerning feeding, care and habitat issues.

Since the Zoo seems to be in need of support, I will contact them for some collaborative ideas to donate half the sales proceeds to the Great Bear Wilderness exhibit.

The Eagles and Wolves were my biggest hurtle. The Eagles were removed to warmer surroundings for the last three weeks of the shoots and the wolves finally showed up, in the last three weeks of the shoots, having been missing/hiding the first four weeks. (Definitely a "sometimes you win, sometimes you ...")
    Last edited by DonSchap; 12-15-2010 at 03:04 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

No probs Don and no apologies necessary, I'm well aware what has to be done to meet deadlines. Hope you get your A.
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them

Thumbs up Got the "A"

Yepper,

by keeping it direct and simple, the book got the "A"

Sometimes information overkill is just distracting from the intent. You can improve on something so much ... you effectively miss the real point of the event.

Well, NOT this time, I am to report. I wanted people to look at the images, not read about them. It was a 50-page "photo essay" and I kept true to that idea.

Result: "A"

Please, don't misunderstand. I am not tooting my own horn here (well, kinda ) ... but, I knew I needed to make a simple statement and it was that. As you may have noted, it also was a rather serious time investment. Those animals are not sitting around, asking: "Now, here comes Don. What kind of cute and interesting show can we put on for him, today?" If they had been, I would have had this thing done, probably, in a few hours.

Look, I know these are not "circus animals" and I showed them in their current "home" away from the wild. Some have adapted. Some still may be looking for a quick way out. Most of the time, they sleep this "captivity" away. I am sure many would not choose to stay if given the option, but then again, the twin Grizzly Bears, "Jim" & "Axhi", were adopted by Brookfield Zoo, as cubs. They don't really know of anything other than dumpster-diving with their mom. She was shot by a hunter, but the "twins" were turned over to the Chicago Zoological Society. Now, these two great bears have "three-squares" a day and the local populous loving them. It is a trade-off, I guess. Still, I am not that interested in shaking paws with them, as big a "paw" as I have.

Keep your friends close ... and the bears away.

One small detail that I kind of found interesting from watching their behavior contrasted against the polar bears ... Polar bears shake to fluff their fur AFTER they get on dry land ... Grizzly bears shake off when their heads clear the surface of the water.

Name:  Grizzly-Shake.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  386.3 KB

Back to school on Jan. 10
    Last edited by DonSchap; 12-21-2010 at 08:51 AM.

flickr & Sdi

Break is over ...

Okay ... seemed like it just began ... and wham, back to the Photographic Grindstone.

This time ... the courses are more "general" than Photography specific. I only have Advanced Lighting this quarter, which ends on March 25th. I'm not too clear on the course requirements, but I am sure I will be at 6pm, when class ends.

Looks like the Spring Quarter (Apr-Jul) could be the more challenging, this year ... except, of course, for the Portfolio and Final Project wrap up, next Fall. Even then, I may just take a quarter off ... to gather my forces and produce a kick-butt final project. I was thinking of tagging up with a movie "stills" photographer, later this year, if possible. Also, the nefarious "Internship" has to be completed soon.

Here ... we ... go.

flickr & Sdi

Lightbulb Advanced Lighting

This quarter's class, "Advanced Lighting" appears to be geared toward studio usage of lighting in an effect to gauge the effect of light angles and lighting shaping on various subjects (table top and portrait).

For me, this becomes more of a formalized review and study of lighting effects, with more of an objective approach to the results. I know it may sound a little dry, but truth be told, exposure to the effects of lighting (no pun intended ... well, okay, may be a little) does allow the photographer the experience he needs to bring out the best result from various scenarios, ratherto hopefully limit the need of than having to shoot and shoot again, with major adjustment, before the fine detailing.

In short, while familiarizing the student with lighting implements, it seems nuance oriented as to their result and should be a bit more relaxed than the previous quarter's demands of photo production. I am not expecting much in the advancement of my photography ... and welcome the respite from the overpowering urge to put forth excessive time and talent. Okay ... I know ... being humble in this environment is ... not going to pay the rent. They want pizazz.

It seem to be boiling down to the basics and creative flair, just not too much.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-15-2011 at 07:37 AM.

flickr & Sdi

Thumbs up Participation ... yeah, let's go!

Quote Originally Posted by DWessel View Post
    Final presentation for my Digital Darkroom class (aka Photoshop) is this coming Friday. The assignment produce a portfolio of 8 cohesive images edited using various PS techniques learned throughout the semester. Images to be printed and mounted.

My series was out of the ordinary for the assignment - creating digital negatives for contact printing in a regular darkroom ala silver gelatin photographic paper. The overall theme - Prarie/Farmscapes.

Here's the first 5 images in negative and positive:

(see above)

I'll post the rest later today or tomorrow morning.
    Darin, I had hoped to see the rest of the images you offered. The work looks grand and a nice effort. I hope you are getting what you want from the training. Some of the things (Gen Eds) I am having to go through are offering little in my pursuit of my photographic dream, but they are great time & money consumers, for sure.

The idea of writing papers for the sake of writing papers that no one will probably read is a bit annoying. Again, it almost becomes an exercise in futility, when I consider the alternative pursuits I could be doing. But, then again, I committed to seeing this educational endeavor through to the end. There are a lot of dead ends that some "academic" purveyor, somewhere, determined had applicable purpose.

At this point in time, I do regret that this formal "reach back" in education had to be done at all, considering the lateness of the date in my life. The troublesome economic conditions forced my hand in a lot of ways and the number of degree'd people have been another force that has grown enormously and they have no place to go, either. I am seeing people with four-year degrees operating high-school level employment and unable to repay their school loans, due to the improperly aligned pay-scales vs education/experience/capability. At this point, I believe the country is actually "sickened" by this disparity of function, as it has warped the very fiber in the relationship between commerce and need. Kind of like fitting an old rust bucket of car with shiny new and expensive hubcaps, hoping to improve the overall appearance of the vehicle. Over-trained, underpaid, dis-spirited employees placed in positions where they will constantly be limited in growth, development and under constant financial pressure to make ends meet, with the enormous load of school debt they had planned on paying off with the promise of decent employment when they graduated.

This not the America of the fifties and sixties ... as I recall. Education was a benefit, then ... today, it has become a liability.

In a way, I suppose I want this effort to produce something more meaningful in sharing my "View of the World" as I see it artistically. I am also concerned that the quality of education in our country has backslid and the students are not getting what they intended or paid for, as witnessed in my personal daily account of classroom participation.

I suspect they have given too much power to the instructors ... and, as the old axiom proves time and again, absolute power corrupts absolutely. I had witnessed it in a class, last quarter, and I am still dealing with problems that created.

I hope your training is going with a bit less complexity and politics.

I, as a member of the DCRP forum, thank you for participating in this educational thread and I look forward to seeing more of your fine work. I hope others can see the value of expanding their knowledge and conceptual understanding for the production of their "view of the world."
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-15-2011 at 08:54 AM.

flickr & Sdi