Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 38 of 84 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    you're a one-man recession buster Don ! lol
    LOL!

Don, you don't need a 750W PSU for all that. But that should keep you flying for a good while. I haven't upgraded any of my cpu/mobo since Fall 2007 and it's been fine (Core 2 Quad)
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Talking Powerhouse w/ pixels

Again, it kind of felt good to kick the dust off the fans; out of the cabinet; and off the drives.

I had always loved tweaking my machine, back when I built two corporate NT-based networks, from the ground up, and then maintained them for a living ("boring"... sorry. I liked the building part ... maintenance just seems moronic and maddening after a while). But, like anything, it loses its luster after a couple hundred iterations. Being able to ramp up the overall speed and video performance, in anticipation of the coming versions of software, for less than a grand ... just seemed to make sense ... and with the demise of my earlier small RAID ... timely.

I was considering a DROBO solution (up to 5 x 2.5GB RAID-array drives), which is a Network Access Storage device for my home network for about the same cost, but while that does offload the storage requirement from the PC, it does nothing for the throughput of the actual work that I am doing. I'll be honest, I FEEL a lot better when I see "kick-butt" response from the PC ... so call this a "growth spurt" that should be good for a couple years, anyway.

If it's not screaming, then I probably am.

The change from XP was the real determination point in all this. It felt very similar to what occurred when Windows 95 went bye-bye. I actually still have Win95 hardware in boxes, on some shelf, that fell prey to that OS change. If you upgraded ... perfectly fine and "working" equipment just ... well, it just stopped working. The OS could not talk to it anymore. CD Rom drives, Sound boards, Video cards -> all deaf, dumb & blind.

At least the WinNT-driver equipment could survive the progressive OS improvement for a much longer period of time. In a way, I suppose that ripple-effect really made me reconsider "IT" as a career pursuit, because I felt that one of these kind of changes could literally decimate my network.

Admittedly, film has suffered similar types of issues, but it is only recent advancements that have taken the "brain-trust" out of photography. Where you had to calculate light intensities and balance the triad of camera settings for it ... the "common man's" equipment is getting so good, just about anyone can pull the shutter and get something reasonable looking.

Still ... artistic flair is what separates the α55-equipped masses from the true photographers. Don't get me wrong, here, I'm not knocking the camera. You can give anyone a great paint brush ... but, it is WHAT that person produces with it ... and the true beauty usually comes from understanding, application and some inherent talent.

Sorry, I preach to the choir. We all know this, but every once in a while, I suppose it is good to sit down and re-evaluate.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 12-04-2010 at 12:20 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Lightbulb Processing power vs. the PDF

One of the things I am going to explore, tonight, is creating a PDF-file from the 50-page book I created in DPH320.

Obviously, the book is drafted from the large 24.6MP images the α850 creates. I tried using my relatively new MSI A6005 laptop computer (2009), which is a CORE Duo 2, Windows 7 and it wound up producing pages at about 6 every 15-20 minutes. Not very cool when you are in a rush (I wound up aborting, because the class ended.)

I will try the same operation, tonight, with the new x6 core unit I built ... and see if the Adobe Distiller can get to it a little quicker than that. It should be a good test of ordinary type throughput.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Thumbs up Results ...

The original PDF conversion, on the dual Core 2 laptop took over two hours.

The new build (6 Core) machine got that down to 40 minutes. Yeah ... that works for me!

flickr & Sdi

Talking "Book 'em, Dano!"

Got the tangible book back ... and it looks super, for a first go around.

Here's the link:

http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1790769

... and when you think you are at the end of the book, there is another image as the rear cover.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 12-13-2010 at 05:03 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Got the tangible book back ... and it looks super, for a first go around.

Here's the link:

http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1790769

... and when you think you are at the end of the book, there is another image as the rear cover.

Looks great congrats!!!

Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro
    Slingshot 200 Bag

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/sparkie1263/

Unhappy The cost of doing art ...

Thanks for compliment, Frank ... out-of-pocket cost ranged to about $450 (which factors in the zoo membership cost, transportation costs, cost of the book and printing costs for the 100 or so 8" x 11" prints for decision-making) and then the seven-week period of time to get a variety of images (animals cooperating, of course ) to be able to produce ... something.

Admittedly, I was blessed that Autumn hung on just long enough to get the entire project in ... before "old man Winter" clobbered us with a rather frigid appearance.

Geez, at this rate ... I'll be broke before I know it.

I think it might get a good grade, but these grade$ are not coming cheap!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 12-13-2010 at 05:04 PM.

flickr & Sdi

It's good that you can cope with the OOPE but how does the average Student get by?
    They must be at a considerable disadvantage.

peter, note the costs included in the above...100 8x11, (why not 8x12 ??), images don printed to help him decide which images to put in the book. i mean....WOWWWWWWW !!!! lol thats not going to be a cost 99.99999999% of people would need to pay.

not sure why you picked that OOF image to be the front cover Don. otherwise the book looks good. is that your idea to put it into a book format or was that the actual project ?
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Yes, I would have been content to make the selection on screen and print only the selected images.
    Of course, you need to be confident that your printer output is matched to the screen.
    At the moment, I am having a bit of trouble with my spectrophotometer which really needs replacing.
    I wonder what pricepoint they will set on this little tool???