Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 37 of 84 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Question What do the "pros" say?

It is tempting to lose it and just let it go, Darin. Today is a very rainy day in Chicago ... depressing it its own way, but it is warm ... instead of the frosty-freezy glazing they have going on in Minneapolis.

The studio lights are already in place ... and that saves a ton of time and sweat (at least a good hour).

I am not sure what I am going to get with only one or two models, working through this ... but, it will be concentrated. The one young lady is going to have a lot to choose from, at least.

One of the criticisms I am getting from the professionals is on the "Martini-Girl." They are saying she needs to be:
    1. a lot younger (21?) or "younger looking" ... (18-21) would seem to be kind of legal issue
    2. needs longer legs
    3. tighter definition
    4. more "curvy" in the curvy spots

Yeah, like that is going to happen with midwestern farmer's daughters.

I support I could search through "OneModelPlace" and be more specific, then pony up the cash. Geez, that's even more far-fetched. I think for student output, this one went way beyond the call, as it is.

I need to marginalize this into the realm from which it started. Advancements and refinement can always be suggested and opined. All you need is $$$ and you can change a lot of things.

Anyway, I just wanted to share what the instructional staff had to say.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Don,
    Maybe this won't be such a bad thing. Maybe having fewer people will be actually be better. Like Rooz said, maybe you can keep it simple, have more time with each model, and concentrate on getting more keepers.
    I know it still sucks that people bailed on you, but perhaps it will work out for the best.
    JR

Thumbs up Shoot II in the can

Okay, it was a little different, but we made due and were out of there 1-hour ahead of schedule. The restaurant rep had to leave early, anyway, so it worked out.

The rain is kind of annoying, tonight. Even had a tornado warning at the school ... driving everyone into the interior halls for 1/2-hour. Nothing materialized, so yeah ... we're still here.

Okay, that's it for this week ... no school until next Monday. Nothing but working the shots from the shoot, getting the disks to the models and that's that.

These TFP shoots may be more hassle than they are worth. It may just be better to just pay the models for their time and not have to provide for their portfolios.

Yeah, I am still learning the ropes and trying not to hang myself.

BTW: newbies, watch this! It explains MANUAL and membership in the "80% Club" - LOL
    Last edited by DonSchap; 11-22-2010 at 05:22 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Don,

OMG, that is too funny yet soooo true. I particularly love the "whites are hard" and the holding the sittings in mid-day sun with pop-up flash on full auto.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???

I better take down my web site now that the word is out. That is too funny!!!

Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro
    Slingshot 200 Bag

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/sparkie1263/

Cool Shake your bootie

As I review the second shoot, it was nowhere near as productive as the first. I may even scrap the idea of using it at all. The model was entirely different to work with than the first set. The result was not "pretty."

Anyway, there was one creative part that lent itself to further thought, and that was the 'martini shaker' stairwell, on the outside of the building.

Name:  What-is-in-your-shaker.JPG
Views: 89
Size:  308.0 KB

Then with some creative mixing ...

Name:  shaker-fun.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  292.8 KB
    Last edited by DonSchap; 11-24-2010 at 08:35 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Last assignment before final project

I've been remiss in posting updates on my ed-ja-macation efforts. So far, my "Digital Darkroom" (aka indepth Photoshop class) has been rather task oriented with multiple weekly assignments. Not much on actual photo assignments.

The last assignment before final project was a "False City Scape." Assignment was to shoot a series of street/building scenes. Select one as a background image and add at least three new buildings to create a new cityscape.

My original background shot:
    Name:  False-Cityscape-Original.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  311.5 KB

My final edited and new cityscape:
    Name:  False-Cityscape-Final.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  346.0 KB

The purpose of the assignment was to utilize prior PS skills to select buildings from other images, import them into the background image, adjust size and perspective and then blend the images together using various blending techniques.

Now its onto the final project - create a series of 8 cohesive images of our choice using the techniques learned throughout the semester. They can be photorealistic, graphic or any sort of combination in between. From a general perspective, my final project is creating digital negatives to create prints in the darkroom. So far, I've developed three different series -- Colonial Williamsburg, Farm/Prariescapes, and snow/mountainscapes. Just haven't decided which I will use in the end. Will post soon.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???

that is amazing.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Thumbs up Finally going for the computer support

Nice job, Darin.

Over the past three weeks, my main computer took a nasty virus hit and I wound up losing it to apparent damage on my c: drive. Friggin' thing would not even boot up without going blue screen in the first boot run!

Anyway ... I decided to upgrade it in a couple of ways.

First: I replaced the damaged RAID 1 drives from a pair of 250 GB to 1 TB.

Second: I upgraded my OS from Windows XP 32-bit to Windows 7 (64-bit)

Third: Yeah ... complications set in when my ASUS EAX1600XT Video Card had no drivers in Windows 7 (32 or 64) {oops!} ... they had Vista 64 ... but not Win7. Yep, a perfectly good video card -> circular file. Geesh.

So, tonight, I went shopping for a replacement Win 7 compatible card and after some serious discussion, I "settled" on a ATi Radeon HD 5850 which has 1GB of GDDRS VideoRAM on it. Okay, that should handle the big shots pretty nicely.

So, I'm walking around the store ... trying to figure out how in the heck I am going to FIT the darn double-width video card into my PC because there is an E-SATA interface card taking up the slot adjacent to the PCI-Express video slot. I cannot change how I lay it out inside, as aside from the PCI Express slot, there are only two other PCI slots on the existing M/B and I cannot physically accommodate BOTH of these cards on it.

Okay, I begin to rationalize ... how about a NEW motherboard w/ E-SATA build into it? If I get a new M/B, that means -> new processor ... which means new memory for the new processor ... any other damage? Heck yeah! I only have a 580W P/S (which ain't bad for most machines, but this requires serious juice to drive this beast) in my machine ... with the enhanced power draw of the video card and the faster processor ... ding ding -> there is a need for a larger 750W Power Supply ... to adequately run the entire thing.

Well ... I have to admit, in the past few months, with all the school work and shoots, I had been running the larger files from the α850. The sheer time it takes to multi-layer and update in Photoshop has really suffered. It just takes longer to do Photomerge and HDR in CS4. With CS5 just about here, for the school ... the added horsepower will be appreciated.

So ... decisions, decisions ... I pulled a quarter out of my pocket and gave it a toss. Okay, I bit ... completely new innards for my base PC. Yeah, it means a reload of the software ... I had to do that anyway, do to the loss of the C: drive.

So, I picked up:

and throw the entire shootin' match together, up and running, in less than three hours. Fastest "cold build" upgrade I have ever done. It boots up in less than thirty seconds. Shuts down in five. It's ready for software.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 12-04-2010 at 12:52 AM.

flickr & Sdi

you're a one-man recession buster Don ! lol
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr