Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 30 of 84 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080 ... LastLast

Talking

I wasn't more explicit earlier. I agree with Rooz -- for the first shot, the timing was great; it's just too bad the noise is just pretty awful.
    Maybe you should have rented that D3 again...

Red face Lacking light ...

Shooting with ambient light ... trying to keep the motion as sharp as timing will allow ... it is a bad combination. The a850 was straining, I will admit. I was pushing it to its limit, so better ISO response ... or the 35mm f/1.8 or 50mm f/1.4 would have probably been a better solution. I have been begging SONY to deliver a better sensor for the past year, but they are still playing games with the younger bunch ... and ignoring the true issue for the advanced cameras. SLT is the flavor of the week.

Again, I should stick with the flash and forget screwing around with low light. The noise is all over these shots and I apologize for subjecting you to the ragged edge.

Life goes on ...

BTW: The D3 is in for repair, so it cannot even be used. Hence, no pictures at all, no matter what lenses you have. Can you imagine, $4000 worth of Nikkor-glass and nothing decent to mount it on?
    Last edited by DonSchap; 11-05-2010 at 08:21 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    I have been begging SONY to deliver a better sensor for the past year, but they are still playing games with the younger bunch ... and ignoring the true issue for the advanced cameras. SLT is the flavor of the week.
    You know, the weird thing is that the a850 (& a900) share the same sensor as the D3X (Sony makes the sensor), yet the D3X doesn't have the high ISO noise issues the Sony cameras have. So, logically, there must be something else Nikon is doing that Sony is not. Could it be the image processing engine?

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    BTW: The D3 is in for repair, so it cannot even be used. Hence, no pictures at all, no matter what lenses you have. Can you imagine, $4000 worth of Nikkor-glass and nothing decent to mount it on?
    That should be a crime!!!

I'm sure your shots will turn out just fine next time with flash.

Quote Originally Posted by jr_rodriguez View Post
    You know, the weird thing is that the a850 (& a900) share the same sensor as the D3X (Sony makes the sensor), yet the D3X doesn't have the high ISO noise issues the Sony cameras have. So, logically, there must be something else Nikon is doing that Sony is not. Could it be the image processing engine?
    the d3x isnt too much better, maybe half a stop. i've seen some hi iso images from a d3x first hand and they are pretty crap when compared to the d700 for example. the bigger difference was between the a700 and d300. same sensor but over a stop difference in performance.

not sure if you've seen whats coming out of the d3s but it is remarkable.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Red face Budgetary realizations ...

I do not have access to a D3s ... the school won't pop for one of those, yet.

I am hoping someone yanks SONY's head out of their proverbial arse ... and gets with it. I am so tired of seeing this noise issue dominate my low light shots. I hate the idea that I would have to wash my shots in a Noise Removal Tool, every darn time I do it. Advanced Digital should not require that.

Obviously, outdoors, everything is a wash, at ISO-200. I mean, who cares? You could probably take a rather acceptable shot with an a200.

But when you need a nice looking ISO-1600+ shot ...
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Lightbulb Minimizing disaster

Hey Don,

Was everyone in your photo class(es) supposed to photograph the same event? I noticed several people with DSLRs...Was the event at the school itself?
    The event was a "location shoot" scheduled for the Location Photography class. The entire class of 19-students got out and popped images.

These two shots were my entries (two shot minimum) into the ring, so to speak.

flickr & Sdi

It's in the noise processing algorithm. If it is in fact the exact same sensor, then I guess Nikon just has better programmers.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???

Thumbs up Coming shoots ...

November is hopping in the "Location Photography" course. We have had a shoot a week and continue to. Some weeks are loaded up with two events.

Obviously, some locations lend themselves better to photography than others, but hey, I have to say and agree ... it is all in the lighting. Duh!

The coming shoot will be in a huge, empty, multi-floored, dust-ridden warehouse. We pretty much have the run of the place, but I tend to think you need to get ahead of such shoots, instead of just waltzing in and trying to make the "best of it." Electrical looks to be sufficent, but coordinating shoot points will be just short of annoying and time consuming.

As such, I researched a new location (a whole lot cleaner), where I did just that. I was able to obtain use of the location for two, four-hour days ... with nearly complete control of the interior of the property, as the shoot takes place. Having the ability to reposition items, set up lighting, and proximity control cannot be understated. Honestly, with that kind of license, a lot unique and impressive things are definitely possible. Plus, I can even leave the lighting set-ups in place, overnight, without substantial fear of loss or damage.

With the end of the month filled with the holiday and shopping (Black Friday), most of the work has to get done in the first twenty days, or it is just not going to be very practical after that.

It will be fun to see how successful this series of events will be.

flickr & Sdi

Question Reviewing your photography

I am back in the zoo, today ... getting more pseudo-field shoots.

I was wondering: if you take a shot from indoors, through a window, of a subject that is outside, under natural light (sunlight) ... is that an outdoor or indoor shot?

Is the window just acting like a "animal-control" filter in front of your camera?

Name:  Aussie-3.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  419.8 KB

Maybe how you meter it makes the call ...?

It's the weirder part of doing this. Classifying the shot.

BTW: I know this is a technically-hosed shot (circular polarizer still on the lens), but some people actually think it looks kind of cool. Others say it looks like there is petroleum in the water. Hey, it's a big world and God knows there is plenty of opinion to go around.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 11-07-2010 at 06:17 AM.

flickr & Sdi

Smile Wolfing it down

I finally got an acceptable field shot of one of the wolves. These elusive creatures are not all that excited about human interaction ... so getting close is a challenge. to be sure.

Name:  _DSC2547-adj.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  471.4 KB
    α850 w/ SONY 70-400mm f/4-5.6 G SSM
    @ 400 mm - f/10 - 1/80 sec. - ISO-400 - CWA - Manual - Daylight

Last edited by DonSchap; 11-07-2010 at 04:53 PM.

flickr & Sdi