Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 26 of 84 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast

Thumbs up Thanks for the feedback

Quote Originally Posted by sparkie1263 View Post
    I just took a tour of your web site and it looks good.

Thank you for the feedback, Frank. It still needs a tweak here and there ... but at least it is up and limpin' along.

I have a shoot on Saturday (9/18) to should be interesting. A six-hour fashion/model training shoot ... that I am bringing my sling bag with three standard zooms (12-24mm f/4.5-5.6, 24-70mm f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8) and the mecablitz flash and my smaller backpack of PRIMEs.

• 24mm f/2.8 AF (min focus 0.8-ft)
    • 28mm f/2.8 AF (min focus 0.9-ft)
    • 50mm f/1.4 AF (min focus 1.5-ft)
    • 85mm f/1.4 MF (min focus 3.3-ft)
    • 85mm f/2.8 AF (min focus 2-ft)
    • 135mm f/1.8 AF (min focus 2.3-ft)
    • 135mm f/2.8 [4.5] MF STF (min focus 2.8-feet)
    • 200mm f/2.8 AF G APO HS (min focus 5-ft)
    • 1.4x, 2x, 3x T/C
    • Right-angle viewfinder

Obviously, the backpack will be settled in for sourcing from ... and after I trial and error the ambient lighting ... I can make a better determination what glass is going to get used. I admit, I am not used to fashion-type photography and after asking around the school, it would appear that a lot of decision-making depends (as you would expect) on the distance you are from the subjects. ... so I figure I'll it out when I get there. It seems strikingly similar to the stage photography in these nightclubs, only not nearly as dark.

I anticipate if you shoot wider than 50mm, you are going to introduce some kind of distortion, as you go wide. Longer than 135mm ... I am probably too far away. I am hoping the 85mm` and the 135mm PRIMEs are ALL I will need to draw upon ... but, I will be ready.

Running the numbers ...

I worked up the DOF characteristics for the FF camera working with the 85mm/135mm/200mm lenses, so I will have an idea of what aperture to shoot to get focus depth.

________ 85mm DOF ________|________ 135mm DOF ________|_______ 200mm DOF _____
    Dist (ft) _ Aperture _ DOF (ft) | Dist (ft) _ Aperture _ DOF (ft) | Dist (ft) _ Aperture _ DOF (ft)
    ___ 5 _____ 2.8 _____ 0.17 ___|__ 5 _______ 1.8 _______ 0.04 _|___ 5 ______ 2.8 ______ 0.03
    ___ 5 _____ 4.0 _____ 0.24 ___|__ 5 _______ 2.8 _______ 0.06 _|___ 5 ______ 4.0 ______ 0.04
    ___ 5 _____ 5.6 _____ 0.34 ___|__ 5 _______ 4.0 _______ 0.09 _|___ 5 ______ 5.6 ______ 0.06
    ___ 5 _____ 8.0 _____ 0.48 ___|__ 5 _______ 5.6 _______ 0.13 _|___ 5 ______ 8.0 ______ 0.08
    __ 10 _____ 2.8 _____ 0.70 ___|_ 10 _______ 1.8 _______ 0.17 _|__ 10 ______ 2.8 ______ 0.12
    __ 10 _____ 4.0 _____ 0.99 ___|_ 10 _______ 2.8 _______ 0.27 _|__ 10 ______ 4.0 ______ 0.17
    __ 10 _____ 5.6 _____ 1.40 ___|_ 10 _______ 4.0 _______ 0.38 _|__ 10 ______ 5.6 ______ 0.24
    __ 10 _____ 8.0 _____ 1.99 ___|_ 10 _______ 5.6 _______ 0.54 _|__ 10 ______ 8.0 ______ 0.34
    __ 15 _____ 2.8 _____ 1.59 ___|_ 15 _______ 1.8 _______ 0.39 _|__ 15 ______ 2.8 ______ 0.28
    __ 15 _____ 4.0 _____ 2.25 ___|_ 15 _______ 2.8 _______ 0.62 _|__ 15 ______ 4.0 ______ 0.39
    __ 15 _____ 5.6 _____ 3.20 ___|_ 15 _______ 4.0 _______ 0.88 _|__ 15 ______ 5.6 ______ 0.56
    __ 15 _____ 8.0 _____ 4.57 ___|_ 15 _______ 5.6 _______ 1.24 _|__ 15 ______ 8.0 ______ 0.79

Admittedly, the 200mm @ 5ft (no matter what aperture) does not have a lot of DOF! Looks like I can consider 10-feet @ f/2.8 pretty safe with the 85mm. When you get to under 6-inches of DOF ... the human subject begins to look soft in places. Analyzing this crude chart, you can readily see why these are considered portrait lenses.

As far as flash goes, I am limited to whatever I can get out of my main battery in the mecablitz, as the waist battery-pack went in for service , after I found it not holding a full change. I ran through a full charge (100%) cycle, twice, each time finding the BP @ 40% or less after a couple of days. I am assuming it is defective, so it is off on its obligatory repair session. Cripes, first it is lenses, then even the flash parts get returned, huh? C'mon, a battery pack? Too many moving parts, I guess.

Anyway, I did get a hundred-plus shots out of the mecablitz main battery at my niece's wedding, last month, so I am going to assume it will make it through this shoot, if needed. I'll have the HVLs, as well as the α700, out in the truck, just in case. Backups for backups.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-17-2010 at 09:57 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr® & Sdi

site design looks really good. is it aimed at potential customers or just a site for kicks ? oh...and why are you talk about youself in the 3rd person and using the term "we at sdi ?" that is agonisingly annoying.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Lightbulb Siting in on my photography

Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    site design looks really good. is it aimed at potential customers or just a site for kicks ? oh...and why are you talk about yourself in the 3rd person and using the term "we at sdi ?" that is agonizingly annoying.
    Well, we thought ... oops, sorry. Okay, you two go sit down ... over there. I swear "Me" and "Myself" are a real handful, Rooz ... while "I" am the practical one.

I could go back and rewrite the concept. "Sdi" was originally going to be a consortium of a few people and may still be, at some point. It certainly depends on so many, many things. Money being a rather large item in that discussion (what's new?). I'll give it another week or two and then ... I will go with a less "third person" description.

As for the site intent ... I would say "it is somewhere in between", because I used a lot of family stuff so the family would relate to it, when they viewed it. I have to say, the dog seemed to like it, but like you, he also implied it was a little ... "ruff."

For the class, it needed to be up and operational ... and so it is. Class ends next week. As needed, I will clean it up and begin to add images that should appeal to professional viewers. Personally, I did like the aircraft shots and probably will leave them up.

I thank you for your comments and appreciate you taking the time to review the site. I will try to improve upon it as time permits.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-17-2010 at 10:22 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr® & Sdi

Red face A couple of shots from today ...

I got a chance to use the new SONY AF 85mm f/2.8 SAM ... as I wanted to see what it was capable of in REAL life.

I plan on posting a few shots from today's shoot. The first four images are with the 85mm f/2.8 SAM:

Name:  _DSC0205-crop.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  303.1 KB
    EXIF: 85mm - f/4.5 - 1/125 sec. - ISO-100 - Lighting: Vertical ProFoto Flash

Name:  _DSC0277-crop.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  280.9 KB
    EXIF: 85mm - f/11 - 1/160 sec. - ISO-100 - Lighting: Calumet Studio Strobe

Name:  _DSC0324-adj.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  353.7 KB
    EXIF: 85mm - f/11 - 1/100 sec. - ISO-100 - Lighting: Vertical ProFoto Flash

Name:  _DSC0316-adj.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  214.7 KB
    EXIF: 85mm - f/11 - 1/100 sec. - ISO-100 - Lighting: Lighting: Calumet Studio Strobe

The fifth & sixth shots are from the SONY CZ 135mm f/1.8. I had trouble deciding on 5 & 6 (so here's both):

Name:  _DSC0247-crop.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  386.5 KB
    EXIF: 135mm - f/11 - 1/125 sec - ISO-100 - Spot Focus - M mode - Lighting: Vertical ProFoto Flash

Name:  _DSC0242-adj.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  384.2 KB
    EXIF: 135mm - f/11 - 1/125 sec - ISO-100 - Spot Focus - M mode - Lighting: Vertical ProFoto Flash

|

School ain't so tough!

Name:  _DSC0271-adj.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  212.2 KB
    EXIF: 135mm - f/13 - 1/100 sec - ISO-100 - Spot Focus - M mode - Lighting: Twin 750W Calumet Studio Strobe

Due to the setting of the flash, we metered for f/11 @ 1/125th second @ ISO-100 ... which makes even the novice camera-slinger look good. Artistically, well ... you do what you can. Light makes right.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-19-2010 at 01:16 PM.

flickr® & Sdi

Thumbs up 2/3rds there

Well, two of three classes ended, tonight. The work was well received, so I am anticipating solid grades.

The "girls" definitely got attention and even the female students were ... well, amazed and impressed (but please, they are students ... c'mon). They spent a lot of time inspecting the images. I printed them on MagicLée Verona 250HD 100% cotton Fine Art Paper Media ... and that was the true magic in the presentation. The EPSON 3800 handing the 13" x 19" paper with not problem, other than this heavier gauge paper must be fed single sheet, through the lower manual feed slot, in the rear of the printer.

I know I did get a lot out of doing the "fashion shoot" on Saturday and more than anything, I grew to appreciate the low-recycle times of the ProFoto flash equipment. Seeing them working against the Calumet Studio Strobes ... all I can say is ... I know where I could spend a lot of money. Wow!

I need to check rental prices on this stuff. Smokin'!

Tomorrow, I present the Sdi website and that be all she wrote for this quarter.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-20-2010 at 06:50 PM.

flickr® & Sdi

Talking It's a wrap! Well, at least for now.

The Summer 2010 Quarter is over ... currently I am at 112/180-hrs

Next quarter's core classes ... Location Photography and Photographic Essay & Visual Narrative.

I may have to consider the bigger battery-powered strobes ... like the Bowens Gemini 1500Pro 2-Head Kit w/ Travelpak. Now, if you thought that the 4x standard studio strobes were a deep reach into the pocket ... this little illumination solution is about 3-times deeper. Battery solutions are not cheap and always at risk, because ... well, you use them and need to recharge. Yeah ... that mean the infamous "spare."

I have checked with the school and they do not have these devices, so I am wondering just how far 'on location' I can go without them? I suppose I could pop for a $500 8000W Portable Gas Generator, but talk about "the noise." The course description mentions the students being challenged with a variety of assignments related to fashion, portraiture, product, stock and architectural photography. That is not a lot go on ... guess I may just have to await the syllabus for details.

It may be time to "rent."
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-22-2010 at 06:25 AM.

flickr® & Sdi

Arrow The education chase ...

Okay, the first "casting call" is up ... and the wait begins for all those lovely models to line up waiting for lightning to strike their lives ... and a "star is born" inside my α850!

I am curious to see what kind of response I get for "TF" type compensation (pictures for modeling). Obviously I do not want to waste anyone's time, especially my own ... and when God created money, it was to buy camera equipment, not rent models, for goodness sake. We all know that! Gorsh!

Another school week is down ... and this looks intense. They have definitely upped the ante, requiring the creation of a 50-image/page hardcover photo-essay on a specific topic, done over the next ten weeks for Photographic Essay & Visual Narrative class. It will also have an ISBN number. Anybody out there made a book like this?

Location Photography, as it sounds ... pulls us out of the school and to places in the area. The problem I have is that the class is sandwiched between my other two, this time, leaving darn little time to get to the location of the shoot.

Finally, my General Education class is ... yeah, c'mon ... you have to know. Okay, before I say it ... what is the one item on my "wish list" that I have been skirting for the past three years? Yeah ... yeah ... I know your thinking ... maybe even pulling the trigger on my signature ...

Yeah, the scope! The Edward Teller-scope. I ordered it, today ... and got an additional $90 off it, by doing so. The heaviest part should be here by the end of next week ... then dribs and drabs of the rest, as they have sold out of a few of the extra parts. So, yep ... heavenly bodies will abound in my Astronomy class. I'll finally get big ol' Jupiter in my sights and see what we shall see. Then attach the α850 to the back end of it, via the T-mount, and capture what we shall capture with a 2032mm lens. I wonder what could happen with the 3x TC on that baby? Yeah, I know, an f/28-shot, as the scope is already at f/10 before we do anything, due to its 200mm diameter aperture. 2032mm/200mm = f/10

The biggest struggle in this eventual decision was the awful "light pollution" from the City of Chicago, the I-90 and I-294 Expressways just to the south and east and, of course, O'Hare's landing lights, all within a mile of my backyard. No matter if I stuck with the eight-inch mirror or went big, to the eleven-inch one, the affect was equally devastating. Why waste the money? It already has taken out a number of astro-shoots with other contraptions.

As it is, to do any justice to these kind of shots, I'm probably going to wind up driving to Zion, IL, where the old nuclear power plant is. It is pretty "light-free" in that general area, with Lake Michigan to the East and farmer's Brown, Jones and Dunne to the West. The 8-inch scope weighs about 80 lbs, setup ... the 11-inch was nearly 120 lbs and that would be a much more serious haul.

So, this school experience puts another instrument in the bag. Life can be so cruel when your back is ... testy at besty.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 10-11-2010 at 06:19 PM.

flickr® & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    The biggest struggle in this eventual decision was the awful "light pollution" from the City of Chicago ...
    As it is, to do any justice to these kind of shots, I'm probably going to wind up driving to Zion, IL, where the old nuclear power plant is. It is pretty "light-free" in that general area ...
    Except for the greenish glow from the nuclear power plant .
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???

Cool Moving ahead ...

So, preliminary shots were needed for the 50-page book idea development. Instead of going for rather obvious "glass-caged women" shoot, I am going with documenting the new Brookfield Zoo exhibit, "Great Bear Wilderness Trail", that was just opened last month. Today was just a quick run through to catch the overall look of the exhibit. It took the Zoo all year to get it going, but the bears, eagles, wolves and bison look right at home in their larger enclosures. The image "build up" and photo fill-in will require several trips back to the exhibit, for hopefully, some serious behind-the-scenes shots of both the care and protection of these awesome animals. People are a royal-pain-in-the-(blank).

Name:  Polar-10122010.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  398.7 KB
    EXIF: a850 w/ TAMRON 70-200mm f/2.8 w/ Circular Polarizer
    @ 135mm - f/7.1 - 1/640 sec - ISO-400 - Ap mode - CWA metering

There were too many visitors to the exhibit to really get too serious about the shots, but this particular one really stood out from the others. I shot with a circular polarizer, resulting in the weird color banding as the light came through the glass. Still, it looks pretty cool, like a cross between a painting and an image ... with 3D-glasses on. LOL.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 10-13-2010 at 03:32 PM.

flickr® & Sdi

Lightbulb An additional set

10 new images and prints have to be ready by Wednesday morning, for critique and whatnot, so back to the zoo I go.

The amazing part to all this is the overall logistical cost of this little project.

100-sheets of Luster-finished Paper (8.5" x 11") ... $35

Ink costs - One refill (7 cartridges) on the EPSON 3800 = $370

The gasoline transport is roughly 1/3 tank round trip (10 gallons ... @ $3/gal ... 5 trips = $150)

Zoo-membership (one year) = $60

Then throw in the cost of producing the book $100-200 depending on how big and fancy the one-off will be. I think we are getting to why there is a stipend in the tuition.

School is definitely not for the feint of heart. This just the one class.

It's really not much in consideration of what a one-off Lenticular Print would be. Cripes, the artwork charge alone is $500-700 ... when I finally added it all up, it was close to $1500 for a SINGLE print. Subsequent prints are where you start to see the price break. It almost has to be a commercial venture, unless you have a an uncle in the biz. If stereoscopic viewing takes off and becomes "practical" ... there will be remarkable savings against this lenticular format.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 10-14-2010 at 02:07 PM.

flickr® & Sdi