Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 25 of 84 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575 ... LastLast

Lightbulb The "Onesey"

Yes, this was a project for DPH201

Project: Create an eight-page Photo-book on a single sheet of 8.5" x 11" Matte paper, telling a story in pictures ... w/ or w/o limited text ... complete the book folding and turn in for grade.

Okay, I came up with this story idea... and while it was a little rushed due to time of assignment and subject availability ... it is turned in for the grade.

Name:  Sox-Minibook.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  840.8 KB

It is important to print these books on Matte paper, because any type of finished (luster or glossy) paper cracks at the folds. The green line is where the ONLY cut on the book goes. It should be as sharp as possible, where the images meet ... and they have to be in perfect alignment, so work close and use guides with SNAP on for proper image alignment. Each image should be exactly 2.75(w) x 4.25(l) and should be in portrait orientation. If you are truly interested in the rest of the instructions for folding, I can include them.

The bottom right corner image is page 1 or "the cover", then it goes up and to the left for pages 2, 3, 4, 5, the drops back down on the left for 6, 7, & 8 or "back cover."

Name:  Minibook1.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  199.8 KB

Name:  Minibook2.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  238.8 KB

It is a cute idea and makes a "nifty gifty" to the kids or the moms. It sits on a work desk or kitchen table, upright and everyone always grabs it to look at it.

Probably the next best thing to do with a single sheet of paper since the paper-airplane or the wadded-up paper basketball destined for the circular file.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-12-2010 at 11:33 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Unhappy There are concerns ...

Quote Originally Posted by DWessel View Post
    Don,

You should check Freestyle Photo. They have really great prices and student discount. Their Arista brand (no student discount) is very affordable and really good quality. Even with shipping costs, their prices may well beat what you can get in your local neighborhood.
    Darin,

Calumet's Brilliant paper line is made by EPSON and re-branded ... making it completely compatible with my EPSON 3800 printer and at about 2/3 the price of normal EPSON brand paper. I once tried Canon paper on the printer ... and the image was just tragic. The drying agent in the paper was not compatible with the ink from the printer. The result was just a mess. I'm not taking that chance, again. Also, it falls prey to my Calumet Photographic student discount, so I am not complaining.

Thank you for your suggestion, though, and I urge anyone reading this to adopt Darin's suggestion, also, unless your experience has demonstrated otherwise.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-12-2010 at 11:47 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Frank,

In your destination image, you want to create a new blank layer. Go to your source image and with the clone stamp tool, select a portion of the image you want to clone. (Note, if your source image is the same size or nearly the same size as your destination image, you might want to use the image resize function in PS to downsize it somewhat at first, but larger than what you think you will ultimately need.) Return to your destination image, make sure your new blank layer is selected and start cloning. You don't need to be exact because you can clean up the edges by erasing and/or masking on the clone layer.

Once you get your cloned image cleaned up, you can then use the transform tools to downsize the cloned image to the size you want. You can reposition using the move tool as well.
    Darin, I wouldn't have thought of using cloning although I think the clone method works well for the face on jug image.
    I'd simply select the Fighter, execute CTR+J to duplicate the selection on a new layer.
    Hide the main image and use the eraser to clean up the edges of the fighter.
    Drag the Fighter layer to the Firework image.
    CTR+T to transform the Fighter size (holding the shift key to maintain proportions).

Obviously there are a load of selection tools to choose from.
    With a geometric shape like the Fighter you could better use the Pen tool to make the selection.
    Change the Path created by the Pen tool into a selection.
    CTR+J to duplicate the selection on a new layer.
    No messy erasing to do.

As always, there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Frank,

In your destination image, you want to create a new blank layer. Go to your source image and with the clone stamp tool, select a portion of the image you want to clone. (Note, if your source image is the same size or nearly the same size as your destination image, you might want to use the image resize function in PS to downsize it somewhat at first, but larger than what you think you will ultimately need.) Return to your destination image, make sure your new blank layer is selected and start cloning. You don't need to be exact because you can clean up the edges by erasing and/or masking on the clone layer.

Once you get your cloned image cleaned up, you can then use the transform tools to downsize the cloned image to the size you want. You can reposition using the move tool as well.
    I will give it a try.

Thanks
    Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro
    Slingshot 200 Bag

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/sparkie1263/

Quote Originally Posted by Peekayoh View Post
    As always, there's more than one way to skin a cat.
    Agreed. That is especially true with PS which offers multiple ways of achieving the same result/goal.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Darin,

Calumet's Brilliant paper line is made by EPSON and re-branded ... making it completely compatible with my EPSON 3800 printer and at about 2/3 the price of normal EPSON brand paper. I once tried Canon paper on the printer ... and the image was just tragic. The drying agent in the paper was not compatible with the ink from the printer. The result was just a mess. I'm not taking that chance, again. Also, it falls prey to my Calumet Photographic student discount, so I am not complaining.

Thank you for your suggestion, though, and I urge anyone reading this to adopt Darin's suggestion, also, unless your experience has demonstrated otherwise.
    It is my understanding that the Arista brand's glossy and "ultra luster" are made by the same manufacturer as Epson's photo papers.

Everyone should be aware of whether their ink jet photo printer uses dye based inks or pigment based inks as some papers are formulated to only accept one type of ink. Some papers are formulated to accept both. It is always advisable to check the paper box to make sure the paper is compatable with your specific printer.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???

Question A Doctorate in Photography

Well, I may just blow by the Master's program and get my Doctorate in Photography ... write a few papers, cause some serious grief in the Nikon, Canon and SONY community ... you know, the average life pursuit.

It looks like Pentax is definitely making strides in their own regard. A surge of interest and product ... they have incorporated RF flash control in their new camera. See ... this is where the new α7xx should be ... and where is it?

Let's look under this cushion ... no, not here? Were could it be? ::: checking watch ... looking around, in a panic :::

Oh, I remember, SONY for the past three years is so busy pushing the toy development and useless, novelty 3D-technology, they do not have time to get TOO SERIOUS with the bigger stuff. When they do ... it is either catch-up and then downgrade, to make it marketable. How about some serious R&D in something bigger than the APS-C sensor? Do you sense the Minolta development team rolling around in their graves?

Even PENTAX has a medium format digital on the shelf (645D) and yes, it is compatible with PENTAX lenses, going back.

You can MAKE dot BELIEVE that, too.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-15-2010 at 11:45 AM.

flickr & Sdi

Smile Wandering through the school ...

Today, I was invited to rummage through the assortment of photographic equipment available for check-out to the student (with required need, obviously).

I came across a Nikon AF 200mm f/2 lens. (Sardonically) Now, that's real handy for a student. Geesh, what a waste of good money. That kind of lens belongs to a person, not a training facility. I doubt most people could even appreciate what it can do have not had their camera for less than a year or so (like most of the students, here). Plus. for the cost of that one rather limited lens ... you could have nearly six other really useful ones ... and really decent ones, too!

They also have a pair "panoramic" tripods (with the adjustable mounting rails) to adjust the rotational nexus ... and I may just make use of that device. Both were covered in room dust ... attesting to their not being used in years.

Some people just have no idea what they are buying ... or for what. I guess I can attribute that to what the school may be requiring from the students and the teaching staff making the students "aware" of the gear they have available to them.

Me ... I have a lot of this stuff. What do I care? I know if if I were 18-20 years old, with, like, zero-coin ... and hardly a lick of sense ... oops, sorry ... if I was unaware (ignorant and uned-ja-macated) ... I may find this knowledge of check-out product of some value.

flickr & Sdi

Exclamation "Web Development" class produces ...

Well ... I bit the bullet and produced a web site for "Sdi" (Schap Digital Imaging) and have a place to tuck away a couple images.

The s-shape web site is available for free from flashmo.com, along with many other types. It should be monstrously obvious that I used the S-style to go along with the "S" in "Sdi." Supportive and positive comments are appreciated. Derogatory ones ... you can email. Please do not screw up the thread with horse-pucky. We've already had plenty of that.

The website will expand, as time goes on, and I may even add a small forum dedicated to image discussion, BUT to successfully complete the class, the initial page had to be constructed and operating by September, 21st. It is rather rudimentary, based on how FLASH has advanced in recent years, but what the hey? You have to walk before you can run, right?
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-16-2010 at 12:13 PM.

flickr & Sdi

I just took a tour of your web site and it looks good.

Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter