Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 20 of 84 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast

Red face We are nearly down to the last week of the Spring Quarter!

My, my, there is a carload of work to do to finish up this Spring Quarter, but then again, it always seems to be like that.

Digital Darkroom's final is a repackaged/printed replay of this Quarter's image work, now mounted, obviously.

The final printed magazine needs to be produced for Digital Grid Systems ... I have to crank out the working copy, tomorrow. This has several aspects that are NOT ready. Yikes!

The "BINDER" has to be turned in for the Professional Development, including all the things necessary to "apply for the job."

And on Wednesday, I have to participate in a group effort to make a "murder mystery" for the Fundamentals of Video Production. We have three hours in which to light, coordinate and shoot the footage. That's it for class time ... and if we are so blessed, we can keep shooting all weekend, if the group is so willing. Personally, I am not counting on that. Whatever we obtain in three hours ... that is what we have.

So much to do ... so little time! Ah, school, eh?
    Last edited by DonSchap; 06-13-2010 at 10:28 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Well, I finished the rough and semi-smooth editing to the move and it is "watchable!" w/ sound, too. I'll turn over the stuff to the rest of the group and they can create the finalized stuff. I've done my part.

A 30-sec, 100MB wonder!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 06-13-2010 at 03:52 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Angry Incompetency

One of the down sides to the digital photo lab at school is the student to printer ratio, especially in the week before final projects are due. Now in concept, students are supposed to have their images fully and finally edited and ready to hit print. I say in concept because there are multiple individuals who are either too self absorbed or just plain $#&^@$ and don't get it. They get on the few computers attached to the printers and take time editing.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???

Talking Ok ... here's the 30-sec SPOT!

"30-seconds to Death" ... count 'em!

Feel free to make constructive comments here or on the Flickr site. It really is my first real attempt at something like this ... so, take that into account. I am a STILL Photographer.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 06-13-2010 at 09:33 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    "30-seconds to Death" ... count 'em!

Feel free to make constructive comments here or on the Flickr site. It really is my first real attempt at something like this ... so, take that into account. I am a STILL Photographer.
    Don,

My initial reaction was, boy this is so "'50s." Then I read your statement below the video clip saying the assignment was the production of a 30 second clip using classic "film noir" techniques. So, I would say you certainly covered the assignment and packed quite a few "film noir" into 30 seconds.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6

Film:
    What's next???

Cool The Dark Side...

Thanks, Darin

I have to say, a lot of the work we examined in class was directly involved in the development of this effort. The instructor very much wanted to impress the qualities of this type of film work. Fact is, I am no cinematographer, in the least.

This course actually was kind of "unexpected" in my efforts at still photography, but it also made me very aware of just how easy and awful "hot lights" are to work with. They really have their pluses and minuses.

Plus side
    (Pros):
    • Easily measured
    • Constant results
    • Not that much heavier than studio strobes

Minus side (Cons):
    • HOT!!! (Ssssss, OUCH! )
    • Tend to smoke and smell
    • Fire hazard (need to monitored)
    • Require cooling off period before pack up
    • Melt things (reflectors and such)
    • Heavy power requirement (not more than one on a 15-20 AMP circuit)
    • Require heavy-duty extension cords (rated @ 20AMPS)

Again, it was a hasty effort. I really would have liked several more SHOTS involved, to play more to the story line. Given another hour or so to get to these detail shots would have been a great idea, but the team split after three hours. In the end, if was my "cut" that was submitted. for the final grade.

Two more classes, tonight and tomorrow ... Digital Darkroom and Grid Systems. The projects are in progress ...
    Last edited by DonSchap; 06-16-2010 at 12:57 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Thumbs up The end is here ...

Yes ... Summer Break ... three weeks to collect myself for ... yep, still another round of Photo Follies. It will be interesting to see how the grades fall out ... but, for now, I am just kind of glad it is OVER!

I put a link up for my final "MAGAZINE" entry ... and that's here

Actually, that part went very well, tonight. The actual physical production of the final effort was a little tricky with the PRINT SHOP messing up the centerfold, but in the end, the page was reprinted with the correct technique and I got my product. Actually, I printed TWO ... one for the "turn-in", tonight, and the other for me, for inclusion in my final portfolio and presentation to possible employers or clients.

As for those of you who are actually reading this, in the magazine, you might find the "Aperture" article I wrote, accompanied with the newer illustrations of "Depth of Field" (DOF) {on page 10} actually useful. The actual settings and distances involved were calculated with the α850 Full Frame, but the overall principles still hold up using the APS-C sensor, too.

Hey, you never know. It was my quick way of explaining the principle.

All in all, this truly is a load off my mind.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 06-17-2010 at 09:14 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Cool Here comes the Summer Session

Summer Quarter looms ahead ...

Digital Photographic Production
    - In this introduction to digital photo production, students become acquainted with the concepts, hardware, and software related to digital image acquisition, manipulation, and output, including scanning, masking, layering, retouching, and printing.

Database and Web Preparation - This course will educate the student on photo database management, batch processing, and the transfer of work online. It will also include some exploration of AfterEffects, DreamWeaver, HTML, and flash.

Editorial Photography - In this course students produce assignments related to photojournalism, location, and editorial photography. Emphasis is placed on digital technologies and formal assignment presentation. The class is devoted to subject research and creative photography in both fine art and commercial applications.

Oh well, another variety of shots to produce ... and I was asked to continue working for the local Junior College newspaper. Maybe the "Editorial Photography" course will lend itself handily to doing a better job at this.

I can see the light at the end of the courses, though. (Yes, that is a photography pun. Sorry.)

flickr & Sdi

Sometimes education can be as simple as exploration and experimentation.

I have an affinity to Sepia toned images. Those familiar with the film world, are likely familiar with the analog process -- develop your B&W negatives, enlarge the positive B&W print in the darkroom (develop, stop bath, fix and wash), then put the B&W print in a bleach bath until desired amount of B&W image is bleached out, then into Sepia tone bath until image reappears, wash and dry. In the digital world, any color image can be transformed into the realm of "Sepia" toned images. I say "realm" because some camera manufacturers have in-body "sepia" tone settings (for your Sony's check the image style setting menu) that you can use or you can apply the process in PS which gives you the option of Monotone, Duotone, Tritone, and Quadtone. (Note, if you shoot JPEGs and you set your camera on B&W or Sepia, that is what you will get. If you shoot raw, you can use Sony's Image Data Converter to take the RAW image, apply any of the image styles, and export to TIFF or JPEG, while still being able to change the raw image back and forth.)

So, here are some comparisons that I've experimented with:

An original color RAW; adjusted for contrast, clarity, fill light and sharpening:
    Name:  _DSC2506Orig.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  95.8 KB

Sony Image Style B&W applied via Image Data Converter; adjusted for contrast, brightness and sharpened:
    Name:  _DSC2506SonyB&W.jpg
Size:  76.9 KB

Using PS to convert color image to B&W using B&W filter; adjusted for contrast, brightness and sharpened:
    Name:  _DSC2506.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  76.0 KB

Sony Image Style Sepia applied via Image Data Converter; adjusted for contrast, brightness and sharpened:
    Name:  _DSC2506SonySepia.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  88.7 KB

Using PS, convert to grey scale, Duotone applied, adjusted for contrast, brightness and sharpened. (Note, there are so many color options in PS that your Monotone, Duotone, Tritone and Quadtone options are virtually endless):
    Name:  _DSC2506A.jpg
Size:  116.5 KB

A different image using PS Quadtone:
    Name:  _DSC2501Quadtone.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  125.7 KB

The PS process is by far the most versatile. But with that versatility comes a lot of experimentation with the different color options to arrive at a feel that you envision.

So, break out of the box and experiment. Do some self-ed-ja-macation
    Darin Wessel
    α 900

Film:
    What's next???

The B&W or the plain colour would get my vote.