Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 16 of 84 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast

Thumbs up 36" x 24" big print

Well, I received the PRINTs, yesterday, of my FINAL project submission. Foam core and impressive texture (no mounting wrinkles) when printed directly to the board itself.

Name:  WOW-print.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  457.8 KB

This type of print would make for a superior-looking, over-the-mantle family-shot.

So, as I was talking to the printer, he tells me my shot of the "Ai building" is the best he has ever seen and recommended I sell it to the school for publication. Well, I was a bit surprised, considering all the "competition" I have in that particular building and asked if he was just buttering me up. He said he was not and that he had seen dozens of images concerning the school and mine had some serious quality to it, even though I was destroying the building in the offing. He pointed to the clear looking logo on the front of it and the sharp detail I had gotten in the shadows.

I confessed to using Adobe's HDR techniques to make sure I could render it properly, through all the possible changes the poster would be going through with shifts in lighting and various backdrops I might use. Anyway, it made me smile.

So, my friends, on that note, this quarter is ... over. We start fresh on April 5th.

BTW: the reason I left all that background "stuff" in there was to provide something to scale this by ... it is quite room dominating.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-25-2010 at 08:28 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Telephone Camera exercise

The teacher in my digital photo class is considering throwing in a new assignment not on the sylabus. I-Phone (or equivalent cell phone camera) photography.

Since most of the students have 10MP or greater cameras, his thought was to have us go to the low end of digital cameras and test the limits of what we can do with cell phone cameras. Then test and see the limits of what we can do in post-production.

Will know more next week.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???

Angry Wake up, Sunshine!

The Spring 2010 Quarter starts tomorrow ... at the horrifying time of 8AM! Egads!

1) Fundamentals of Video Production ... oh where oh where is my Canon 7D? As if! LOL I have my SONY SR47 Handycam at the ready. Students study the technical terms of video production and learn to operate basic video production equipment, using typical industry techniques. It's a "moving" 101 class! Instead of "Ready, Smile" -> it's "Ready ... ACTION!"

EDIT: Wound up having to buy some better earphones for this class. The standard $20.00 headset/microphone I pack with my laptop is unacceptable for the work they want done. So, I wound up getting a pair of these (<- click this link), which really do compensate for ambient noise, when necessary. Maybe I should get a "shotgun" mike for my camcorder,too. LOL.

2) Digital Darkroom ... ah ha ... creation time, again as the course addresses issues related to color theory, resolution, contrast and density controls and the production of photo quality digital prints from scanned film and direct digital captures.
    3) Professional Development - The course prepares students for their chosen field by examining career paths, assessing their experience, introducing them to methods to further develop their skills and marketability, and giving them practical experience in writing business correspondence and interviewing.
    and this time, a 4th class) Digital Grid Systems where students learn to effectively create and utilize grid systems for layouts in a digital environment, in order to gain an understanding of page layout software and how it can be used to combine typography and imagery into successful single page and multi-page designs.

So ... we begin, again!

All reduced to a "Phone Camera", Darin? Now, there is serious exposure control, eh?

I still am of the mind they should have put a "cellular link" in the VG-C70/90AM Vertical Grip and provided 3G/4G cellular service straight to our DLSRs and the camera's LCD and joystick, for dialing. Now, that's a picture I could appreciate.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-05-2010 at 09:04 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    All reduced to a "Phone Camera", Darin? Now, there is serious exposure control, eh?

I still am of the mind they should have put a "cellular link" in the VG-C70/90AM Vertical Grip and provided 3G/4G cellular service straight to our DLSRs and the camera's LCD and joystick, for dialing. Now, that's a picture I could appreciate.
    Yeah, talk about no control over exposure. Of course, my Blackberry does not have a camera because most courthouses here in So Cal do not allow cell phones with cameras. Too many problems with gang members taking pictures of jurors so their friends outside the courthouses could intimidate the jurors deciding their fellow gang member's fate.

But, get this, I actually had to pay more for the Blackberry version without the camera.

Now, a 3G/4G or heck even wi-fi in the VG-C70/90 would be a stellar addition. It would be great to have your images automatically uploaded through the internet to your home computer.

Don, that looks like quite a course load. The digital darkroom class should prove to be great. If it's even 1/10th as good as some of the stuff I'm seeing produced by the JC students taking Pasadena Community College's digital darkroom class, it will be stunning.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???

Cool Refining class ...

Digital Grid Systems is turning out to be Adobe InDesign, without calling it that. We are going to wind up creating a 16-page magazine of our own subject choice. While they are looking to adhere to a monthly type of publication, the same work goes into a one-off publication, except there is no "next issue."

While there are a whole lot of other subjects that may be a lot more interesting, I am considering producing my own version of the "SONY DSLR Story", which will encapsulate all the weird stuff I have learned over the past four years, reference some of the old information from the Minolta days, and the strange twist we seem to have been recently witnessing in the marketing of these devices over the past 18-months, and it will all without SONY's corporate blessing.

If it turns out nice enough, I will upload it so that new SONY users ("newbies") and interested others can read the "short-version" of this rather interesting tale .. and finally, have access to the words left unspoken by the sales people.

I may include a directory of places where you can find substitute items for the usual SONY branded items, allowing for substantial savings.

Oh, I know parsing my opinion will be a struggle. But, I assure you that I will do the research as best I can to make sure it is as accurate and to the point as I can. I mean, everyone has their own opinion, but this one is mine. You can write your own.

Will this change people's lives or shake the Earth? Probably not ... I am, as I always have been, just happy to see someone get some improvement in their craft, despite the continued lack of informational support we witness on a daily basis from the big "S".

It's like I have to reinvent the wheel ...

So, that goes in the "Upcoming" column, this quarter.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-07-2010 at 03:03 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Red face What happens when I zoom out and step closer?

Tonight's classes were kind of fun and educational for ... many others. Yeah, I was out there teaching the younger photographers the aspects of shooting portraits with lenses hopefully longer than 50mm.

One of the problems with shooting close, at a wider angle, is that you tend to inflate people. While guys might shrug, women seem to have a hard time when you instantly add apparent extra-weight to their faces with a wide angle close-up. Who knew? Well, I did, they didn't.

Anyway, with a smile, I demonstrated the differences in focal length, as we went around the school, indoors and outdoors, doing portraits with external flash. I, as well as the other students, now have to prepare 50 RAW shots and turn them in for evaluation.

That's a lot of work in less than 36 hours. Man oh man ... what am I doing to myself?

flickr & Sdi

Red face Ahhh, homework just ain't like it used to be ...

Admittedly, if you happen to get the right subject going ... this can be fun amidst the work.

Name:  _DSC5035.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  356.0 KB

Okay, I guess it is back to basics, in Digital Darkroom, as we are entering the "Zone System."

They want 30 RAW images (10 portrait, 10 landscape and 10 high-contrast) detailing subject and use of the Zone System for a look-see on Monday night. This should be a handful. I think I head out to Galena, IL, Friday ... and grab a few shot of the vistas of western Illinois ... near my favorite town of Schapville. Who knew, huh?

Name:  schapville map.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  478.8 KB

Last time I was out that way, was to see ... Sarah, Sarah ... across the Mississippi River, in Dubuque, IA.

Name:  sarah-crop.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  377.4 KB

Here's a link to that 2008 Dubuque road trip. It has a couple of my vista panorama images on page 3. The "observation tower" in the distance, just above the roof line of my Avalanche, was closed to visiting, so i could not make use of that vantage point. Maybe this time ...

EDIT: May put the cross-state trip on hold ... just a bit too far for the moment, due to other considerations. That volcanic eruption in Iceland looks interesting, though. Cannot fly there ... the ash could says it is not going to happen ... there or in many other locations. Volcanic rock (dust particles) in jet-intakes don't work very well.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-15-2010 at 02:17 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Thumbs up School versus the real world ... fun on the run

I know it is kind of unfair, taking my time-tested skills into the classroom and participating in the routine images that they make the students perform. Tonight, my recent exposure exercise images were used as text book examples of how to balance exposure, using the Zone System, in extreme lighting situations.

It is kind of strange, now having the understanding/background that the DCRP and other explanatory situations have provided ... and instead of asking questions, actually being able to competently answer the questions. I have to opine that teaching can be fun ... but, unfortunately, not too profitable, from what I have witnessed. There must be a much more altruistic calling to it.

"Light 'em up!"
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-20-2010 at 09:24 AM.

flickr & Sdi

Cool The image begins ... anew

My original WOTW Project moves ahead, as I have finally gotten an unassembled "Fighting Machine" and "Handling Machine" from the UK. The model companies came through, even surprising themselves to find the last remnants of stock that had not seen the light of days for many years. Proof positive that we still can work together as a world, when you really want to.

Name:  MFM-Kit.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  193.7 KB

So ... when I have a free moment, I need to get painting and building these detailed models and craft them to scale reproductions of the awesome weapons of war the Martians hurled at us at the turn of the prior century (1898), before cars, tanks, mobile artillery and other vehicles our military now enjoys. They took time to erect their mighty machines, to dominate mankind. They had their chance ... and blew it. Kind of like SONY, eh? Ulla! ... yeah, sure!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-22-2010 at 12:02 AM.

flickr & Sdi

Lightbulb Under the lights ...

With the Cinematographic course heating up, I am now embarking on the last project, which requires the incorporation of lighting techniques. I had been wanting a set of decent "hot lights" for quite a while, so at student pricing I got three (Key, Fill, Backlight) 1000W Halogens to "sub in" for my normal 750W strobes, so I can do static lighting of whatever set I decide to use.

Each light comes with its own safety screen, a set of four-way barn doors and a handled pan/tilting umbrella mount, for non-oven-mitt positioning of the lamp. Whew!

Unfortunately, the lightweight strobe umbrellas will not hold up against the heat retarding qualities of cinematographic lighting, so I may need another set in the near future, to do the diffused lighting thing. A 1000W is a hell of a lot of radiant heat, that's for sure. So, it is back to the old light meter.

I swear, you could light a cigarette off these puppies!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 05-17-2010 at 04:36 PM.

flickr & Sdi