Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 84 of 84 FirstFirst ... 3474828384
    Interesting stuff, Darin.
    The pursuit of knowledge is never useless!

The final shot from Ai (ILIS)

Well, I must say, it is kind of weird being on the other side of the camera... at the very end of the edjumacation process... but, well worth it, I guess.

A feast for the eyes, right?

Name:  Don-Grads(sm).jpg
Views: 129
Size:  412.8 KB

6/14/2012 - Flag Day to many... Graduation Day to me. Good luck to all who make this journey.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Congratulations Don.

Congrats!!! Bet you are glad the easy part is over!! The hard part is finding a job. I don't think you will have a problem finding one you do good work.

Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro
    Slingshot 200 Bag

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/sparkie1263/

Thanks, Frank.

I think that I'll put you on my "References" list.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Back to Digital Education

I've been absent from the forum for a while due to ... well, life. The past two semesters were spent taking a Large Format and Advance Large Format camera class. Yes, that means film and darkroom, although some of the assignments included digital editing of scanned negatives. Would love to have a digital back for my 4x5 camera, but then you're talking some real $$$ that, frankly, I don't have lying around.

This semester I'm returning to the digital fold with Photography and the Media Profession. This class combines studio and on-sight lighting projects typically encountered by professional photographers with learning the business aspects of photography. So, similar to one of Don's prior classes, the students create their own mock business with letterhead, business cards, and invoices. The teacher is the client. Each class assignment is given a $ value. Much like a business, unless the photographer has communicated with the client and made alternate arrangements, an assignment not completed on time receives no payment. Essentially, the client fired you. At the end of the class, grades will be based on the total $ earned from the assignments.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???

Well, we're at the eighteen month since graduation and I must say, the economy has been "troubling."

I know... "Ya think?"

Man, I have to believe if we had these cameras way back in 2000, the world would have been so different. The digital age was really just getting on its feet and the sky was the limit, then came 9/11 and the haunting began, with the government beginning the massive recording of every thing. People are afraid to reveal anything, anymore. Any new ideas are, effectively "stolen" by government eavesdropping. That precludes invention, I'm afraid... and without that, we are truly lost in time... stuck in a perpetual rut.

Just look to see what little progress there has really been, since 2007.

Anyway, the update.

flickr & Sdi

every economy has been struggling around the globe. no doubt. it can be tough out there.

photography wise though, we've never had it better. the equipment is superb. i'm loving the Olympus gear...the EM1 is brilliant, the EP5 is fabulous...the glass is gobsmackingly good. loving the peerless quality from the d800e that still makes me shake my head; loving the "shitty" V1 for its AF, compact system size and fabulous images. loving the AW1 for its ruggedness and access to places ive never been before. lusting after the sony A7... no, the photography world has never had it so good. 2007 ? please. no thanks. you can keep it !!

most of all im loving the energy the young generation brings. the ideas and the way young minds think and feel the way they always do. i feel completely energized by their creativity and boundless enthusiasm !! scrolling thru flickr is a wonderful experience and a blend of wily experience and youthful exuberance...but always a platform for learning. post your images...show us the things your proud of !! take the test of seeing how much your photography has grown since you started your course.

the graduation was a ticket to entry, not a guarantee of success. the only thing, ONLY thing that guarantees success is the images and your attitude my friend. chin up champ, would love to buy you a beer !!
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Only just seen your Graduation shot Don, congratulations, very well done.
    Even more amazing Rooz offered to buy you a beer!!! and lusting after a Sony too
    Only joking.
    If either of you ever come over to the UK beer's on me. Not that you'd like our warm flat beer though I guess.
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them

I like lots of Sony's. The rx1, rx10, rx100, a7...you know, the ones that are actually good. lol
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr