Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 83 of 84 FirstFirst ... 337381828384 LastLast

Late night mind fry...

Man... I just cannot get to sleep. This is really weird. I have had a lot of intense events happen in my life... but this one has me rocked. I think it is because SONY let me down... with the OVF cancellation... and me considering abandoning my principles and good sense... to migrate to... oh for gosh sakes, yeah... Nikon. Yeah, that has got to be it. It cannot possibly have anything to do with the upcoming show and the end of school in 7-hours.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Yes... with a capital YES

Like I mentioned earlier, no one ever seems to make use of vertical space.

Name:  _DSC4644(sm).jpg
Views: 125
Size:  661.4 KB

Well, that used to be the case, I guess.

Name:  _DSC4649(sm).jpg
Views: 122
Size:  452.8 KB

It was a big hit. Hopefully, we shall see more out of the next quarter's class. The seed has been planted and my Graduation Day is over!
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Congrats again!! Looks great

Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro
    Slingshot 200 Bag

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/sparkie1263/

Nice job Don. I see you had your personal Vanna White fronting the table All that late night worry about switching to Nikon was just a dream. After all, right when you buy that last 150/F2 Nikor some unknown North Korean camera company will buy the Foveon technology and build a 200 megapixel Lytro technology camera with a two day advanced predictive focus system.

Honestly the big print looks stunning and black cloth was a good choice.

Thanks, you two and all of the other silent "well-wishers" (you know who you are).

The Portfolio Show was not without pains... but, the weather held and they came. Seeing all the parents of the graduates, their friends and family was really nice. You could see and feel the pride. Very cool.

Time to add a little something to the resume and signature.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 05-13-2012 at 10:16 AM.

flickr & Sdi

Looks like you did a good job, Don.
    Always nice to stand out from the crowd.

Portfolio

I have to say, the adoring public gave my portfolio pages a real work out. It was fun to give the work a chance to breathe.

Anyway... thanks Peter, it was short-lived.

flickr & Sdi

Schools Out forever!!! LOL

Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro
    Slingshot 200 Bag

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/sparkie1263/

It's definitely wrapping up...

Quote Originally Posted by sparkie1263 View Post
    Schools Out forever!!! LOL

Frank
    A big hunk of change has left my house, in pursuit of major educational successes. On May 12th, my son graduated from the University of Wisconsin @ Whitewater, with a double major in Business & IT. It was big party.

Name:  Field-House_Pano.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  1.71 MB

Name:  a-class-leader.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  477.8 KB

Name:  Kevin-Graduates.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  527.5 KB

These distances made for some tough shots, even using the Metz 76 MZ5 "high beam"... wide open (f/5.6) with the SONY 70-400 @ 400mm.

In June, I get my ceremony! A much smaller class, too. I wonder who I hand off the camera to?
    Last edited by DonSchap; 05-13-2012 at 10:17 AM.

flickr & Sdi

Appreciating Digital's Simplicity

I've been a bit absent from the forum lately, consumed with my advanced large format class and printing in the darkroom. That's right the traditional darkroom. But going even more old school, I took a weekend workshop in wet plate collodian, creating tin types and glass plate positives and negatives.

As a basic comarison, think about how fortunate we are with ditigal - point, compose, shoot and instant feedback on the view screen. Chances of image being damaged or destroyed before printing, slim to none.

Wet plate collodian on the other hand, full hands on from start to finish, but also as close to "instant" as far as old photography techniques go. You take your pre-prepared tin or glass plate and pour your collodian on to coat one side, which is easier said than done. Collodian is liquified cotton which was used (and is still used) as a liquid bandage in the Civil War. The plate is then dipped into a bath of silver nitrate to coat and it is at that point the plate becomes sensitized. Under safe light conditions, the plate is removed from the silver bath, placed in your film holder, taken out to the camera, and picture taken. Your shutter is your hand removing the cap off the lens, giving a rough count depending on lighting conditions, usually around one to three seconds, then placing the cap back on. In total, from the time you place the collodian on the plate, you need to have completed the coating process, taken your picture, and start your development in around 15 minutes.

Name:  _DSC6435.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  354.2 KB
    Name:  _DSC6439.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  381.3 KB
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???