Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 81 of 84 FirstFirst ... 31717980818283 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    My apologies. That shot makes far more sense as a poster. I missed the context.

RE: my suggestions, it is of course only my opinion. But those principals should be considered regardless of the project. If for no other reason than to break the shackles of convention and try new things. Very little good photography these days is so rigid and structured. the really good stuff has infinitely more emphasis placed on creative content expressed uniquely and engaging the audience rather than documentary styled images.
    I agree with a number of the thoughts and suggestions given by Rooz. Seems that the concept could have benefitted from the models performing a scripted action with shots as they moved through the scene rather than posed on the stairway.

Also, maybe it's just me, but there is something really funky about the flames on the candelabra. Looks as though they were added in after the shoot and not well blended.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???

Post rework

I went back in for some image re-development, to give the one shot a bit more location context. The backdrop is photo copyright FreeStockImages.org

From this...

Name:  _DSC3545(sm)wb.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  418.8 KB

to this...

Name:  _DSC3545stone(sm).jpg
Views: 104
Size:  490.1 KB

Down that path into darkness deep as hell?

I agree, I am no where near the best at this and need a whole lot more practice. That being said, Darin, you have to start somewhere. Consider this a start... and from here we build. I tell ya, stacking all those rocks and mortaring them into position, then growing moss and only God knows what else on them... well, that took some time.

An off-topic note: I have been watching this thread, as we go... and it is getting roughly 250 views a night, yet is not considered a "Hot Thread" on this board when I look up the board details. Believe me, the DCRP has seen better days and I know no other thread seems to be getting whacked with views like this one does. You know what would be really cool, would be if a few of these viewers checked in and made themselves known. Thanks for looking, folks. You know who you are.

Last edited by DonSchap; 02-07-2012 at 09:45 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Don,

Decent job pasting in the new background. Not sure I like the red/pink candles. Did you consider losing the rear stair railing? I think the background is getting a bit busy.

@ kgosden: One of the criticisms was to make the candles a non-discussion item by maintaining one color or the other. The white ones tended to get lost on the older backgrounds... and since red was decidedly the "favorite" color... I feel like the man-in-the-middle... I cannot make up their minds!

Okay... hold on... just for discussion...

White candles...

Name:  _DSC3545stone(sm)white.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  488.5 KB

Subdued white candles & NO rear rail...

Name:  _DSC3545railgone(sm).jpg
Views: 102
Size:  479.9 KB

Hmmm... not bad.

Of course, I could always forget the darn candles and flames and go with the more update and ghastly "glowsticks," right?

Name:  _DSC3545glowsticks.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  618.9 KB

Now, there's lighting for ya!

Thank you for your observations and suggestions.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-07-2012 at 11:13 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Don,

I think that the railing is fine when the background was a simple wall. Although I was not a big fan of the railing going through the Phantom's head; even if the line did then lead into the girl. Once you added the stone it had to go as it was getting too busy. Losing all those extra lines makes the merged stone look cleaner as well.

How the hell did you do that ? That looks incredible.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    How the hell did you do that ? That looks incredible.

Thanks, Rooz... I have to admit, I have always found it amazing what you can do with a slab of stones and a detailed selection removal tool... or in this particular case... a masking tool. The original image is still in the Photoshop file, with layer upon layer of modification to it.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-08-2012 at 07:13 PM.

flickr & Sdi

WPPI begins (Internship road trip)

Well, WPPI (Las Vegas) has been going on for a couple of days (since the 16th) and I am flying right into the middle of it, tonight. I am light loaded... with just the FF camera, three lenses (12-24, 24-70, 70-400) and the Metz 76 MZ5. I probably will not be toting the rig around the show, as it is a lot of walking and advice says, "Travel light." I will be backpacking the laptop, though, as the classes have some references to the programs involved. Being wireless should offer me an opportunity to peek in on DCRP activities.

Truly, Wedding Photography is a labor intensive effort. I admire those who can do it with the same intensity as the third time on the twenty-fifth time.

My personal intention is to shoot some images of the strip, Hoover Dam, if I can and maybe some other items of interest.

Anyway... let's face it: It's Vegas, Baby! LOL
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-18-2012 at 10:52 AM.

flickr & Sdi

Viva Las Vegas

Well, Las Vegas did not set my soul on fire. I am still here, for the moment, as Chicago is experiencing some exceptionally foul weather for the next twelve to 20 hours. And, that would be exactly during my return flight.

So, I stayed off the strip, except for a quick drive from one end to the other. One thing I was not set up for was spending a ton of cash in this place. It truly was a complete surprise to me. I suppose had I had a ton of cash to drop... I would bought camera gear.

Fact is, what I found far more interesting was outside the city, in the areas preserved against the intrusion of the electronic curse. Natural beauty should be cheaper, of course.

Name:  VoF3.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  129.0 KB

Out in the "Valley of Fire", I found this rather remarkable looking item. One thing I will say for this park is that you really need to be certain places, at particular times, to get their fill effect. The actual Fire Canyon would probably be best viewed as the sun rises and through the early morning hours. Of course, I did not realize that and we arrive in the late afternoon.

Earlier in the day, we were at "Red Rocks"... and man, that was an attention getter, too.

Name:  redrocks1_HDR2.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  218.2 KB

Name:  RedRocks9_HDR2.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  203.0 KB
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-23-2012 at 08:01 PM.

flickr & Sdi

I didn't change...i just added..lol