Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 80 of 84 FirstFirst ... 30707879808182 ... LastLast
    i think you could be more creative with your choice of poses and compositions. they all seem to be 3/4 body images, full frontal, (so to speak), all shot at f11-ish, all centre frame and all with the models looking in the direction of the camera. there seems to be little genuine interaction between the models so they come across as props. consider some negative space, some more atmospheric shots including the environments, some different angles, ie: from above from behind etc. closer up, focus on individual features, open up the aperture and allow some specific point of interest to shine thru with your dof. i also still think your lighting is too hard casting distracting shadows and reducing the opportunity for a mood to develop. stronger, more powerful light is not always the answer but seems to be a common theme in your images.

post 781 of the girl is a perfect example where you used softer, more even light, a more dramatic and vibrant pose which draws the viewer into the shot and transcends the other images which can appear 2 dimensional and lacking some life. you've also added some interest and drama by the uneven lighting in the background.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Missing the link?

Rooz,

Were you able to inspect the Flickr images? A few addressed the issue you raise.

Name:  _DSC3506(sm)t.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  482.2 KB

Name:  _DSC3545(sm)wb.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  418.8 KB

Try to keep in mind, this was designed as a POSTER-style shoot, not a series of candid shots from the set. I meant to capture the couple, for the most part.

Name:  _DSC3558(sm)POSTERized.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  501.9 KB

Working in a limited arena does make for some tight opportunities. I hope that in the future, it won't be 3AM... and everyone will be a bit more creative. I experimented with a couple of poses, but again... limitations exist. Thanks for the idea set, though. I will keep it in mind, should I do anything of this nature, again.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-31-2012 at 06:14 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

My apologies. That shot makes far more sense as a poster. I missed the context.

RE: my suggestions, it is of course only my opinion. But those principals should be considered regardless of the project. If for no other reason than to break the shackles of convention and try new things. Very little good photography these days is so rigid and structured. the really good stuff has infinitely more emphasis placed on creative content expressed uniquely and engaging the audience rather than documentary styled images.
    Last edited by Rooz; 01-31-2012 at 03:54 AM.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Internship begins...

Man oh man... I had my initial Internship meeting, today... and found myself staring at attending the WPPI Convention, in Las Vegas, baby, on Feb 19-23. As part of my training, to make my mandatory hours target, the attendance is nothing short of being mandatory. So, now I have to book this beast and figure out how to wedge "a week in Vegas" into my life. Yes, I suppose it is a write off, but me... a wedding photographer enthusiast? God forbid! What is the world coming to? Someone will probably see me and say to dreaded words... "OMG! You're HERE?"

I have to say, if I do commit to this, I will have run the table of photography offerings. I suppose it only makes sense, since I have avoided this kind of photography my entire school run. So, why not have it thrust upon me at the very end? Yes, I did do my niece's wedding, but that was on a lark. Have camera, did travel. It gave the Metz 76 MZ5 a pretty good work out, I have to say.

So, the choice seems rather clear... if I do not go, I do not graduate... and that would not be good. I opted for this solution... I have to see it through.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-02-2012 at 09:19 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Posterized variants

Every once in a while I like to play with posterizing some of the shots. One that seemed pretty cool for it was the earlier image with "The Phantom" holding his prodigy. The other one was this composite I drafted...

Name:  _DSC3527chandelier(poster).jpg
Views: 180
Size:  553.6 KB

I don't know... I just kind of liked it like this.

flickr & Sdi

Nice use of the effects on that last one Don.

Need a third shooter in Vegas??? I have my bags packed. Good luck!!

Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro
    Slingshot 200 Bag

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/sparkie1263/

Lincoln Park Conservatory

For my stint of "Internship," I assisted on a clandestine photographic recording of a marriage proposal. It took place in the Show Hall of the Lincoln Park Conservatory, which is quite a place to walk through, actually. Anyway, during the shoot, I had a moment to snap an image of flower in the orchid house. Since everyone seems to be shooting flowers, this month, I figured I could slip one or two in, also.

Name:  Orchid-House-2.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  431.8 KB

Kind of looks like elephant ears and its snout.

Then, while walking around, there was this foliage fan spread that really caught my eye. It was about 6'-7' high. Obviously, with the green house's natural lighting it is cool, but with some well placed strobes with gels, as a backdrop... toss in the girl only wearing a hibiscus in her hair and... mmm, baby!

Name:  fanspread.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  858.4 KB

And then there was this example of "vegetation with a chip on its shoulder," below, which really can clean house: A carnivorous Pitcher Plant! So... I took a picture of the pitcher.

Name:  Carnivorous-Pitcher-Plant.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  673.7 KB

I, then, realized there were at least three of these amazing-looking plants hanging from the ceiling of the orchid room.

Name:  Pitcher-Plant-2.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  962.6 KB

Anyway, all of these shots were taken with the TAMRON SP AF 70-200mm f/2.8 Di LD lens on the front of the a850 (ambient light), so my minimum focus distance was limited to around 38-inches (0.95m). Backing up was a little tough on the paths they had laid out in these greenhouses. I suppose it would be fun to go back there with the 90mm MACRO and do some closer inspections, as Eric might suggest. The M.F.D. for the 90mm is all of about 2-inches, in MACRO. That should get us a detailed look, eh?
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-05-2012 at 12:04 AM.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by sparkie1263 View Post
    Need a third shooter in Vegas??? I have my bags packed. Good luck!!

Frank
    Well, Frank... since this is a no frills trip and all "on my dime"... and because Mr. Cheap is going "on the cheap," I did not book any real space in the hotel room, like the executive suites... with the multiple bedrooms, an attached entertainment area and the complimentary jacuzzi. Heck, I'm not even sure I am going to fit into the room I booked. I needed to keep this week long adventure under $600... and I got really close, but with some compromises (EDIT: I decided that a car should not be one of them and went with the convertible).

Name:  2012-Ford-Mustang-GT-Premium-Convertible.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  63.3 KB

I am traveling at the "darkest hours," in order to reduce the airfare and I figure I need the "student experience." No lavishness, so I can appreciate success when it finally bowls me over, but traveling by bus to the hotel sounds like a total PITA. I have to watch myself on some of this stuff. Besides, I would like to get around and do some photography. Can you say, "ROAD TRIP"?

WPPI represents a golden opportunity... and arguably, some more refined aspects of our craft. I enrolled in a couple of the Platform presentations, the first being Boudoir Photography. I spoke to my Internship provider and found out that type of photography is usually very expensive to do with little return on the investment, unless you have access to studios already set up. Many photographers use hotel rooms, to save time, but the rental of these rooms for the shoot sucks up all the profit in the shot. Still, learning the lighting techniques for this type of shoot may be interesting.

Then, it is on to learning the ramifications of using Flickr as a presentation source for images, while ensuring rights are protected.

Some time off for dinner, then to a show that is still being developed (no pun intended).

That will wrap up day one...
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-05-2012 at 02:20 AM.

flickr & Sdi

Senior Project Critique

Well, I have a truly broad smile on my face for my shoot and its reception by the students and the instructor.

One point that could be easily addressed was the stairwell background. The complaint is that it looks "too modern" and the "lines" on it "are distracting." So... I suppose I am out to find a more "timely" looking texture and through the use of Adobe Photoshop, integrate it as a "more appropriate" looking background. Perhaps a 'stacked boulder' wall... or the underside of one of the Chicago River bridges.

Again, I have a week with that part, because the base shoot was due, today. That's been done. Final submission is next Monday... and I need to find some bang-up alternative additions to do this a little "better."
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-06-2012 at 10:39 AM.

flickr & Sdi