Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 73 of 84 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583 ... LastLast
    Evade...deflect...repeat...Sony...delusion...corpo rate...greed...Sony...Voldemort...deflect...evade. ..I am Spartacus!...Canon...IS...Sony...evade...hmmm, smells like coffee...Nikon...VR...lens based...better...repeat again...repeat again...capitalism...program...inspired...left turn...government...creative?...not with Canon...got it...delusion...reality??...alone...or in twos...one size...SSS...many sizes...IS...fits...all...or...crazy...none...toys ...fleeing...road...block...attic...gone fishing...different...same...greedy...generous...b oard...country...Canon...room...Nikon...hide...ign ore...repeat...again...now...can't...I...believe.. .what...I'm...saying

different enough for you?
    Last edited by TenD; 09-06-2011 at 08:16 PM.
    A good photograph is knowing where to stand.
    Ansel Adams

Rule books are paper, they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.
    Ernest K. Gann-Fate is the Hunter.

Thumbs up Too much time...

Jim, it does appear that you have been listening a little too much to cell phone conversation or at the very worst, tower traffic.

"Uh Roger, Tango... India... Tango... Sierra... Four... Four ... Delta Delta. Please... (squawk)... (mumble)... (garbled) with a left bank at.... degrees."

I do appreciate you hearing every other word and I will try to arrange my diatribe in such a way that every fourth word or so is the important, thought-provoking, and salient center of the conversation. Geez... fries with that you want?

Okay, just buy the SONY system and cut to the chase. I know you want to... I can sense your feelings, Luke. Reach out...

BTW: After spending the better part of the month with the Mamiya 645AFDIII and its 28MP digital back... I think I'll stick with the 35mm-format and take a pass on Medium. I just cannot see the improvement at the usual sizes of Full Frame and this bad boy. For my money, I would not go through the investment for the meager advancement. Again, just my call, but it is how I role. This battery-powered bad boy truly defines a royal PITA. It needs an AC Adapter worse than most.

For Jim, I guess that would be: No girls are really Medium build cuties, but Format that CF in Camera for me at this moment for next time.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-06-2011 at 09:47 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Lightbulb Wrapping up the quarter

I decided to take my final lighting project outdoor, using the radiant sun and reflectors...

This is the first shot:

Golf Rd Trail Head

"So, where are we?"

(HDR)

"Wherever we are... this tire needs air"

"Hey, it's worse than I thought. Let's head back..."

Do they make it back? Has the trail become a "finish line" all by itself?

These and other inane questions will be answered when "Who Cares?" continues...

ssssss...>BAM!< whup-whup-whup . . .

"Yep, thar she blows! Break out that cellular, again.
    At least, we're still near the road..."
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-16-2011 at 10:00 AM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Well... all that electrical nonsense, we suffered, last month, during the rains and the flooding has finally caught up with my newest computer, which I built just prior to these summer storms. I kind of had an inkling that she was crippled, when the sound card began acting up, but then the boot sector of that blazing fast 120 GB SSD went up for grabs, yesterday. So, I spent the best part of yesterday, trying to reconstitute the operating system (Windows 7) on a standard 250GB drive, once again. I mean the C: drive portion of the SSD is still intact and readable, but the darn thing will not act as a boot device. The 2 TB RAID 1 had to be remarried to the new drive and that took 6 hours to resynchronize.

Strange, but then again, ever since the electrical issues of the power off, kind of on, off, and this and that... a lot of the appliances took it on the chin. Most my system UPSs will require replacement, too, as their circuitry was surge blasted! My son just took his and heaved it out of his room. What a mess.

I figure that's at least a $1000 worth of electrical protection that has been wiped out. Vaporized by God. It can take a beating, but this was some of the worst failures we have ever seen. I can see it in my mind, as the shower of arcs and sparks filled the night sky, as several transformers detonated, as lines were ripped away and brought to the ground, by the falling trees. I do not even hazard to think of what might have happened to the computer systems w/o having this stuff inline.

Problem is, I cannot seem to replace it as fast as it is being destroyed.

I mean, fun is fun, and all, but there is a limit to my patience.

flickr & Sdi

I want to apologize to the viewing public, because I did not realize that if you were not a logged in member of the DCRP, you could not see locally-loaded images. Apparently, only third-party sourced images are viewable to non-members, so I have gone back and corrected this issue, with image hyperlinks several of my own postings, from page 61 on.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-13-2011 at 04:58 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Don, you've no need to apologise. This is a recent, possibly unwelcome, innovation.

I did not realize that if you were not a logged in member of the DCRP, you could not see locally-loaded images.
    I did not know that and that sort of thing anoys me on other forums.

I have to say, this quarter was about the slowest one concerning my photography that I have encountered. I doubt this coming one will be as... counterproductive, but you never know. I have some serious issues with one of the upcoming instructors. Something about... having nothing to offer the student. Hey, that's just my opinion. Everyone can get burned as they wish. Far be it from me to interfere. I tried to expose this nonsense. They are just not listening... or do not want to hear it.

I mean, of all the wonderful talent that is out there... to get saddled with... well, all rights reserved, okay?
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-30-2011 at 09:08 AM.

flickr & Sdi

Testing an idea...

In a effort to express my opinion that people are not quite ready for "prime time," I have created a short, comprehensive "TEST," which I rather doubt that current graduates would be... capable of passing. Believe me, considering what we NEED to know, this is nothing. (Skip the first question, because you can crack open your Owner's Manual, if you not already done so and find these parts (if applicable)).

So, respectfully submitted for your consideration:

Comprehensive Photography Final Exam

Why are you taking this test?

This test is a review of the "need to know" basic items that having a solid knowledge of photography entails. It does not test everything you will need to know, but cover important knowledge aspects that will be required at some point in your pursuit. Also, in order to communicate properly and clearly with other photographers and professionals, it is important to have the photography concepts well rooted in your pursuit of the "perfect image."

1. Parts of the Camera

On the illustrations below, locate number corresponding to the following:

a) Lens mount _____
    b) Viewfinder _____
    c) Mode adjustment knob _____
    d) LCD _____
    e) Battery compartment _____
    f) Shutter release _____
    g) Playback/Image review button _____
    h) Menu select button _____
    i) Multifunction toggle _____
    j) Hot shoe _____
    k) Built-in flash _____
    l) Lens Release button _____
    m) Media Card Slot _____
    n) Front Adjustment thumbwheel _____
    o) Tripod mount socket _____

Name:  a700 front.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  95.9 KB Name:  A700-back-24-47.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  27.3 KB Name:  A700-bottom-48-52.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  16.8 KB

2. What is the difference between an APS-C and a Full Frame sensor?

3. How does the difference between the APS-C and Full Frame Sensor affect lens operation?

4. What part of a camera system mainly determines the "Minimum Focus Distance?"

a) Sensor
    b) Lens
    c) Viewfinder
    d) LCD Screen
    e) Electronic focusing system

5. How does the number of pixels the camera's sensor affect the overall image resolution?

a) Direct correlation
    b) Inverse correlation
    c) Does not matter
    d) Huh?

Match the "Type of lens" to the correct mm range from the "Range List":

Name:  Lens types.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  81.8 KB

13. What is the main difference between viewing two subjects, spaced one behind the other, five feet apart, with a normal lens and the same setup with a telephoto lens?

14. What is "HDR" photography?

15. What is the typical standard exposure-gap between a standard three shot HDR image?

16. What basic steps are used to create a panoramic image with Photoshop?

17. What limitation does a panoramic tripod head prevent that a standard tripod might not?

18. What does "Ev0" mean?

19. What does "TTL" (through-the-lens) information provide the camera system?

20. What information does the "advanced" hot shoe provide the "advanced" flash unit attached to it?

21. What is the "pc-sync" or "sync" port?

22. What is Depth of Field?

23. When changing aperture from f/8 to f/2.8, what happens to the Depth of Field?

24. When changing ISO from 200 to 1600, what happens to the Depth of Field?

25. When Shutter Speed from 1/125-second to 1/6-second, what happens to the Depth of Field?

26. What three typical aspects of imaging control the Depth of Field?

a) ISO, Shutter Speed, Aperture
    b) Focal Length, Focal Distance from Subject, Aperture
    c) Focal Length, ISO, Shutter Speed
    d) Focal Distance from Subject, Shutter Speed, Aperture

Simple Exposure Calculation:

Match this exposure set-up, by providing the third missing variable given the following two settings:

Exposure Setting:
    SS: 125
    AP: f/2.8
    ISO: 800

Name:  SS-AP-ISO Test.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  67.4 KB

Metering

32. In manual mode, when reading your light meter indication on your LCD (or in your viewfinder), the indicator is reading a "+1". Does this indicate:

a) Underexposure
    b) Overexposure
    c) You should take another image
    d) Add light

Printing

33. What are the three typical surfaces found on Ink Jet printing paper used in print production?

a. Flat, Smooth, Kind of smooth
    b. Blended, Unblended, Mixed Blend
    c. Glossy, Luster, Matte
    d. Shiny, Flat, Semi-Shiny

34. What are the two "tint" colors?

a. Red/Green
    b. Yellow/Blue
    c. Green/Magenta
    d. Black/White

35. In light, what color of visible light is produced when equal amounts of Red, Green, and Blue light are blended together?

Equipment Considerations and Discussion

36. What is the typical "drawback" of using an APS-C only" lens on a Full Frame camera?

37. What is the limitation of using a Full Frame designed lens on an APC-sensor camera body?

38. What are the advantages of using smaller media cards over larger ones?

39. What are the advantages of using larger media cards over smaller ones? (Remember, there are two-sides to every coin).

40. What is a "GN" number and to what does it apply? (Yes, it does affect your photography)

41. What are the drawbacks to Infrared-triggered flash devices?

42. What are the advantages of RF-triggered flash devices?

43. What is the effective range of the typical reflective panel?

44. What are the three light sources called in a typical three point lighting set-up?

a) Key, Fill, Backlight
    b) First, Second and Third
    c) Primary, Shadow, Highlight
    d) Warm, Warmer, Cool

45. What is a "ring-flash" and where does it typically mount?

46. What is the advantage of a MACRO lens and what is it typically designed to do?

47. What disadvantage do most autofocus MACRO lenses suffer from which makes them difficult to use for most other types of photography?

48. What advantage does image stabilization provide for and what are its inherent limitations.

49. What is the primary use for the tripod stand and where is it typically prohibited? (Please be detailed as to the various uses and intents of deploying this device)

50. What is the major difference between RAW images from the camera and JPG images?

51. Why is it important to take the time to properly compose and "tidy up" your image before you actually take it?

52. What is the use of a polarizing filter? Can this effect be duplicated in post-processing?

END OF TEST

If you folks have additional general questions that you think might be good for such an examination, please feel free to add them in this thread. I just wanted to get this basic version out there, knowing that it would probably be immensely challenging to anyone who is not truly understanding what photography involves. When you have a Bachelors Degree in the Fine Arts of Digital Photography, you had better know.

Thank you for your perusal and suggestions.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-27-2011 at 04:47 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Now I've got a headache!