Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 55 of 84 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast

Thumbs up Making some adjustments ...

Well, in an effort to improve my glass ... (everybody leans forward in anticipation) ...

Yeah, I went ahead with my glass from my Gear List's "el Wish List" and purchased the new SIGMA AF 85mm f/1.4 DG EX HSM Prime, to replace the Rokinon MF 85mm f/1.4 I received an educational discount on it, from B&H Video, and I have been waiting almost a year for SIGMA to release it for the SONY mount. Up until the end of April, B&H did not discount this lens at all. So ... to get something about as close to the SONY CZ 85mm f/1.4 without dropping another $500 for it ... I invested in the SIGMA, to compare it with the Rokinon 85mm and the cheaper SONY 85mm f/2.8 SAM.

Also, I picked up the TAMRON SP AF 60mm f/2 Di-II LD 1:1 MACRO, which has a $100 rebate on it, until July 31, 2011. It is a full stop brighter than the TAMRON SP AF 90mm f/2.8 Di MACRO, does not extend when focusing and will work nicely on either the α700 or α850, in its APS-C capture mode.

It is really kind of a wash in focal length, because the 60mm on the APS-C is the same as the 90mm on the FF. Problem with the older 90mm Di, is that it extends almost two-full-inches as you go close focus in MACRO. My TAMRON SP AF 180mm f/3.5 Di LD is a little darker ... and you really need a good ten-inches M.F.D. between you and Mr. Bug, to make it work correctly.

Pros: The 60mm f/2 is bright, light, and does not change shape as it focuses. It's like the best of all of them ... plus it is physically shorter and easier to tote.

Cons: I'll let you know.

I hot linked all the lens references so you can peruse the available information for yourself.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 05-03-2011 at 10:05 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

The Tamron 60 macro was the lens I was going to get but I wanted a zoom to replace my kit first. Lets see some images.

Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro
    Slingshot 200 Bag

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/sparkie1263/

Spring has sprung!

Quote Originally Posted by sparkie1263 View Post
    The Tamron 60 macro was the lens I was going to get but I wanted a zoom to replace my kit first. Lets see some images.

Frank
    With Spring nearly in full gear ... I hope to.

One other thing, at Ai, the Illinois Institute of Art, in Schaumburg, the Schaumburg-campus has revised its Digital Photography program to reflect the Chicago-campus's offerings, in order to eliminate discrepancies in curriculum if a student were to transfer from one to the other. A lot of courses have been renumbered and the curriculum slightly altered. My courses are staying the same, but new students are going to have to plan with this new line-up. I am posting this just in case anyone reading this is considering this educational pursuit.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 05-03-2011 at 10:16 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    to replace the Rokinon MF 85mm f/1.4 [/URL]
    what a waste of money that was. lol

the tammie 60/2 on the other hand...that looks like a hell of a lens. im surprised it hasnt been more popular around the macro forums. i hope thats not a bad sign.
    D800e l V1 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l EP5 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

So does the Tamron 60mm macro have AF? This picture shows an AF switch but the product highlights say full time manual focus http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...mm_f_2_DI.html

Lightbulb I am not in agreement ...

I know, big surprise.

The Rokinon (Samyang) 85mm f/1.4 was an experiment in image quality and a $259 band-aid in lieu of the "not-yet-released" $900 SIGMA 85mm f/1.4 DG EX HSM. It was a "get there from here" solution to decline from investing in the $1400 SONY CZ 85mm f/1.4, which I still, to this day, think is over-priced and rather heartless in the "big-picture."

Sorry, but if you are willing to drop that kind of coin for a silly CZ-certificate, fine ... have at it. Not this guy. The CZ 135mm f/1.8 is one of a kind, so there you're rather stuck buying Zeiss-glass. But, the 85mm f/1.4 ... not so much. SONY recently offered the 85mm f/2.8 SAM, which is a nice consumer-grade lens, but ... the f/1.4 is two f/stops smoother and the build far studier ... and it is hard to argue that, in the grand design of modern photography. Anyway, my suggestion is that if you are strapped for cash and still need a short-tele for portraiture (and who doesn't?), this MF baby can deliver the goods. Manual focus is not all that critical or crippling in a studio setting, so unless your subject is hopping all over the place (it could happen), this would be a reasonable purchase, despite opinion to the contrary.

A "waste of money" is up for debate.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 05-04-2011 at 09:30 PM.

flickr & Sdi

So is it full time manual focus or is it like the picture and has AF?

Exclamation Take note of descriptive acronyms in the lens names ...

The short answer, "Switch", is that the SP AF 60mm f/2 Di-II LD is autofocus, designated by the "AF" in its name.

Here is a key to some of the other TAmROn Optical/Mechanical Feature Acronyms:

IF - Internal Focusing
    ASL - Aspherical
    LD - Low Dispersion
    AD - Anomalous Dispersion
    XR - Extra Refractive Index Glass
    Di - Digitally Integrated Design
    XLD - Extra Low Dispersion Lens Element
    ADH - AD-Hybrid Aspherical
    Di II - Lenses for Digital SLR Cameras Only
    FEC - Filter Effect Control
    SP - High-performance S3pecifications
    ZL - Zoom-Lock Mechanism
    LAH - LD-Hybrid Aspherical
    VC - Vibration Compensation
    AF/MF - AF/MF Switchover Mechanism
    USD - Ultrasonic Silent Drive
    PZD - Piezo Drive

TAmROn tends to be a bit effusive in describing their lenses in their titles, but you know what you are getting.

I hope you find this information useful.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 05-04-2011 at 09:35 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Question Shameless self-promotion

Okay okay ... why not? If you don't toot your horn, who is gonna?

So, on Wednesday ... I went for it, again. It's mug time!

Name:  _DSC7763-small.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  366.4 KB

flickr & Sdi

Is there something special about the mug? I don't see it's importance.

But the photo looks good though.