Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Threaded View

Thumbs up Making some adjustments ...

Well, in an effort to improve my glass ... (everybody leans forward in anticipation) ...

Yeah, I went ahead with my glass from my Gear List's "el Wish List" and purchased the new SIGMA AF 85mm f/1.4 DG EX HSM Prime, to replace the Rokinon MF 85mm f/1.4 I received an educational discount on it, from B&H Video, and I have been waiting almost a year for SIGMA to release it for the SONY mount. Up until the end of April, B&H did not discount this lens at all. So ... to get something about as close to the SONY CZ 85mm f/1.4 without dropping another $500 for it ... I invested in the SIGMA, to compare it with the Rokinon 85mm and the cheaper SONY 85mm f/2.8 SAM.

Also, I picked up the TAMRON SP AF 60mm f/2 Di-II LD 1:1 MACRO, which has a $100 rebate on it, until July 31, 2011. It is a full stop brighter than the TAMRON SP AF 90mm f/2.8 Di MACRO, does not extend when focusing and will work nicely on either the α700 or α850, in its APS-C capture mode.

It is really kind of a wash in focal length, because the 60mm on the APS-C is the same as the 90mm on the FF. Problem with the older 90mm Di, is that it extends almost two-full-inches as you go close focus in MACRO. My TAMRON SP AF 180mm f/3.5 Di LD is a little darker ... and you really need a good ten-inches M.F.D. between you and Mr. Bug, to make it work correctly.

Pros: The 60mm f/2 is bright, light, and does not change shape as it focuses. It's like the best of all of them ... plus it is physically shorter and easier to tote.

Cons: I'll let you know.

I hot linked all the lens references so you can peruse the available information for yourself.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 05-03-2011 at 10:05 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi