Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Threaded View

Des Plaines, IL

Thumbs up Making some adjustments ...

Well, in an effort to improve my glass ... (everybody leans forward in anticipation) ...

Yeah, I went ahead with my glass from my Gear List's "el Wish List" and purchased the new SIGMA AF 85mm f/1.4 DG EX HSM Prime, to replace the Rokinon MF 85mm f/1.4 I received an educational discount on it, from B&H Video, and I have been waiting almost a year for SIGMA to release it for the SONY mount. Up until the end of April, B&H did not discount this lens at all. So ... to get something about as close to the SONY CZ 85mm f/1.4 without dropping another $500 for it ... I invested in the SIGMA, to compare it with the Rokinon 85mm and the cheaper SONY 85mm f/2.8 SAM.

Also, I picked up the TAMRON SP AF 60mm f/2 Di-II LD 1:1 MACRO, which has a $100 rebate on it, until July 31, 2011. It is a full stop brighter than the TAMRON SP AF 90mm f/2.8 Di MACRO, does not extend when focusing and will work nicely on either the α700 or α850, in its APS-C capture mode.

It is really kind of a wash in focal length, because the 60mm on the APS-C is the same as the 90mm on the FF. Problem with the older 90mm Di, is that it extends almost two-full-inches as you go close focus in MACRO. My TAMRON SP AF 180mm f/3.5 Di LD is a little darker ... and you really need a good ten-inches M.F.D. between you and Mr. Bug, to make it work correctly.

Pros: The 60mm f/2 is bright, light, and does not change shape as it focuses. It's like the best of all of them ... plus it is physically shorter and easier to tote.

Cons: I'll let you know.

I hot linked all the lens references so you can peruse the available information for yourself.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 05-03-2011 at 11:05 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi