Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 54 of 84 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast
    Not really, Don.
    I think the subsequent discussion reinforces your point that Frank should engage with this young model and help her get some decent shots for her portfolio.
    I think Frank is up to the challenge if not for the challenge.

Rooz, I have no objection to a different point of view but you'll have a hard time convincing me that the image in question is a good one.
    The only saving grace is the young woman which is why it's a pity the Photog blundered in so many ways.
    Just MHO.

Not trying to convince you peter. We are looking at the image differently and in different contexts. It would be a very boring world if we all agreed.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Amen to that.
    Everyone would be after my Missus, or yours! LOL

Don, how do you deal with copyright and model release forms.
    That might be useful info if Frank decides to give it a go.

Lightbulb Contractual Model Release

Quote Originally Posted by Peekayoh View Post
    Don, how do you deal with copyright and model release forms.
    That might be useful info if Frank decides to give it a go.
    Well, I have a small form which prevents the model from laying claim to any rights to the images, as they surrender them to me. Oh, they have the right to use what I provide them, also, for non-commercial (paid) ventures, such as portfolio promotion, but that is it. If they want to sell the images, I have to be consulted.

Open w/ Adobe Acrobat Reader

Model Release - Sdi _Minor & Adult_.pdf

JPEGs

Minor form

Name:  Model Release - Sdi _Minor & Adult_-1.jpg
Views: 812
Size:  1.07 MB
    Adult form

Name:  Model Release - Sdi _Minor & Adult_-2.jpg
Views: 3647
Size:  1.24 MB

Obviously, you will have to type up your own ... but I figure this is a reasonable template for us non-pro camera jockeys. You should also remember that these forms are DATE SPECIFIC and have to be completed and witnessed BEFORE every shoot. DO NOT make them out after the shoot has taken place, or they may be contested and deemed null & void. What good is that?
    Last edited by DonSchap; 05-01-2011 at 01:25 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Exclamation Moving on ... the Business Plan

The Business of Photography course has been getting more and more focused on the 99% aspect of professional photography ... which is just about anything but a shutter pull. Once you commit to trying to make money from your hobby, a couple of strange things begin to happen: as I mentioned before, you are literally forced to concentrate on one genre of the art. Why? Because in today's world, there are so many photographers vying for business, that the customers literally have their pick and choose of anyone of them. Logically, they are going to concentrate on the one that concentrates on what they want from him. Hence, if you have a portfolio of really nice, but various works in fashion, nature, architecture, family portraits, and, let's throw in some dandy aviation snaps, you will be cast aside for a lens-man that has the specific one choice they want. Why? Because your experience may be vast, but it is too diluted in the specific to be significantly important.

Let's face it ... if you take ONLY one thing ... chances are, you are really good at ... that ONE THING. At least, that's the way the customer sees it. So, in the end you MUST choose. A "generalist" may be of some value to a small town, in the middle of nowhere, where the competition is few and far between, but get to a small city ... and that changes. Get to Chicago ... uh, no work for the generalist. You will starve to death.

Hence, with this choice, they tell me comes the eight elements of "Business Plan."
    1. The Name of Your Business
    2. Your Mission Statement
    3. Your Target Market
    4. Your Products & Services
    5. Your Fee Structure and Price List
    6. Your Business Entity
    7. Your Marketing Strategy
    8. Your Financial Projections

This is getting complicated ... and the fun part of doing this, seems to be over.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 05-02-2011 at 11:56 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Well thats the thing, its school, it might be fun for the first couple days maybe even a couple weeks. But in the end its always school and it SUCKS.

Lightbulb Business is business ...

You misunderstand me, "Switch" ... it's not school that sucks, it is the amount of work the "business" end of photography represents. Ask yourself, "did you hear cash register bells when you put your camera to your eye and began taking the images you love?" I know I sure did not. The art becomes corrupted when you do. There are darn few people pulling down coin by taking images THEY want to do.

Heck, when you get into the "Bride-zilla"

Name:  bridezilla.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  44.3 KB

and the "Mom-zilla" aspect to this source of revenue, those folks can be the game-changers. After a couple of those events, you may find yourself seeking another (much less brutal) line of income.

Then, of course, the "tax man" cometh ...

Name:  the_tax_man_cometh.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  37.6 KB

and that is were your record-keeping skills will determine the rest of your business life.

To kind of drive this back-breaking point home, they are having us read the specific assignments and write "impact commentary" on how these aspects of the photography business will fit in with our (collectively speaking) current method of shooting and the product we plan to market. It is a graded piece, all ten of them, and depending on how insightful your written work is ... well, your grade hangs in the balance. Personally, I am coming up with several pages for each assignment. It is worse than an essay on the subject, because it is much more of a personal review. As I look at the other students, I realize many of them are not taking this information to the level they need to ... and feel their grade will reflect it. Heck, there is one student that refuses to provide these examinations. "Can't be bothered."

This is only the school part ... cripes, that's simple. No one is going to sue you or penalize you for not paying your "fair share" ... yet.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 05-03-2011 at 09:03 AM.

flickr & Sdi

Talking Registering for the 2011 Summer Quarter

Getting down to the wire, they tell me. Three quarters left. This upcoming one is as I suspected, Photographic Studio, Internship, and Seminar in Humanities.

Photographic Studio - In this course students develop the ability to solve problems of visual communication through assignments designed to challenge their skills in lighting, camera operation, and commercial interpretation. All aspects of studio photography are discussed from lenses to lighting and people to products.

Internship - Through a field Internship experience, students apply acquired subject matter and career/professional skills in a real and practical situation. The main objectives of the internship are to allow students the opportunity to observe and participate in the operation of a successful business related to their fields of study. Students will gain the experience they need to enter the field when they graduate.

The sad part of the Internship is that I have to pay the school to take this course. Honest to Jake! If it was not expensive enough, paying to go to work? Huh? Better be one hell of a job, at these rates.

Then .... five more classes left. Time waits for no man.

flickr & Sdi

You can come work for me how much do you pay??? LOL I heard of cheap labor but this has that beat!!!

Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter