Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 52 of 84 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast
    Don, I like #4, the model seems at her most relaxed though you need to watch for those background distractions.
    Don't have the model to look straight in the camera all the time; #1 would have worked better if she had been looking down at the shoe as she adjusted it. But look how that vase of flowers grabs the eye, turning attention away from the girl.
    Three quarter profiles tend to be more flattering to the model, use her right side if you do that, it seems to be her better side.

All IMHO, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Peekayoh View Post
    #1 would have worked better if she had been looking down at the shoe as she adjusted it. But look how that vase of flowers grabs the eye, turning attention away from the girl.
    Three quarter profiles tend to be more flattering to the model, use her right side if you do that, it seems to be her better side.

All IMHO, of course.
    I'm sorry, Peter. Whatever do you mean?

"Oh, I see ..."

Name:  _DSC6892-small.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  266.3 KB
    α850 w/ SIGMA 24-70mm f/2.8 DG EX IF HSM

Okay, that "relaxed" #4 shot came out of the SONY CZ 135mm f/1.8 ... and it made for an extremely tight frame, with the limited distance I had available, squared up on the model ... but, the model successful crawled into it and voila!

Name:  _DSC7010-small.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  318.7 KB
    α850 w/ SONY CZ 135mm f/1.8

I flat could not back up any further (about 12-feet max) and this was on a Full Frame (α850) camera body. The only alternative would have been to ease back with my TAMRON SP AF 90mm f/2.8 Di or the Rokinon 85mm f/1.4. I really was looking to demonstrate the incredible resolving power of the lens (which you cannot fully appreciate in this forum, but the difference is just amazing, upon close examination. (Image @ 100%)

Name:  _DSC7010-in-tight.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  128.9 KB

The 135mm is definitely worth every penny I popped for it.

The next planned shoot, I may use the MF 135mm f/2.8 (4.5) STF lens, to see what I can do with the bokeh. If the weather holds, I may do a side-by-side, with the CZ and it, just to see ...

Once again, though, try to bear in mind the nature of these images. It is for a catalog. That's it. They do not have to be all that aesthetically pleasing, just eye-candy, to get people to look quickly, and order the products listed. I am just trying to be sure I have the right light around the subject, good backdrop, if any ... and then punch it up to fit the formula. The 135 shot ... will not do that, sadly. It was meant to be an ad hoc portrait, using the same togs.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-23-2011 at 11:53 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Well, it works.
    If I were to envy any lens in your bag, they would be the ZA135 and the STF.
    But I can't make up my mind which to save for.

Lightbulb My suggestion ... based on output

Without a doubt, the lens I grab for without hesitation is the Zeiss.

Unless you are a fan of Manual Focus ... the "STF" requires a little more thought and care in the imaging process. The long and short of it is:
    • The CZ 135mm f/1.8 zeroes right in and BANG, it is done. IMO, the best no-brainer experience you will have.
    • Old school throws the STF 135 the ace, because you can "craft" your shot ... softening the edges of your bokeh-backgrounds and lights. Had that lens been out in the world, say back in the 70s and 80s ... it would have been the ACE of Spades and a lot of future glass probably would have been based on the very-pleasing effects it provides.

Both lenses are awesome ... and the f/1.8 also has the added edge of low light operation. The STF ... not so much. Although it states f/2.8 on the box and the lens. it really is an f/4.5, due to the design and second set of aperture blades.

Name:  STF 135mm f28.jpg
Views: 2666
Size:  365.1 KB

Good luck with your decision. It's not a bad one to have. I couldn't decide. So, it was BOTH!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-24-2011 at 10:56 AM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Red face Did not get to the 135mm f/2.8 [4.5] STF

Well, my shot went down and because the rain was so persistent I did not really get enough distance during the shoot to make use of the SONY 135mm f/2.8 [f/4.5] STF lens.

The weirder part is that during the shoot, I abandoned the SIGMA 24-70mm f/2.8 DG EX IF HSM zoom for the fixed SONY 50mm f/1.4! I mean, the price difference here is a whole different issue. To think, I could gotten away with this with that lens is kind of ... well, sad. The amount of money we are talking about is scary. I kind of wish I had the SONY 35mm f/1.4 G for comparison reasons and it might have relaxed the distance problem, too. Obviously, with that short of a focal length, you could have a fight on your hands with the "plumping up" of the ladies, when you go in for a portrait. 50mm is kind of the minimum.

Anyway ... did the shoot, despite the rain. Got some pleasant results.

Name:  _DSC7284-small.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  486.6 KB
    w/ SONY CZ 135mm f/1.8

Name:  _DSC7365-small.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  379.8 KB
    w/SONY 50mm f/1.4

Name:  _DSC7214-small.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  453.0 KB
    w/ SIGMA 24-70mm f/2.8

Gee, Frank ... kind of makes ya wanna shoot the 50mm, eh?
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-28-2011 at 05:17 PM.

flickr & Sdi

I have been using that for all my indoor shots. Nice series of images.

Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro
    Slingshot 200 Bag

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/sparkie1263/

Thumbs up Solo model

A "series" is a good way to put it, Frank. I have been concentrating on using talent I can actually say is very competent and reliable. I have found that getting that kind of support is very challenging, these days. It may have also been that way, before, but I was not using it at all. I have also been faced with so-called "talent" that ... well, had none.

We were asked to develop a "catalog" of goods and base it on something that could be varied over 24 pages. Well, I figured if I could do it with a single model, I would give it a try, so these images reflect the variety you can get from one model. She's got the skills to pull it off, so ... yeah, baby!

I hope you guys are enjoying the fruits of my labors. It does get tiring, every so often.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-28-2011 at 10:14 PM.

flickr & Sdi

I wish I had someone I can get to model for me. I would like to give it a try. The grandchildren get tired too quickly. I tried some shots today with a Easter Bunny.LOL I got tired before the bunny. Keep up the good work. I might head out erly and look for some more birds.

Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro
    Slingshot 200 Bag

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/sparkie1263/

Lightbulb Ideas for models

Frank,

You should try Model Mayhem for sourcing models who will shoot for a variety of compensations. I always try to use "TFP" (Time for Prints) or DVD. There is a model near you, in Forked River, NJ ... whose MM# is 484775,

"HeatherrJoy"

Name:  HeatherrJoy.jpg
Views: 505
Size:  134.8 KB

who you might want to investigate. She was on as recently as 3 days ago. Maybe she could provide you someone who could benefit with a dedicated shutterbug. Do those weeds look familiar?

Just a thought.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-28-2011 at 07:38 PM.

flickr & Sdi

I think I see a bird in the bush!!! I don't have the confidence to work with a real model. She is only ten minuets away.

Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter