Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 50 of 84 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast

Red face The stink of the whole thing is ...

The print production class is nothing more than a more intensive version of the digital grid class. For the most part, it is a repeat, as I have tried to explain. It has no real "introduction" value, because I have already done it. So, what is it ... just an additional cost.

C'mon guys ... my biggest contest is paying for valuable knowledge, that's all. I truly feel that this course is just busting a photographer's chops. Wasting my time and $$$. That irks me. At least make me learn something new ... not a more intensive repeat of something I probably will not be using. Once is enough.

Oh sure, I can game it and do some spectacular work. I then look at it and say, "big deal." I now have a $500 useless catalog and restaurant menu, to join my $125 24-page magazine and $600 50-page book. Again, I do know better ways to make use of money than that. Arguably, I spoke to the instructor to see what minimum costs were and he went on to describe some schlock efforts from prior classes. Again, that sounds pretty pathetic when you consider the rather substantial tuition being paid to attend this institution. You do not want to waste a minute ... it is kind of expensive.

So ... for the moment I am stuck, but I want you all to know that I will make a concerted effort to curtail this class for future attendees ... and try to get the far more applicable color management course started. I contend that the digital grids course was plenty introduction to graphic arts for most photography students.

Darin, sounds like you are having a blast. Enjoy the developing nature of your efforts.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-09-2011 at 10:28 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    what business degree did you do that require science and history ? in what context were those subjects introduced ?
    It was General Business and they weren't introduced they were just required classes.

Lightbulb Had me a shoot, today ...

So, there I was ... facing off with another model ... me and the rig ... and her looking real slick ...

"Check out this coffee cup ..."

Name:  mel-sdi.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  184.6 KB

Name:  _DSC6540-adj-crop-small.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  301.8 KB

Name:  _DSC6552-adj-crop-small.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  356.9 KB

I raised the glass ... took careful aim ... and three hours later, I evaporated the entire space on a 16GB flash card. The a850 gobbled that puppy up with JPEG + RAW like it was made to. I was sure glad I started with the card empty, that's for sure.

Man, I remember when I had my Canon EOS 20D ... and its 8.1 MP shots ... a 2GB Flash was a reasonable size. Now, shooting three times that size, per image ... in duplicate mode ... the memory disappears REAL FAST!

Anyway ... I'm here to tell ya ... if it ain't 16GB ... it's too small. Don't believe me ... shoot 'em up! I, frankly, was a little stunned myself.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-14-2011 at 03:39 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Thats why they sell 64GB cards now lol

Lightbulb An outdoor one for Spring

I felt this one came out kind of nice while fighting some serious direct sunlight to get it.

Name:  _DSC6589-crop-adj-small.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  485.7 KB
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-14-2011 at 06:53 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    I felt this one came out kind of nice while fighting some serious direct sunlight to get it.

Name:  _DSC6589-crop-adj-small.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  485.7 KB
    Nice sharp image. I love her eyes. I think you could have used a reflector on her right side to fill in the shadows.

Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro
    Slingshot 200 Bag

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/sparkie1263/

School work

Hey Frank,

thanks for looking at the work and I appreciate the feedback. The main problem with working in blinding and direct sunlight is that it is EXTREMELY hard to see the image after you have taken it, on the LCD. That part is insane! I hate it.

Cover it with your hand ... try hide the camera in shadow ... it sucks for exposure evaluation purposes. Cripes, I figure I'm lucky if I get a decent range on it. I may just bring a drape with me and wear it as a cape, next time, like they did using the land cameras.

That way, when I 'chimp' ...

Name:  chimping_art_little.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  23.9 KB

I can see the variations clearly. ooh, ooh!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-15-2011 at 10:50 PM.

flickr & Sdi

I know it is hard. I wouldn't have though to use a reflector if I was taking the shot. There is too much to think about and until it becomes second nature to you it will be trial and error. Not saying this shot was an error but could have been a HR.

Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro
    Slingshot 200 Bag

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/sparkie1263/

Thumbs up Ongoing improvement

Frank,

Thanks for your assessment ... Wednesday, 4/20, should be another opportunity to correct ... the sun will be reduced.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-19-2011 at 09:53 AM.

flickr & Sdi

Don,

While it is yet another thing to buy and carry, a fine white silk diffuser would have worked well to block the sun. I would have tried to tone down the bottom of the picture a bit in post ... it's a bit hot for my taste.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???